Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my limited testing so far turning on the van to have just the radio on only works for around 15 minutes before the van turns off the electronics to save the 12v battery.

Is there a way to get a drive-in-movie mode where the van will power the radio for longer, maybe keep the HV battery online to keep the 12v charged?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,560 Posts
Most cars that went to a keyless 'push to start' design have the "Drive-in" movie limitation of 15 to 20 minute max, and recycling the ignition to get the radio running again costs you at least two lines of critical dialog. Yes, for those of us that attend a few movies each summer, it's a real PITA. I don't know of a solution. We finally went to a boom box and quit using the van's radio.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
895 Posts
Most cars that went to a keyless 'push to start' design have the "Drive-in" movie limitation of 15 to 20 minute max, and recycling the ignition to get the radio running again costs you at least two lines of critical dialog. Yes, for those of us that attend a few movies each summer, it's a real PITA. I don't know of a solution. We finally went to a boom box and quit using the van's radio.
Why can't you leave it ON in Park so the engine will cycle to keep the HV & 12V batteries charged?

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
It's kind of against etiquette to run your engine in the tight confines of a Drive-in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In our case we were doing a drive in with the trunk open sitting in the back. Having the ICE kick on is annoying as you get a face full of exhaust. We ended up just leaving the van "on" in Ready mode, turned off as much of the interior accessories as possible and just had the radio on. In a 2hr movie the ICE kicked on 3 times for 2-3 minutes each time.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
123 Posts
How does that drive-in theater broadcast it's signal? narrow-FM? Wifi? Bluetooth?

We have a local-ish drive-in that uses WiFi/Bluetooth type broadcast streaming.

You can either use your phone/tablet to connect to the theater's audio stream app and can bring in your own portable Bluetooth wireless speaker if you don't/ can't connect via your car's audio.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a regular youth group event and they use a low power FM transmitter. I could bring a portable radio but I have this nice sound system in the van, shame to not use it.

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
We have two theaters remaining in our part of the county. Years ago we had an amazing four!

FM, 87.9 MHz.

What seems like a lifetime ago.... Our first Sienna (Mrs & me) and first Outback (daughters).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Commenting to bump this up.
We visited the drive-in on Friday(ours broadcasts over FM) and can confirm that the Sienna is not good for this. That is to say, if you go, you'd better bring a portable radio (or some external device depending on how yours' broadcast sound).
As Eric noted, in ACC mode, it shuts down every so often which is extremely frustrating if it happens during dialog because you have to wait for it to reboot. Also, it drains your 12v. We turned off all the accessories and only had the sound system on and it drained our battery 2/3-3/4 into the movie.
When the battery was sufficiently drained, I got a warning that the parking brake was unavailable along with some other messages I didn't catch. Van wouldn't start for several minutes, and when it did, I received this vaguely ominous message:
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper
along with a persistent MIL.
I have an OBDII reader that gave me a C137C error code as well which when I looked it up said something about the Skid Control ECU...
Brought to the dealership and they cleared the codes and confirmed that the warnings were due to the battery voltage drop. When asked about this they said something about modern cars with all of their electronics draw more on the battery, so basically, this activity is no longer supported.

Hope this is helpful.

TL;DR: If you go to a drive-in movie theater, you cannot use the van's sound system. Bring a portable radio or you will drain your 12v and get weird error messages.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 12V battery in this van is also VERY small relative to the electronics load. It is enough to kick on the HV battery system but not really run much else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 12V battery in this van is also VERY small relative to the electronics load. It is enough to kick on the HV battery system but not really run much else.
I just got my 2022 Sienna and I'm learning lots. Could one switch to EV mode to keep the ICE off but keep the accessories going for a while without drying the 12v battery? I apologize in advance if this is explained in some other thread a long time ago.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
481 Posts
I just got my 2022 Sienna and I'm learning lots. Could one switch to EV mode to keep the ICE off but keep the accessories going for a while without drying the 12v battery? I apologize in advance if this is explained in some other thread a long time ago.
Nope won't last any longer that way than if not in EV mode.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
123 Posts
what a pitiful thing

Sounds like a power bank and portable speaker sys w/FM is in order

(╭☞ ಠ ͜つ ಠ )╭☞ r=1+sinθ

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"EV Mode" is sort of a gimmick, it just makes the van try to avoid using the ICE but doesn't outright block it. If the van is in READY mode and the HV battery gets below a certain level it will turn on the ICE to recharge and there isn't any way to prevent that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts