Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Sienna: Have been using spare key (no chip) - was working fine, then several days ago, was hard to remove. Happened a few times - If i started the car, then turned it back it would let me remove it. Now it is completely stuck in the ignition. Turning steering wheel doesn't help. Have read that it may be a solenoid (shift lock solenoid/ECU mechanism), or something to do with a "Park mode" sensor. Have just spent a bundle on the car so would appreciate a fix not requiring $$ if there is one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just managed to extract the key by turning the steering wheel to the Left as I pulled on the key. I had tried that before today but it didn't work. Let's hope this is all I need to do!

·
Registered
59 Posts
These ignitions use split wafers (tumblers) and are known to have one or two of the wafers to bend and stick inside the ignition lock cylinder. This happens from normal wear sometimes but sometimes it can be caused by a worn key that is no longer cut to factory specifications or a miscut key.

If you have the same issue with all of you keys, then it's typically a bent wafer or two in the ignition lock cylinder. This can be an easy fix, simply remove the bent wafers or if it's to bad you might have to replace the ignition lock cylinder. Locksmiths are generally much cheaper than a dealer for something like this.

Something else you might want to try is having a locksmith cut you a new key by code to make sure that you have a properly cut key. If the depths of the cuts are off by 0.010" or more, this will cause problems in the ignition but not the doors because the door lock cylinders do not have as close of a tolerance as the ignition.

If it's only one key that's giving you problems, toss the key and use the other key that is not causing the problem.

If you continue to use the key that is causing problems or you continue to have issues with all of your keys in the ignition, the ignition lock cylinder will eventually lock up and will not be able to turn possibly stranding you somewhere.

I would suggest trying to find the problem sooner than later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We want to know the recommended method to copy keys. The first one we tried will not turn the ignition lock reliably. Should we ask a dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a little Wd 40 or silicone spray lubricant on the key and insert the key several times . This keeps the inside of the tumbler slick when turning the key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts