Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and i bought a new Sienna in 2012. 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty added onto the 10/100 powertrain.

From 3/12 to 9/14, this is the repairs.
A/C compressors-twice
Battery-twice
Starter ground wire retightned-loose from factory
A/C refridgerant-2 additional times it was topped off.
ECU
Backup sensors-all 3.
TPMS module-twice. Once it did fail, another because the frequency of the TPMS senors in the wheels.
Turns out, a USB charger will trip the error on the dash saying the module is unable to get feedback from the sensors. The TPMS Module error light (not low pressure, but the one saying the module itself was bad) came on randomly from day 1. They had it for almost 2 months for that. We ended up finding that out.
Backup camera randomly failed, caught on video 3 of 4 times, dealer could not duplicate, but still randomly went out.
Transmission computer reflashed about 6 times. Would drop down 2-3 gears wildly when cruising or accelerating. They had it for 2 weeks and claimed it was not duplicated, but we got it on video. One time, it lost all drive in reverse when backing up, as if it was in neutral. Fluid level was fine.
Sliding doors opened up immediately upon closing. Caught on video, dealer could not duplicate.
Parking brake did not hold the car, never fixed. Would roll down the driveway if in neutral.

The 10/100 warranty is nice, but lack of a loaner and chasing corporate to get a rental for a problem car was really a bother. After they failed to fix the thing, even at another dealer, we decided we did not feel safe in it anymore, and scored a 2012 XLE Limited with 44,00 miles, warranty to 94,000. It was on a Toyota lot in Ohio as a certified used Toyota, so new tires, brakes, cabin and engine filters, all fluids. Went to a dealer-only lot auction and the dealer in FL bought it. Minimal surface rust on bolts, coated undercarriage, and EVERYTHING WORKS! In the first month, I topped off tire pressure and washer fluid. That's it.

Only drawback we find, is that there are no backup sensors on the bumper if we get close, and screen takes getting used to, not being in the mirror. I am sure it is standard now. MAy look to add it.

The ride is smoother, transmission shifts effortlessly, seats do fold down and can be taken out in a breeze.

So as far as a comparison, anyone looking at the 2015 Kia, don't fall for the 10/100 warranty. It is not any good when you are at the dealer 3 months total (Ours did come back for a few days or a week, then back again) of the year for defects. Sadly, the lemon law period in our state ended at 2 years, before the 3 months at the dealer. There are other options out there now, which we did not have at the time. The Sienna. even used, is a great buy so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought my 2001 GMC Sonoma was a piece of crap. I guess I know where the engineers went when they got laid off!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The new Sedona looks very nice but is less van like and more like a crossover - a bit like the old Chev Uplander tried to be. The Sedona appears to be a vastly better vehicle, even though I loved that big old GM pushrod engine.

In Canada, Kia's price is not cheap but still slightly less than the very base Sienna. But we still get a stripped Dodge Caravan for 2/3 the price of the Sienna so not sure if the Kia's value proposition is that strong. The Kia is a very nice looking vehicle with good apparent assembly quality. A base Sienna is about $38K out the door or the more popular LE is $40K. That is a lot of money for a middle class family so the $25K Dodge makes a lot of sense. The Kia's price is close to the base Sienna but comes better equipped. High line models of the Kia cost like Sienna SE money.

We are starting to see high mileage Kias here, especially their SUVs with that big 4 cylinder - not sure what can be expected from the new van. The Sedonas that were clones of the Hyundai Entourages seem to be holding up well here.

Interestingly, Kia came to Canada in around 1989 or 1990 and road tested a van called Besta. Their cars were sold under the Ford brand and I don't think we got real Kias until the late 1990s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts