Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I hope you all can help me. I've got a 2004 sienna xle limited awd that I bought and the owner lied to me about the engine being "rock solid." Turns out the headgasket was shot and was pushing exhaust back into the cooling system. Long story short, I replaced the engine. After the engine replacement, the steering was off to the right by ~30◦ to the right and it turns out the shop did not reinstall the steering shaft correctly. However, the van drove fine but the slip indicator would chime and the van would pull to the left as i went around a wide turn past 50mph. I did not know the shaft was incorrectly installed until I took the van for alignment 4 months later after the engine replacement when they found the issue.

Fast forward to today, the steering wheel is straight after alignment but if I try going past 30mph in a straight line, the van would instantly freak out and engage the brakes to pull me to the left. I downloaded techstream and bought a mvci cable and under ABS/VSC/TRAC it showed me:
C1223 ABS Control System Malfunction
U0121 ???
U0123 Lost communication with Yaw Rate Sensor Module
U0124 Lost communication with Lateral Acceleration Sensor Module
U0126 Lost communication with Steering Angle Sensor Module

I cleared the codes and they didn't come back (I haven't driven the van since making this post, so its possible they will.)

After this, I did a Zero Point Calibration.

For giggles, I did a Signal Check and got the following DTCs:
C0371 Yaw rate sensor output signal
C1271 Low output signal of Front Speed Sensor RH
C1272 Low output signal of Front Speed Sensor LH
C1273 Low output signal of Rear Speed Sensor RH
C1274 Low output signal of Rear Speed Sensor LH
C1275 Abnormal change in Output signal of Front Speed Sensor RH
C1276 Abnormal change in Output signal of Front Speed Sensor LH
C1277 Abnormal change in Output signal of Rear Speed Sensor RH
C1278 Abnormal change in Output signal of Rear Speed Sensor LH
C1281 Master cylinder pressure sensor output signal is Faulty

I looked at the live data under the DLC tab on techstream and found that none of the sensors are reporting sensible data. For ex, Steering angle is at 1183 (i think), Lateral or YAW is at -0.01. None of these numbers changed as I jiggled the steering wheel or moved the car side to side.

Oddities:
-No CEL, ABS, VSC, etc to indicate a fault, these only show up with techstream.

As a side note, my sienna has the DLC option which does not work. When I try to enable it, the screen says "e3."

My questions are:
1) What do I do about the slip control? Is there a junction/connector that could have been left unplugged during the engine swap?
2) Are these codes not throwing on the dash warning lights because they only pertain to my DLC thats not working because of this?
3) If all these faults are true, why does slip control still engage the brakes? Shouldn't the control modules be taking in data to make a reasonable judgement to see if the vehicle is indeed slipping off the road?

I've sunk so much money into this van and would just like to drive it. It seems this should be the last and only issue thats left. I'm at your mercy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:
I found a solution. For some reason, I had to do the zero point calibration via techstream twice.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Make sure that the steering column is properly centered to the rack. The spiral cable (clockspring) can be damaged if the wheel is very far off center.

And yes, good to hear that you discovered the ZPC procedure. Anytime the wheels are aligned or suspension disturbed, the yaw and steering angle sensors have to be re-aligned electronically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Make sure that the steering column is properly centered to the rack. ...
I'm sure thats where the mechanic screwed up and where the alignment shop spotted it. Shame they didn't even bother with doing ZPC since they are a big brand shop in our area.
I would also like to add that the ZPC did not work for me via the paperclip method.

To anyone who may be reading this in the future, its best to use the mini-vci adapter with tech stream and perform the ZPC there. Also check for play in the suspension, I found a slight amount of play in the rack and pinion bushings and slight play in the passenger side ball joint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts