Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience knocking sound on the rear driver side area? It was not the jacking compartment, seatbelts, and the 8th compartment seat ( but indeed its on that area). Somewhere on the 3rd row driver side area.
Its about every 5 minute. Its not scary sound.but annoying. I tried on the bumpy road, speed bumper, pot hole but none. Only on the specific movements such as turning right; but its not always. Anyone please? Its not rattle sound. Its not the 2nd row seats.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ve not. I will. If u had before, which ones I should see. I have had this car for about 4 months but I drive so little

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Have you tried having someone ride in the back and attempt to locate the source of the noise? An inexpensive mechanics's stethoscope can be useful for locating noises - see attached photo.

Mechanic's stethoscope.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son and wife did yesterday. They suspect something on the left side area on the 3rd row seat.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try lowering the rear seat into the floor well and drive the van again. My experience with 3rd row seat rattles is that they go away when the seat is lowered into the rear well. If you still have the rattle with the rear seat lowered, look elsewhere inside or under the van.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Try lowering the rear seat into the floor well and drive the van again. My experience with 3rd row seat rattles is that they go away when the seat is lowered into the rear well. If you still have the rattle with the rear seat lowered, look elsewhere inside or under the van.
Sound advice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will try tomorrow, thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read here somewhere when I did search " knocking sound" about a member had very similar "issue" and ended with the e brake. How/ where is the e brake system/ bolt/ holder that needs to be seen? Thx..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems the 3rd row seat. When my son sit there, the sound almost perfectly gone. I drive an old 2000 mazda mpv as my backup car with 148K; there is no sound whatsoever and so was my previous 140K 2004 touring town n country. It is surprised me actually.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still there. I folded the 3rd row driver side, but the knock sounds still there perfectly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try folding the right half of the 3rd row as well as the driver's side, just to be sure it's not the seat.

Just had another thought... Check the top connection on the left rear shock absorber. Make sure it's tight. There is a cover you have to remove to access it from inside the van.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try folding the right half of the 3rd row as well as the driver's side, just to be sure it's not the seat.

Just had another thought... Check the top connection on the left rear shock absorber. Make sure it's tight. There is a cover you have to remove to access it from inside the van.
It is tight, but it is not dead tight. I didnt force it since Idk the torque. Do u know the torque?
The sound still there. It is not rattle sound. It is knocking sound every 1-3 mins. I will try the felt tape trick you've done.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did the tape trick And the 3rd row seat leaned more. Sound GONE. Which one do the trick Idk, but at least I know it is the haunted 3rd seat is the culprit. Not e brake not the brake struts etc...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tomorrow I will peel the tape but keep the seat leans more toward the rear door.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts