Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been away for a while and recently returned to a Sienna. I just purchased a new 22 XSE fwd. I didn’t have much of a choice in regards to inventory, would have preferred a AWD. I needed to replace the vehicle right away since I just sold a 22 Honda Odyssey, wasn’t a fan of the Honda. I am happy with the Sienna and wish I would have found a awd xle for the smaller wheels, the 20s are a bit big for my taste. As many of you probably know these vans are nearly impossible to find and they sell before they arrive at the dealership. I spoke with 5 other dealers and they wanted between 2k-5k over sticker which is a joke. I can’t understand why anyone would pay that over sticker. So back to the question. I live in Ohio and sometimes we get a decent amount of snow as many of you probably know which makes me wonder if I should get winter tires or try and find a awd once things cool down. The vehicle was purchased as an extra vehicle for the home and might only be driven 3-5k miles a year, possibly less. We have 2 other cars that are 4x4. I would really like to hear peoples thoughts on this topic. Also anything I need to know about the XSE since this is a new trim for me and I am not super familiar with the features, it seems like a sportier Sienna with the bigger wheels. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly, i've always been underwelmed by FWD minivans in the snow. Usually left struggling for grip. I can't speak for the traction control in the Sienna in snow yet, but winter tires would probably be on my agenda. You mention you have other 4x4 cars, which would probably be my first choice in heavy snows where you need to get around. But if you need the space and size of the minivan, then winter tires get my vote.

One way to think of justifying the cost: A set of winter tires could be equal to your insurance deductible if you get in a crash and have to pay for something. (or close enough).

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
... I live in Ohio and sometimes we get a decent amount of snow as many of you probably know which makes me wonder if I should get winter tires or try and find a awd once things cool down. ...
Should you get tires? Depends on where in oHIo you live. If you are in the Cleveland area, you probably should. However, if you are closer to Cincinnati, why bother?

For some people, "a decent amount of snow" might mean a few storms with 2-6" overnight. For others, that "decent amount" might be 12-18", so please define "a decent amount" and say at least which corner you are in. I am in southwest oHIo. Over the last 20 years or so, I have had a Previa AllTrac, an '05 Sienna LE AWD and currently an '18 XLE AWD. I use the same Michelin Defenders on them all year-round with no problems. The only time I have had any problems with traction was when there was a sheet of ice under the snow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are valid points, I appreciate the feedback. I am outside of Cleveland and while we get some snow it’s not nearly as bad as maybe 10-15 years ago. I’m more concerned about taking trips to UP Michigan and other areas that get hammered with snow. I also don’t like putting winter tires on 20s, I think I only saw one option for that size. Maybe a wheel/tire combo is easier. I believe the tires on the van right now are Michelin primacy, I believe they are good tires. So if I did consider the option of trading into a 22 xle AWD, can anyone provide feedback on when it might become easier to make that switch, does it seem like things are getting easier or more difficult. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech Package
232 Posts
The Sienna LE and XLE came with 17" standard, you can get winter tires in 17" or 18" no need to get the same 20" came with the XSE.

·
Registered
103 Posts
These are valid points, I appreciate the feedback. I am outside of Cleveland and while we get some snow it’s not nearly as bad as maybe 10-15 years ago. I’m more concerned about taking trips to UP Michigan and other areas that get hammered with snow. I also don’t like putting winter tires on 20s, I think I only saw one option for that size. Maybe a wheel/tire combo is easier. I believe the tires on the van right now are Michelin primacy, I believe they are good tires. So if I did consider the option of trading into a 22 xle AWD, can anyone provide feedback on when it might become easier to make that switch, does it seem like things are getting easier or more difficult. Thanks
Get a separate set of winter wheels and tires. Go 18" 235/65/18.

If you're asking yourself all these questions just get it and have peace of mind with your family in the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did find Michelin winter tires available for this size wheel, it seems like it would be easier to find a tire that fits rather than deal with a set of wheels and tires. Anyone have feedback on this. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also this is a bit random but I was curious if people actually pay the market adjustments that I have seen online and at certain dealers. I noticed a few posts on here talk about that. Some have mentioned 3-5k above MSRP. Just curios that’s all.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech Package
232 Posts
I did find Michelin winter tires available for this size wheel, it seems like it would be easier to find a tire that fits rather than deal with a set of wheels and tires. Anyone have feedback on this. Thanks
I would get another set of winter tires and wheels because I don't have to bring it to the shop to remove, install and re-balance every winter and spring to switch them for the season change. You also risk air leak if you keep doing tire change on the same wheels over and over, it also be cheaper to just install the wheels if you have a shop do it.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
88 Posts
I just ordered a set of Michelin Crossclimate 2 from Costco. I will just be running these until they need to be replaced. The many reviews I've read and watched placed these tires above all other all season/weather tires and is rated highly for snow (short of actual winter tires). I don't get super severe snow winters in my area so these will be good. I also need them so that I can go ski on the nearby mountains.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
5 Posts
My personal preference is always to get winter tires mounted on a separate set of wheels. I have a XSE AWD, and I bought a set of Michelin X-ICE in 235/65R17 for the winter months. From my experience, winter tires have a larger impact on snow/ice driving than AWD vs FWD.

AWD or FWD, the car requires the tires to have traction in order to move and to stop. If you anticipate driving in snowy/icy conditions and in low temperatures, then winter tires are a worthwhile investment. The Sienna is my family car, and I do everything I can to make sure it is as safe as possible.

As for going with a separate set of wheels, like others have mentioned, it's much easier to just swap out the entire set than to unmount/remount/rebalance tires on a single set of wheels twice a year. Going with a separate set also frees you up to choose a size that is different from your stock wheels. I went with 17" (OEM size for LE trim) because the higher sidewall will help, and tires are cheaper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The biggest benefit of snow tires is for ice and stopping power. If you get a lot of ice on the road I would definitely get snow tires. I go up the the mountains every winter and would not drive without snow tires. It is night and day difference and I don't ever need to chain up. I have an AWD SUV and as soon as it gets slippery out I swap out to winter tires. Even with AWD my car will not perform well with the incorrect wheels. Its like wearing hiking boots or bowling shoes. I would buy an extra set of cheap rims so you don't need to mount/dismount which is costly. I prefer Nokian but any reputable brand is great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My personal preference is always to get winter tires mounted on a separate set of wheels. I have a XSE AWD, and I bought a set of Michelin X-ICE in 235/65R17 for the winter months. From my experience, winter tires have a larger impact on snow/ice driving than AWD vs FWD.

AWD or FWD, the car requires the tires to have traction in order to move and to stop. If you anticipate driving in snowy/icy conditions and in low temperatures, then winter tires are a worthwhile investment. The Sienna is my family car, and I do everything I can to make sure it is as safe as possible.

As for going with a separate set of wheels, like others have mentioned, it's much easier to just swap out the entire set than to unmount/remount/rebalance tires on a single set of wheels twice a year. Going with a separate set also frees you up to choose a size that is different from your stock wheels. I went with 17" (OEM size for LE trim) because the higher sidewall will help, and tires are cheaper.
Hi I have xse awd planning to do the same, one concern is whether the diameter of 235/65R17 is the same as same as the 18 inch wheels that came from the factory i read it would cause odometer problem if not the same diameter .

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
5 Posts
Hi I have xse awd planning to do the same, one concern is whether the diameter of 235/65R17 is the same as same as the 18 inch wheels that came from the factory i read it would cause odometer problem if not the same diameter .
Yup, the XSE AWD comes with 235/60/18 tires, which have the same diameter and outer circumference as 235/65R17, which are the stock size for the LE trim. You can always confirm by checking Tire Size Comparison

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
728 Posts
Notice that the 18Inch Rim's Tire's Height is 60% of the the 235mm. For 17inch ones, it is 65%. That extra 5% on both sides (11.75mm* 2 = 2.35CM) in height "almost" makes up for the 1 inch difference in diameter.

All Sienna stock tires have about the same outer diameter. The smallest 17 inch rims have taller tires, vs. 20 inch rims have flatter tires (when looking from the side).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Notice that the 18Inch Rim's Tire's Height is 60% of the the 235mm. For 17inch ones, it is 65%. That extra 5% on both sides (11.75mm* 2 = 2.35CM) in height "almost" makes up for the 1 inch difference in diameter.

All Sienna stock tires have about the same outer diameter. The smallest 17 inch rims have taller tires, vs. 20 inch rims have flatter tires (when looking from the side).
Thanks for explaining.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD Technology
94 Posts
I moved the OEM XSE AWD tires (Bridgestone 235/60/18) + TPMS sensors onto new 18" aftermarket black rims, purely for aesthetic purposes.

I kept the original OEM 18" rims, and now plan to put winter tires on them - either Michelin X-Ice or Bridgestone Blizzak. Will also buy new OEM TPMS through Toyota.

Any concerns or feedback on this set-up?
This is my first time buying winters (in the past, just went with AWD vehicles, but now want the extra protection of AWD + winters.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts