Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several forum posts here and over at T.N. and it seems there was no solution. Somebody at TN took apart their Mic and soldered to the board but not sure about the outcome. Many other people have asked in numerous threads how this can be done and the answer has always been it can't :frown:

Well, NOT ANYMORE :surprise: Apparently last night when I was finishing up my head unit install I pulled off the impossible, and it was a lot easier than one might think.

Explanation: The factory microphone is amp powered. The factory radio outputs 5vdc to the mic amp as acc when the radio is turned on. In all the previous threads I have read everybody was just tapping into the mic wires alone.

My head unit takes a mini-jack plug so I soldered two wires a little over a foot long to a jack I had laying around the house from an old project. I then shrink wrapped the Mic+ pin so it would never accidentally ground out against Mic-. Then shrink wrapped the entire harness of two wires together. I was left with a nice heavy duty looking microphone jack with two wires on the other end for Mic+ and Mic-

Next Up, Strip 3 more pieces of wire. On two of them you need to twist them together and crimp a small ring on them for a ground somewhere. The other wire will be your 5vdc so you can tap into a source however you want.

Behind the factory deck you will be pulling a 8-pin connector with only 5 wires connected to it, one of them will most likely be a shielded purple ground. This is the Mic harness you will tap into with everything.

I will post a pin-out later on, and I also plan to source the female plug so I can pin my owner harness :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have read several forum posts here and over at T.N. and it seems there was no solution. Somebody at TN took apart their Mic and soldered to the board but not sure about the outcome. Many other people have asked in numerous threads how this can be done and the answer has always been it can't :frown:

Well, NOT ANYMORE :surprise: Apparently last night when I was finishing up my head unit install I pulled off the impossible, and it was a lot easier than one might think.

Explanation: The factory microphone is amp powered. The factory radio outputs 5vdc to the mic amp as acc when the radio is turned on. In all the previous threads I have read everybody was just tapping into the mic wires alone.

My head unit takes a mini-jack plug so I soldered two wires a little over a foot long to a jack I had laying around the house from an old project. I then shrink wrapped the Mic+ pin so it would never accidentally ground out against Mic-. Then shrink wrapped the entire harness of two wires together. I was left with a nice heavy duty looking microphone jack with two wires on the other end for Mic+ and Mic-

Next Up, Strip 3 more pieces of wire. On two of them you need to twist them together and crimp a small ring on them for a ground somewhere. The other wire will be your 5vdc so you can tap into a source however you want.

Behind the factory deck you will be pulling a 8-pin connector with only 5 wires connected to it, one of them will most likely be a shielded purple ground. This is the Mic harness you will tap into with everything.

I will post a pin-out later on, and I also plan to source the female plug so I can pin my owner harness :wink:

Pictures please ! Awesome job if all this works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, but are there any advantages on keeping the factory mic vs the one in the aftermarket HU?
from my experience, the original mic tends to not sound as good as the aftermarket ones.
my aftermarket mic was installed in such a way that its not noticeable, you would have to look for it to find it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the dumb question, but are there any advantages on keeping the factory mic vs the one in the aftermarket HU?
from my experience, the original mic tends to not sound as good as the aftermarket ones.
my aftermarket mic was installed in such a way that its not noticeable, you would have to look for it to find it.
Pros: less wiring = less mess. Looks more eye appealing, instead of funny gadgets stuck on the dash with 3m tape.

Cons: You need to know how to solder a mini jack in some cases depending on your head unit, you may want to learn to read wiring diagrams to help.

Sound quality wise, I have a car with both types and so far no complaints either way so I wouldn't use that as a consideration. To me if I can keep a factory feature than why not. It doesn't make sense to throw a gadget on the dash when one exists elsewhere OEM.
-------------------
PICS are coming, I have to pull the Head Unit again to do a little clean up, I haven't had time to source the female plug yet so I just have the pins shrink wrapped and pushed in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I'm overloaded with projects last week and this week. I did order a plug from Japan to see if they mate up. I took some pics but they aren't the greatest. Will post later today if time persists.

If the plug matches I plan to turn my prototype harness into a permanent one.:wink: That will get a write-up and proper photos.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part from Japan fits, final harness is being built and taking photos as I go for a write-up. Stay posted, thanks for your patience I have been crazy busy with other stuff happening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks and look forward to the update.

In the meanwhile, I am thinking to tap the Mic+/Mic- with a 3.5mm jack that sitting around in my tool box. Also, tap the 5Vdc+/5Vdc- from a standard USB port. Do you think this will fire up the factory microphone?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to apologize for the long delays folks. I broke my arm in 5 spots and I'm going through therapy. Haven't tried to solder again yet.

I have to order some supplies from the Japan supplier again so I will be getting back on this project again soon. I give you my word that when I do this I will include photos of building the harness and parts, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want to apologize for the long delays folks. I broke my arm in 5 spots and I'm going through therapy. Haven't tried to solder again yet.

I have to order some supplies from the Japan supplier again so I will be getting back on this project again soon. I give you my word that when I do this I will include photos of building the harness and parts, etc.
Oh, no, sorry to hear about that. Take care of yourself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts