Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just chatted with Mike from Journeys Offroad (Prescott, Arizona) and he is in the process of producing these 3.5" lift kits for 2nd Gen Sienna's. He has a few more detail here: http://journeysoffroad.com/toyota-sienna-lift-kit.html

Since I have a 3rd Gen, I spoke with him about that and he thinks it will work. Since he can't be 100% sure on the 3rd Gens he is looking for a test vehicle so if you have a 3rd Gen in Arizona which is not your daily drive he'd love to talk with you. Details on being a test vehicle are here: http://journeysoffroad.com/contact.html

They have kits for Previa AWD's which run $449. I'd guess the price will be in that neighborhood.
http://journeysoffroad.com/toyota-previa-lift-kits.html

The Previa kits look very well thought out so I'd assume Mike is putting the same level of attention into our Sienna's.

If you want one Mike said to email him and say Sienna. When he's ready to ship he'll search his email for Sienna and contact everyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why Gen2? I love my Gen2 LE and all, but I would think market would be better for
a more current model.

I'm idly shopping for a Gen3 AWD, and a kit like this would be my first addons.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike is very interested in doing a 3rd Gen kit. I believe he has gotten many requests for Sienna lifts and the bulk of them are for 3rd Gen. However, I believe he may have purchased this 2nd Gen to do the project. His website says: "We picked up a 2004 Toyota Sienna AWD To Build a lift kit for the 2004 to 2010 vans." This makes sense considering you can find 2004's at very low prices but finding a 3rd Gen cheap would be rough.

He's looking for a test vehicle:
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects/44930-test-vehicle-3rd-gen-lift-kit-needed-prescott-az.html

It is pretty likely I will try his 2nd Gen kit on my rig. Fat Bob's Garage in Layton, UT seemed interested in trying the project with me. They want to see what Mike's kit has and go from there once it is available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG!! I've been having this fantasy of having a lifted minivan for a couple years already. Sharing my idea with my friends, some make fun of me, some thinks the idea is ridiculous. But I think it would be the best mix of both world. Don't want a sprinter van (they look good, but too big and too expansive for what I want to do), started to shop 4runners, beefy but not enough room to sleep in it..

I own a Honda Odyssey 2000 and I'm very satisfied with it. The only thing is I got stuck a few times cause of the clearance and the 2wd. If this will come true, I'm shopping right now my sienna 4wd and will be good to go! Can't wait to see that happen.

Quick question: Once those kits will be available and I order one, who should I go see to install it on the van? Normal garage? 4x4 custom dudes? I live in the Bay Area, if you have suggestions, I'm totally open for them.

Can't wait to see your builts as well!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would also love the idea of having a van which can be made a bit more off-road capable. Mainly ground clearance so one can go on some rougher roads. Sprinter is too expensive and too tall. Same for the 4WD Ford E-Series. And the Metris 4WD is not offered in the US. I have seen some great 4WD vans in Iceland this summer and wish some of these options would be available in the US.
So a used late 2nd gen AWD Sienna retrofitted with a lift kit could be a decent and cheap option. And it would solve the hitch scraping issue... lol
But does the AWD work well in mud? I have never driven one.
And a front tow hook may not be to bad either.

By the way there is a Canadian company selling lift kits for the 3rd gen Sienna on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-sienna-suspension-lift-kit-uuv-ultimate-utility-vehicle-/322144724357?hash=item4b01526585:g:O~sAAOSwvFZW63Bf&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
m11k: I'd have it installed by a 4x4 shop. They can call Journey Offroad and probably get an idea of the effort needed. Just be sure the same shop you have do it will have it aligned.

Tex: I wouldn't hope for much mud performance from an AWD van. Remember as that wheel spins the van is going to try to shift power to a non-slipping wheel; in rear mud that might be 0 wheels. I think these kits are just for ground clearance and bigger tires.

These are likely pretty different kits with different approaches. The seller of the ebay kit is on this forum if you're curious. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat.

As for the Journey Offroad kit. I'm anticipating this kit will be much like the 4x4 Previa Kit. It will use front strut mount extension and a coil spring spacer in the rear. Again I assume it will include all the bolts, alignment bolts, extensions needed. I'd assume the price will be in the $550 ballpark with a cost of about the same to install plus alignment.
Journeys Off Road's AWD 2" Lift Kit for a Toyota Previa AWD 1991-1997 kit includes:

Two (2) Custom Front Strut Extensions
  • Two (2) Rear Coil Spring Spacers
  • Two (2) Rear Coil Spring Polyurethane Isolators
  • Two (2) Custom Bump Stop Extensions
  • Two (2) Custom Rear Shock Adapter/Extensions
  • Two (2) Extended Front Brake Lines
  • Two (2) Camber Adjustment bolts
  • Front Differential Drop Kit
  • All hardware and instructions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Sierrasclimber

Is any of you ordered the kit already from Journey Offroad? How does it go? Satisfied?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard that they have started shipping the kit. They are a small operation so sliding past their target available date wouldn't be shocking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
how is the CV shaft angle on the front with 3.5in lift? I was under the impression 2.5" was the max lift you would want to put on the shafts?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the 2004-2010 Kits are available for AWD or FWD.

http://journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html
2004-2010 Toyota Sienna AWD​ 3.5" Lift Kit

Complete kit with everything you need to lift your Toyota Sienna AWD. Fit tires up to 245/65R17 ​29.5"/750MM maximum tire diameter .
Journeys Off Road's 3.5 Lift Kit for a 2004-2010 Toyota Sienna AWD kit includes:
  • Two (2) Strut Extensions
  • Two (2) Sway Bar Links
  • Two (2) Camber Adjustment Bolts
  • Two (2) Rear Axle Drop Brackets
  • Two (2) Rear Bump Stop/Shock Extensions
  • Two (2) Extended Rear Brake Lines
  • Exhaust Offset W/ Clamps
  • Rear Differential Drop Kit
  • All Necessary Hardware and Instructions
$750.00 including shipping & handling
All Toyota Sienna products have a 10 day handling time and includes USPS priority shipping within US territory. Including Alaska, Hawaii & P.O. Boxes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't heard 2.5" is ok for the CV angles? Pretty sure it's not. And 3.5" isn't ok either. That doesn't mean you can't do it. I have heard if you are putting longer springs in the front coils 2" is probably about the limit and may not be so good as it is.

A little while back I crawled under the rig and took some photos of the CV at 0", 1", and 2"
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects/19433-2-inch-lift-my-2014-xle-awd-3.html

I think this pretty much falls under the it's up to you to decided if a premature CV failure is ok with you.

I have heard from Gonzo that he had trouble aligning at 3.5" and recommended 3" might be a better call. I'm a little surprised Journey Offroad didn't include the front differential drop in the kit but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

For me now the question is if the Journey Offroad kit for 2010 would plug and play into a 2014?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't heard 2.5" is ok for the CV angles? Pretty sure it's not. And 3.5" isn't ok either. That doesn't mean you can't do it. I have heard if you are putting longer springs in the front coils 2" is probably about the limit and may not be so good as it is.

A little while back I crawled under the rig and took some photos of the CV at 0", 1", and 2"
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects/19433-2-inch-lift-my-2014-xle-awd-3.html

I think this pretty much falls under the it's up to you to decided if a premature CV failure is ok with you.

I have heard from Gonzo that he had trouble aligning at 3.5" and recommended 3" might be a better call. I'm a little surprised Journey Offroad didn't include the front differential drop in the kit but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

For me now the question is if the Journey Offroad kit for 2010 would plug and play into a 2014?

I’ve been reading a lot about lift kits, and I may even try to talk my wife into giving our van to Journeys Off-road as a test vehicle since we live under 2h away.

Have there been any reports of CV joint failure or is it just a theoretical cause? What symptoms would it even cause?

I’ve seen some Sienna handicap accessible vans with very serious lift. I would assume that those companies would have the most experience with possible failures, unless they include a diff drop with their kit...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I can say if these kits were available I wouldn't blink about ordering them with the possible CV joint concerns. From what I saw when I crawled under ours; these rigs were made to be lifted in the rear. The rear axles are actually pointed up slightly from stock. So this said, the crew lowering the rear are really pushing the CV joints. I've noticed over the years many of the mobility vans are often only lifted in the rear. So for me that really only leaves the front CV's as a possible issue which is a gamble I'd be willing to take.

From what I have heard typically when CV joints go bad they leak oil/grease out of the CV boot. That said I haven't read any reports of bad CV joints on Siennas with lifts or lowers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I can say if these kits were available I wouldn't blink about ordering them with the possible CV joint concerns. From what I saw when I crawled under ours; these rigs were made to be lifted in the rear. The rear axles are actually pointed up slightly from stock. So this said, the crew lowering the rear are really pushing the CV joints. I've noticed over the years many of the mobility vans are often only lifted in the rear. So for me that really only leaves the front CV's as a possible issue which is a gamble I'd be willing to take.

From what I have heard typically when CV joints go bad they leak oil/grease out of the CV boot. That said I haven't read any reports of bad CV joints on Siennas with lifts or lowers.
i have about 15,000 miles on mine with 2.5" lift front and back - No CV issues yet. The front was my only concern because i dropped the rear diff those angles are pretty close to 0 and i plan on going up to 3.5 in the rear soon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These just showed up available for Gen 3. I ordered one up and will try to install ASAP and post my thoughts after I get it installed.

http://journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html

Complete kit with everything you need to lift your Toyota Sienna AWD. Fit tires up to 245/65R17
​29.5"/750MM maximum tire diameter .

Journeys Off Road's 3.5 Lift Kit for a 2011-2018 Toyota Sienna AWD kit includes:
  • Two (2) Strut Extensions
  • Two (2) Sway Bar Links
  • Two (2) Camber Adjustment Bolts
  • Two (2) Rear Axle Drop Brackets
  • Two (2) Rear Bump Stop/Shock Extensions
  • Two (2) Extended Rear Brake Lines
  • Exhaust Offset W/ Clamps (certain models require simple tail pipe modification)
  • Rear Differential Drop Kit
  • All Necessary Hardware and Instructions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone been running the 3.5" lift on a 2nd gen awd? I see lots of people talking about doing it but no real feed back on wear and tear or the build quality of the kit.
I don't do crazy offroading, mostly just forest service roads and some light trails getting into camp sites. I bring my wife and 1yr old son along so reliability is my top priority.
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, what wheels and tires are people running who have done the lift? I was looking for something like the Goodyear Duratrac, but it’s only available in a 245/ 70R17, not 65R17.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts