Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a fwd with the 3" lift kit. Ordered 235/70r17 from Costco. They now just refused to put them on due to clearance. Anyone confirm these will work? Any problems with auto socks or chains? Any recommendations for a tire that'll be mostly on road with occasional rain/snow? Will need to be able to pull the fwd over the mildest fire roads/loose rock roads to camping and fishing.
Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there,
I have a fwd with the 3" lift kit. Ordered 235/70r17 from Costco. They now just refused to put them on due to clearance. Anyone confirm these will work? Any problems with auto socks or chains? Any recommendations for a tire that'll be mostly on road with occasional rain/snow? Will need to be able to pull the fwd over the mildest fire roads/loose rock roads to camping and fishing.
Thanks so much in advance!
This website calculator seems to say it is ok:
(put in your current and desired wheel sizes)
But the mechanics likely have lots of experience, so they might be saying stuff with very good reasons. Why exactly are they saying it is not a good fit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The manager said it was over a 3% increase in tire size and that he didn't think there'd be enough clearance (I assume in the wheel well). He also said my third strike was buying an a/t tire for a vehicle that'll see far more pavement than dirt. I mean, I get his point on the a/ts but it's also my car, my problem 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks! The manager said it was over a 3% increase in tire size and that he didn't think there'd be enough clearance (I assume in the wheel well). He also said my third strike was buying an a/t tire for a vehicle that'll see far more pavement than dirt. I mean, I get his point on the a/ts but it's also my car, my problem 🤷‍♂️
From that calculator I linked above, I think that there would be space in your wheel wells, but definitely less space than stock. The bigger issue are the front wheels. The taller tires change the geometry as the front wheels are turned, and there could be issues with clearance with the bigger front wheels when you turn the steering wheel. And raising the van doesn't necessarily help with this, in some cases, it can even make it worse with the clearance of the front and/or rear edges of the front tires (as you turn the steering wheel).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Costco has a conservative calculation they go by. I’ve never seen them venture outside of that. So never go to Costco to have them install anything too far from stock.

You can buy the tires and take them to another shop to install.

I’ve always gone to discount tires for all my wheels and tires because they are much more knowledgeable on aftermarket fitments. This goes for sports cars as well as off-road vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts