Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sienna sales are down 45% compared to last June and down 40% YOY.

Toyota appears to be prioritizing RAV4 Hybrid sales, which have gone up from 24% to 43% of total RAV4 sales.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for that, those numbers explain a lot. Looks like the Indiana plant has suffered really badly as Highlander sales (even non-hybrid) are almost as bad as Sienna. Can only hope second half improves for all of us in line to get one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
One day we may find out what's really going on. My nascent theory is that Toyota is quietly, but consistently, moving its assets south. I think in the next few years we will be seeing most action below the Mason-Dixon line. They already said that the new battery factory (= shortcut to the electrified future) will go up in NC, while TX, AL, TN, and KY ops will get upgraded and expanded. Wouldn't be surprised if Princeton will be let to wither on the vine.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

$803 million investment and 1,400 new jobs announced last year, a friend's kid got an engineering job there last fall.

The Grand Highlander and the Lexus TX are rumored to be the two new Princeton CUVs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We’ve been waiting five months for our Sienna and are still number 11 in line at our local dealership (Minnesota’s largest). The allocation last month was just two Siennas. My sister and brother in law found out they were having their fourth kid and in a matter of a couple weeks had a new 2022 Odyssey. We want AWD and hybrid, and are willing to wait, but that’s a huge difference in wait times for two competitors.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Definitely not in the interest of the manufacture to create an artificial shortage. There will be nuts out there pushing all sorts of nutty crap. The manufactures need to put the hammer down on some dealers that are violating some standing agreements to not sell above mrsp. Ford says they are going to do that with their high demand lightning truck, others need to follow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are the numbers of sales comparing years?

Of course sales numbers are down. When you can't build them, you can't sell them.

On the other side of the coin. Carvana just gave me a huge offer on my 2021 XLE FWD with 7,800 miles on it. Basically $7k more than the original MSRP. I didn't pay MSRP I was able to negotiate when I got mine. That means they can sell it used for $10k over MSRP or more. Crazy times folks.

Luckily for me, the majority of the soccer mom crowd was going for SUVs and trucks. They consider a sedan for old folks. I was able to pick up a 2015 Avalon Hybrid cheap last year to offset the mileage I was driving for my job. I only have 59k miles on it. It will last the amount of time for vehicle sales to stabilize.

·
Registered
763 Posts

$803 million investment and 1,400 new jobs announced last year, a friend's kid got an engineering job there last fall.

The Grand Highlander and the Lexus TX are rumored to be the two new Princeton CUVs.
In other words, you believe that the big reduction in the sales of the Sienna and Highlander (I don't think Princeton makes any other Toyotas?) may have something to do with the plant needing to re-tool for these two CUV's?

What's really going on is a shortage of supplies. That's it. There's a conspiracy theory that this is a fake shortage to make more money, but the only ones making the money here are the dealers with their insane markups. Why would the manufacturers do that?
There are few conspiracy theories about the real cause of the supply shortages :)

I am certain the manufacturers can- and do charge dealers higher prices than they did in the antebidenian era. The so called MRSP used to function as the "asking price", but now it is just a number that has very little meaning. So yes, everyone is charging more, in line with the inflation.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In other words, you believe that the big reduction in the sales of the Sienna and Highlander (I don't think Princeton makes any other Toyotas?) may have something to do with the plant needing to re-tool for these two CUV's?

There are few conspiracy theories about the real cause of the supply shortages :)

I am certain the manufacturers can- and do charge dealers higher prices than they did in the antebidenian era. The so called MRSP used to function as the "asking price", but now it is just a number that has very little meaning. So yes, everyone is charging more, in line with the inflation.
It's more likely that given the limited supplies of chips, Toyota decided to focus on RAV4 production, which actually increased significantly year-over-year. I'm sure there's lots of analysts at Toyota considering best allocation of the limited resources to maximize production and profits. Of course, if we have to put a political spin on things, maybe Toyota likes Canada and is doing our plants here in Ontario making RAV4's a favor? :)
As for dealers being charged more for cars, the biggest impact would be the removal of any manufacture's incentives. Given that normally incentives are mostly a given, that would be equivalent to a cost increase for the dealers. I doubt they actually increase the list price, especially given you can still find dealers willing to sell at MSRP.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's more likely that given the limited supplies of chips, Toyota decided to focus on RAV4 production, which actually increased significantly year-over-year. I'm sure there's lots of analysts at Toyota considering best allocation of the limited resources to maximize production and profits. Of course, if we have to put a political spin on things, maybe Toyota likes Canada and is doing our plants here in Ontario making RAV4's a favor? :)
As for dealers being charged more for cars, the biggest impact would be the removal of any manufacture's incentives. Given that normally incentives are mostly a given, that would be equivalent to a cost increase for the dealers. I doubt they actually increase the list price, especially given you can still find dealers willing to sell at MSRP.
I am not sure if it's the chips [alone] that are limiting production, or if Toyota favors ON over IN in an entirely unselfish way. It may be their most profitable plant for supplying North America. Or the plant whose products induce less warranty PITA for Toyota.

I am wondering the same. How the hell have the plants been able to keep employees employed full time with the "shortages" after nearly 2 years and how come nobody has figured a work around for the shortages. Even if it meant paying more for a certain part, you would think we would have a solution by now. It's just strange, I guess the manufacturers are still receiving covid relief funds?
It took a few decades to dismantle and outsource the elaborate ecosystem of supply chains, engineering expertise, and skilled labor that once enabled the US to design, develop and build just about anything. It would be naive to count on recreating this ecosystem in a couple of years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What's really going on is a shortage of supplies. That's it. There's a conspiracy theory that this is a fake shortage to make more money, but the only ones making the money here are the dealers with their insane markups. Why would the manufacturers do that?
I am wondering the same. How the hell have the plants been able to keep employees employed full time with the "shortages" after nearly 2 years and how come nobody has figured a work around for the shortages. Even if it meant paying more for a certain part, you would think we would have a solution by now. It's just strange, I guess the manufacturers are still receiving covid relief funds?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
All that LEAN MANUFACTURING BS is hurting Toyota in its behind......

·
Registered
2 Posts
We’ve been waiting five months for our Sienna and are still number 11 in line at our local dealership (Minnesota’s largest). The allocation last month was just two Siennas. My sister and brother in law found out they were having their fourth kid and in a matter of a couple weeks had a new 2022 Odyssey. We want AWD and hybrid, and are willing to wait, but that’s a huge difference in wait times for two competitors.
We’re have been waiting since June 2021 for a platinum

·
Registered
882 Posts
All that LEAN MANUFACTURING BS is hurting Toyota in its behind......
At this point it probably does not matter whether it is just in time model or having one month stock of supplies. When it is gone, it is gone and until it gets restocked, they are where they are......in a big hole....it would have just been delayed by a month.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts