Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

My wife and I are consolidating vehicles. We have a Sienna, a Highlander and a Camry.

We don’t need three vehicles anymore so I’m def selling the Highlander (16) and considering trading the Sienna as well (15).

We figure we’ve got at least nine years left of needing a van before three of the kids are gone. That would put us in 2029.

The 15 Sienna is an AWD with 71k on it. It gets about 8-10,000 miles a year put on it. At that rate it would have 161k on it in 2029. I love Toyota’s and don’t doubt the drivetrain but will everything else last that long?

Do I buy a new one now or keep this one and possibly have to upgrade anyways in four or five more years?

Looking for feedback.

·
Registered
913 Posts
As far as longevity for the Sienna is concerned, 161K is not a problem to reach. We had an 05 that got to 200K with no problems before we traded it a 13 XLE as long as it is well maintained. But decisions are entirely up to you. I prefer the transmission on the 15 model than the later ones other than the safety sense that Toyota offers on the newer models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all -

My wife and I are consolidating vehicles. We have a Sienna, a Highlander and a Camry.

We don’t need three vehicles anymore so I’m def selling the Highlander (16) and considering trading the Sienna as well (15).

We figure we’ve got at least nine years left of needing a van before three of the kids are gone. That would put us in 2029.

The 15 Sienna is an AWD with 71k on it. It gets about 8-10,000 miles a year put on it. At that rate it would have 161k on it in 2029. I love Toyota’s and don’t doubt the drivetrain but will everything else last that long?

Do I buy a new one now or keep this one and possibly have to upgrade anyways in four or five more years?

Looking for feedback.
Do you take your Sienna on long trips? My wife and I take cross country trips in our Sienna and like the reliability of a newer van. If you do shorter trips that are closer to home, then
consider keeping your van. Our kids have been gone 13 years, but we continue to drive a Sienna. It is comfortable on long trips, gets descent gas milage, and it will haul things that will not fit in a car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would not worry about a 14 year old Toyota with 160k+ miles that was maintained regularly. Stay on top of the maintenance and you should be good. We have 147k miles on our 2007 and regularly do 1000 mile round trips with it. Will be doing a 3000+ mile trip with it this summer. I have no reservations or worries taking it.

We are soon to be empty nesters and I have no interest in getting rid of the van.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll invest just enough for "two more years". Before you know it twenty years have past and the average yearly auto expenses were trivial. Thirty years ago you could justify replacing a car every five years but not any more. The difference could amount to $300 to $500 monthly forever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll invest just enough for "two more years". Before you know it twenty years have past and the average yearly auto expenses were trivial. Thirty years ago you could justify replacing a car every five years but not any more. The difference could amount to $300 to $500 monthly forever.
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
I would add that if you decide to sell you should price higher then Kbb, Edmunds and every other site. We sold our low mileage 2008 Sienna in 2015 for $2,000 more then any site stated the value was.

·
Registered
55 Posts

So you have 9 yrs of van life left.
You have basically a 5 year old van.

If you upgrade to new now, seems like setting the precedent that you don't want a van older than 5 yrs... so are you then going to upgrade to a new van in another 5yrs as well? If not then the next van will end up being 10yrs old by the end.

This sounds ok if you are very worried about reliability, but first its a Toyota... but second, you have a 2nd car. So that doesn't seem like it would be my primary thought.
To me this is a good way to drive a new car all the time through its biggest depreciation time frame, and keep getting new vans. Aka, the way to spend the most money driving minivans.

Every time you buy, even a new car, you are buying an unknown. The van you have now is the known quantity. You know whats failed, whats been fixed, whats been maintained.

You are talking about going van to van, which has very little to no added value in going new over the 2015.

IMO, this is something you should just kick down the road a few years. You have a reliable, paid for van... and need a van another 10yrs. You will still have plenty of points over the coming years when the potentially to get into a newer van comes up.

Waiting will also give you the ability to see what new models, features, and drivetrains come out over the coming few years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as longevity for the Sienna is concerned, 161K is not a problem to reach. We had an 05 that got to 200K with no problems before we traded it a 13 XLE as long as it is well maintained. But decisions are entirely up to you. I prefer the transmission on the 15 model than the later ones other than the safety sense that Toyota offers on the newer models.
I have a 2006 Sienna with 289,000 miles, mostly long trips. No engine problems at all. I liked how solid the engine has been and will now use a 2019 Sienna for long road trips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2006 Sienna with 289,000 miles, mostly long trips. No engine problems at all. I liked how solid the engine has been and will now use a 2019 Sienna for long road trips.
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
I have a 2008 sienna xle with 120,000 miles and it is going strong. Do the required maintenance and your sienna will last a long time. We have been empty nesters for 20 years and still use the van a lot. So even if you don't have kids at home, there is always a need for the van, plus it is a comfortable ride. If the
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
WE have an 08 sienna and it is going strong with only 122,000 miles . We have been empty newsters for over 20 years and still have a need for a van. It is comfortable for long rides and we can haul lots of stuff around. I would keep it and maintain it. If it is paid off, that is an extra bonus. I just sold our 2005 Camry XLE and bought a 2019 Camry XLE with all the safety features even though the 05 was safe. Since we are seniors and travel the highways to our kid's houses, we wanted the extra safety features for the car. We still feel very safe in the sienna too.
If you must buy a new van in 4-5 years, put a car payment amount aside each month for 4-5 years and you will have saved up a large amount. If the economy turns south
( wait...it just did) then use that money for something else.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
I'd didn't doubt my drivetrain either (2007 Sienna LXE Limited AWD) until last September when the rear differential burned up on my vacation! 95,000 miles only
And then told that a frozen u-joint on the driveshaft likely caused it. U-joint not a separate, replaceable component. $4,300.
Then four broken coil springs. Which required new shocks and struts> $1400
I used to love Toyota's, but not this lemon!
By the way, I stumbled on a "junker" for $300 and jumped on it> 2009 Sienna LE/280,000k/all new rear brakes/new radiator/decent snow tires and rims! The owner feared the tranny was going and was going to junk it. The engine sounds better than mine with 99,000k... parts I'll likely be needing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
wolfe
I’m the original owner of a 2013 Sienna limited AWD. 185,000 without any issues whatsoever. Regular oil change and standard maintenance schedule. We use the Sienna as the go to vehicle for long distance trips (norther California to New Mexico and Vancouver etc) as well as shorter trips (to ski Tahoe from Central Valley ). Never had to have in the shop overnight for any breakdowns. We even hit a bear (bear did fine) in Yosemite and the sienna suffered no damage. Our 7 year old daughter loves the minivan and will only tolerate long trips in the sienna.

The Sienna is one of the most reliable vehicle out there. With the Awd option, I have no issues going through snow storms, handling 1 foot of fresh snow in Tahoe before any plowing. I’ve never had to put on chains or have spun out. plenty of power for any trip and moderate load in the rear.

I just lifted the van with Journeys off-road 3.5 lift kit and changed out to new struts shocks and springs. New larger wheels and tires. Changed out to new CV axles as well. Ran very nicely for 8000 miles since the lift. I did have a small leak at the right cv axle and it was remedied with change out to new axle seal. I have close to 195k miles. Running strong

I believe we can go to 250k or 300k miles before it dies. Mechanic says the 3.5l engine is Toyota’s work horse and very reliable and easy to fix if need be. Once I start seeing deteriorating small parts, I will trade it in for another sienna. Hope this helps with your decision. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
With routine maintenance, oil/filter changes, your present Sienna should easily last as long as you'll need it, another 10 years at the 10000 miles per year should be fine!

btw, remember to rotate the tires maybe twice a year and you'll save from buying new tires, otherwise...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let me look in your wallet and I can give you a good answer. If you want to treat yourself and can afford it, but a new van and another new one in five more years. That’s not the cheapest nor does it buy you reliability. Right now your van is at the bottom of the bathtub curve and is it’s most reliable. If it was me, I’d keep this one at least another five years and probably another nine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all!

I should clarify a few things...

I am selling the Highlander either way bc we never use it. The van is not paid off. So either way I have four more years of payments (I bought it used).

My question was really should I make four more years of payments and end up with a van that’s got 110k on it or buy new and have six years of payments and end up with a van with 60k on it.

Ours has been rock solid but it’s nearing the time where stuff likes to start breaking. Both power doors have already been redone once. And it’s going to need maintenance soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The van is not paid off. So either way I have four more years of payments (I bought it used). My question was really should I make four more years of payments and end up with a van that’s got 110k on it or buy new and have six years of payments and end up with a van with 60k on it.
Anyway you spin it you'll have twice as much invested. Go ahead. I'd wait a couple years. Who knows, maybe there's a big model change coming in a year or two. Then the model your eye balling now will be cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to buy used again but around these parts LE AWD’s are nowhere to be found. I was lucky to find the one I did at the time.
Anyway you spin it you'll have twice as much invested. Go ahead. I'd wait a couple years. Who knows, maybe there's a big model change coming in a year or two. Then the model your eye balling now will be cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone - thanks for the words of encouragement - we have decided to keep the ‘15 and sell the Highlander.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey all -

Looking for feedback.
It depends on how you drive, weather and road conditions. Van as like new at 160,000 Calif miles 10 years old. 5 years and 6000 miles in NJ and NY made the exterior age 20 Calif car years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts