Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Anyone have good jack stand placement pictures for a 2006 Sienna LE 2WD? I've never dealt with a unibody before and it just seems that the jack stands would just crush that pinch weld. I haven't really fooled around under the car yet, but just eyeballing doesn't produce any good spots. Service manual has the stands placed at the same lifting pinch welds. Any techniques or good places for the jack stands would be greatly appreciated, especially pics if you've got them.

By the way, this is an awesome site! Info abounds.

Thanks again for your time

·
Premium Member
318 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
The manual looks like they should be on the pinch welds. Unless your jack stands are shaped properly you'll just crush them. I generally jack the van with my floor jack with the "puck" adapter I made (hockey puck with the correct v-notch in them to fit the pinch welds), and then put jack stands under the suspension a-arms near the wheels. Works for me.

thegrap said:
Hi folks!

Anyone have good jack stand placement pictures for a 2006 Sienna LE 2WD? I've never dealt with a unibody before and it just seems that the jack stands would just crush that pinch weld. I haven't really fooled around under the car yet, but just eyeballing doesn't produce any good spots. Service manual has the stands placed at the same lifting pinch welds. Any techniques or good places for the jack stands would be greatly appreciated, especially pics if you've got them.

By the way, this is an awesome site! Info abounds.

Thanks again for your time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have that, but that is what I mean. I don't see how I could place a jack stand on the pinch weld without crushing the pinch weld. Do they make special jack stands?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tcp. I've jacked it up from the "front middle" spot from the manual. Certainly gets it up without using the pinch welds. I'll see if I can see what you mean. Did some searching for special jack stands to no avail. It seems this is a pretty common problem for people. Seems odd that no one has come up with an adapter of some sort. They have them for jacks, but not stands.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I guess I just go by what the owner's manual says for jack placement. It shows exactly where to place the jacks/stands, and doesn't mention anything about special adapters, pucks etc. Besides, the "pinch weld" is about 1/4" thick and has two spot welds about 1" apart at the jack locations. Next time you are at the dealership, take a look inside the service area. Their lifts have flat pads that engage the vehicles at the jack locations. They don't have a drawer of adapters for each vehicle

My only suggestion would be to buy jack stands that have a shallow "V" cradle, not the ones with the deep "V". This minimizes the chance of damaging the body from contacting the stands.

I have completely lifted the van over a half-dozen times and the pinch-weld jack locations look perfect - the paint hasn't even worn off.

Of course, everyone has a different comfort level for their vehicle, and it wouldn't hurt anything to use custom built frame adapters. I just don't see the point.

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
892 Posts
happycamper said:
I guess I just go by what the owner's manual says for jack placement. It shows exactly where to place the jacks/stands, and doesn't mention anything about special adapters, pucks etc. Besides, the "pinch weld" is about 1/4" thick and has two spot welds about 1" apart at the jack locations. Next time you are at the dealership, take a look inside the service area. Their lifts have flat pads that engage the vehicles at the jack locations. They don't have a drawer of adapters for each vehicle

My only suggestion would be to buy jack stands that have a shallow "V" cradle, not the ones with the deep "V". This minimizes the chance of damaging the body from contacting the stands.

I have completely lifted the van over a half-dozen times and the pinch-weld jack locations look perfect - the paint hasn't even worn off.

Of course, everyone has a different comfort level for their vehicle, and it wouldn't hurt anything to use custom built frame adapters. I just don't see the point.
Thanks for this info. It's definitely valuable. I always hesitate to lift up the vehicle because I'm not certain where to place jack-stands that have a shallow V. It's probably everyone's fear that either the vehicle may fall or that the jack locations may bend.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
happycamper said:
Besides, the "pinch weld" is about 1/4" thick and has two spot welds about 1" apart at the jack locations.
The thickness there is due to reinforcing plates which are for exactly this purpose. Not all cars have (or had) them, so the concern about supporting the edge of the welded seam seems entirely reasonable to me, but Toyota has addressed that concern in this case.

I do note that the manual says to use a rubber (well, they say "gum" but I'm sure that's just bad translation) pad on the lift arm - I think they just want some way to keep the vehicle from slipping.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I always hesitate to lift up the vehicle because I'm not certain where to place jack-stands that have a shallow V. It's probably everyone's fear that either the vehicle may fall or that the jack locations may bend.
I always set the vehicle on the jack stands, but leave the jack in place so that the stands are carrying about 90% of the weight. I then aggressively rock the vehicle back and forth. The theory being that I would rather have something happen while the jack is still in place, and before I crawl under the vehicle. Then, I remove the jack if I need the space to work.

Also, I would recommend double locking, jack stands with at least a 3 ton capacity.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305225_200305225

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought 3 ton jack stands and placed them underneath the spots where the stock jack is supposed to be used. I used a floor jack to lift up the rear end, placed the jack stands on both sides and slowly lowered. I did the same with the front and no problem. The jack stands were purchased @ Harbor Freight and the tops were in the shape of a "U" This made rotating tires a snap vs. using the donut spare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I have that, but that is what I mean. I don't see how I could place a jack stand on the pinch weld without crushing the pinch weld. Do they make special jack stands?
Since I've only worked on passenger cars and vans, I've never seen a vehicle that *didn't* have pinch welds, and I've also never seen one vehicle crush the pinch welds when they were supported by jacks. I've even had it where I would jack the vehicle up by one pinch weld and still no problems. And the jack had a flat top, no V-cuts, no notches.

Those weld tabs are much stronger than you think. They have to be because that's the only spot the manuals state to place a jackstand under. (that and the front and rear center)

The worst I've seen is when one piece of steel tab is a mm or so longer than the other, and that sort of makes a *popping* noise and it sure does scare the bejeezus out of people nearby! But that's the worst it gets, just a scary noise.

Jack the van up by the front center area, then place the stands under the tabs (likethe manual says to), and you're good to go. No need for special stands or anything like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jack the van up by the front center area, then place the stands under the tabs (likethe manual says to), and you're good to go. No need for special stands or anything like that.
I agree with Zernderfall. This is how I have been doing it on my Sienna for 9 years. No problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also concur - I always jack from front-middle or back middle, and support both under the pinch welds with standard jack stands. I also agree that its easy to over-think things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the e-brake on and I jacked the sienna up from the front jack point and put two jack stands under the pinch welds.
Then began to jack up the back from the jack point and no sooner did the rear tires clear the ground, the car fell off the front jack stands. What did I do wrong? Surface is flat and I have put two other cars (SUV and coupe) on stands in this manner.
jack points:
Line art Auto part Diagram Parallel Steering part

pinch welds:
Motor vehicle Line art Automotive design Automotive exterior Drawing

mangled jack stand (sorry it looks sideways and I don't see how to rotate the pic):
Wheel

·
Registered
103 Posts
I always leave the parking brake off when I jack up a vehicle. I use wheel chocks instead. When you jack it up with the parking brake on the vehicle will try to roll on the tire, thus trying to move rearward as you raise the front. With wheel chocks it will rotate on the axle instead and not move. You probably had some forward or rearward force built up with the parking brakes that was suddenly released when you jacked up the rear tires.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts