Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t open my 2014 sienna with the key. It turns in the tumbler but doesn’t unlock the door. Same problem with both keys. Both keys start the van without problems.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
892 Posts
I can’t open my 2014 sienna with the key. It turns in the tumbler but doesn’t unlock the door. Same problem with both keys. Both keys start the van without problems.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions?

thanks
I don't remember ever trying to unlock the door with a key :) Always used the fob.
Assuming this is the driver's door, have you tried unlocking the passenger door?

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
60 Posts
Does it still lock/unlock via the fob or both are inoperable? Will it unlock manually from the inside? other door locks work as it should?

Could be that the door lock rod/cable is dislodge/broken.

If it is not working electronically and manually than most likely the actuator is not getting power or needs repair/replacement and the cable/rod system needs inspection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it still lock/unlock via the fob or both are inoperable? Will it unlock manually from the inside? other door locks work as it should?

Could be that the door lock rod/cable is dislodge/broken.

If it is not working electronically and manually than most likely the actuator is not getting power or needs repair/replacement and the cable/rod system needs inspection.
All other locking / unlocking functions work normally. The FoB still locks and unlocks the door. The buttons on the door lock and unlock the door. It's just when I stick the key into the door that I can't get it to lock or unlock. The key turns, but nothing happens.

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
892 Posts
Sadly the only keyed door is the drivers.
I had a feeling but I wasn't sure.
There's a good chance that the mechanism in the tumbler is stuck. You could try using a graphite-based lubricant to see if it makes a difference. Many websites suggest WD-40 but that's not the best for key tumblers.

Did you buy your van new or used? Maybe there were repairs to the door and they didn't reconnect the mechanism? Can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a feeling but I wasn't sure.
There's a good chance that the mechanism in the tumbler is stuck. You could try using a graphite-based lubricant to see if it makes a difference. Many websites suggest WD-40 but that's not the best for key tumblers.

Did you buy your van new or used? Maybe there were repairs to the door and they didn't reconnect the mechanism? Can't think of anything else.
We bought it used, but the key was working a few months back. Then we took the van off the road for a few months. When it was time to get it going again the battery was dead and the key wouldn't open the door (both keys turn in the lock, but nothing happens). I had to figure out how to pop the hood with a wire hanger through the grill so that I could charge the battery and open the door with the FOB. This might all be coincidental.

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
892 Posts
We bought it used, but the key was working a few months back. Then we took the van off the road for a few months. When it was time to get it going again the battery was dead and the key wouldn't open the door (both keys turn in the lock, but nothing happens). I had to figure out how to pop the hood with a wire hanger through the grill so that I could charge the battery and open the door with the FOB. This might all be coincidental.
I tried this on our van and the key locks/unlocks all the doors so it definitely has some actuator.
The tumbler has almost no resistance as though there's no mechanism.
I wonder what it does when there's no battery.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like the rod that goes from key hole lock to actuator is off. I have seen where car thieves attempt to break-in with a "slim-jim" type device and knock the rod off and/or break the plastic clips that hold them in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the rod that goes from key hole lock to actuator is off. I have seen where car thieves attempt to break-in with a "slim-jim" type device and knock the rod off and/or break the plastic clips that hold them in place.
Thanks sunshinewr! I finally got back to sorting this out and it proved super simple after you pointed me in the right direction.

The rod from the keyhole lock to the actuator was off. Not sure if it was some thieves or not, I couldn't see any damage. The important thing is that it is back together and seems to be working

1 - 10 of 10 Posts