Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our van is sitting at just over 600kms on the odometer. Today while waiting in the van, I decided to play some music with a bit of Bass.
Well I thought it would climb into the back to see how much that JBL sub puts out, and to my surprise essentially nothing was coming out of it.

The only bass was coming from the front door speakers. So I adjusted the fade all the way to the rear, and still almost no output from the sub. Honestly can almost not feel vibrations from the cover with my hand.

anyone else experience this? Fixed it?

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,102 Posts
So our van is sitting at just over 600kms on the odometer. Today while waiting in the van, I decided to play some music with a bit of Bass.
Well I thought it would climb into the back to see how much that JBL sub puts out, and to my surprise essentially nothing was coming out of it.

The only bass was coming from the front door speakers. So I adjusted the fade all the way to the rear, and still almost no output from the sub. Honestly can almost not feel vibrations from the cover with my hand.

anyone else experience this? Fixed it?
I have similar thought as yours, but not exactly. For a while, I thought the sub was at the front-center by the windshield. That is where most of the bass appears to come from. Also, fading to rear reduces bass that confused me even more. However, I can hear the sub when I have lift gate open so I know it is working. However, it is not what I thought I would feel. May be it is designed to fill in bass in a closed space without giving away where it's hiding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Platinum edition and I have to agree. The bass sounds to me like it comes mostly from the front windshield. Same thing happens when I fade and lift the tail gate. Besides that it's pretty loud. I'm adding a subwoofer enclosure this week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Platinum edition and I have to agree. The bass sounds to me like it comes mostly from the front windshield. Same thing happens when I fade and lift the tail gate. Besides that it's pretty loud. I'm adding a subwoofer enclosure this week.
That is depressing, the fact that the factory Sub is essentially just for looks and puts out 1% of what the front speakers puts out, it’s not right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I added an after market sub. Beware after that. You will have a humming noise coming out the speakers. Some may call it engine noise but in this case it's not. It usually comes from the high end jbl system or the top tier siennas. I have the platinum. After taking the system apart a few times trying to figure out where the noise is come was coming from. We thought at first it was a bad ground. Everytime I opened the door it would stop. After long research I figured it out. The noise come from a feature called ANC and ESE. It's a noise cancelation the car or sound system throws out to the speakers in order to make the inside of the vehicle quieter. This noise some how was entering the after market speakers. I took it to the dealer to get it turned off. All the noise is completely gone now. Sub sound incredible with the premium system. That little kick that was missing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I added an after market sub. Beware after that. You will have a humming noise coming out the speakers. Some may call it engine noise but in this case it's not. It usually comes from the high end jbl system or the top tier siennas. I have the platinum. After taking the system apart a few times trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. We thought at first it was a bad ground. Everytime I opened the door it would stop. After long research I figured it out. The noise comes from a feature called ANC and ESE. It's a noise cancelation the car or sound system throws out to the speakers in order to make the inside of the vehicle quieter. This noise some how was entering the after market speakers. I took it to the dealer to get it turned off. All the noise is completely gone now. Sub sound incred with the premium system. That little kick that was missing.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,102 Posts
I added an after market sub. Beware after that. You will have a humming noise coming out the speakers. Some may call it engine noise but in this case it's not. It usually comes from the high end jbl system or the top tier siennas. I have the platinum. After taking the system apart a few times trying to figure out where the noise is come was coming from. We thought at first it was a bad ground. Everytime I opened the door it would stop. After long research I figured it out. The noise come from a feature called ANC and ESE. It's a noise cancelation the car or sound system throws out to the speakers in order to make the inside of the vehicle quieter. This noise some how was entering the after market speakers. I took it to the dealer to get it turned off. All the noise is completely gone now. Sub sound incredible with the premium system. That little kick that was missing.
Nice!

Any noticeable increase in ambient noise at higher speeds, or during windy conditions?

Also, if you temporarily disable the added sub, does the built in sub in the hatch sound any better with ANC and ESE off?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great question. I havent disconnected the subs since I installed it. I have notice the white noise gone and the engine pur just a tiny bit more now that i turned off ANC and ESE.. Never noticed a difference at higher speeds or with wind conditions from then and now with it off. The van is pretty quiet on the inside. I have to say the sub definitely enhanced the sound. All the factory speakers sound great once after market sub is added.. The only thing lacking big is the factory sub.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread makes me wonder why I am holding out for a Woodland vs an XLE partly because it has the JBL stereo. I don't need video or features for backseat passengers, I just want clear, crisp sound for music. Is the JBL system a true upgrade vs the system in the standard XLE?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread makes me wonder why I am holding out for a Woodland vs an XLE partly because it has the JBL stereo. I don't need video or features for backseat passengers, I just want clear, crisp sound for music. Is the JBL system a true upgrade vs the system in the standard XLE?
I can't speak to the base stereo in the XLE, but I have the JBL system in my Woodland. The system is good but not really impressive. You save more than $5,000 on the XLE vs. Woodland, so I can't see how the upgrade is worth it if the key feature of the Woodland for you is the stereo. Unlike others in this thread, I CAN hear bass from the subwoofer, but it's not body-shaking (nor would I want it to be). Deep bass is not directional (or not as directional as higher frequencies), which is why bass from the rear of the Sienna can't be identified by the driver. I can clearly hear bass coming from the subwoofer when I stand under the open tailgate while music is playing.

One more note: The rear entertainment system is an option for the Woodland (mine does not have it), and I think for most other trim levels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't speak to the base stereo in the XLE, but I have the JBL system in my Woodland. The system is good but not really impressive. You save more than $5,000 on the XLE vs. Woodland, so I can't see how the upgrade is worth it if the key feature of the Woodland for you is the stereo. Unlike others in this thread, I CAN hear bass from the subwoofer, but it's not body-shaking (nor would I want it to be). Deep bass is not directional (or not as directional as higher frequencies), which is why bass from the rear of the Sienna can't be identified by the driver. I can clearly hear bass coming from the subwoofer when I stand under the open tailgate while music is playing.

One more note: The rear entertainment system is an option for the Woodland (mine does not have it), and I think for most other trim levels.
thanks for the feedback. finding the cheapest model with the best available stereo is always a starting consideration when i buy a new car. i don't have young kids and plan to use the van as a pickup alternative. the woodland is set up with the features that i will use. the inverter is the thing that seems to impossible to add to an xle.

on a completely different note, has anyone stuffed the woofer box with poly fill to improve the sound? there seems to be some debate on the actual value of stuffing sub woofer boxes with poly fill. i know it made a big difference in my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

i had crawled into the back of our 22 Limited, and there was essentially nothing coming from the subwoofer. Front bias or rear bias made no difference, turning up the bass output made no difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The JBL subwoofer is a complete joke and the 2nd row and 3rd row speakers sound tinny / like crap as well. Only the front dash speakers sound adequate. What a complete disappointment the JBL system is for the price paid. JBL should be embarrassed to have their name associated with it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts