Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013, Toyota Sienna, XLE, 2WD, 6-CYL

Hello everyone,

I need to replace my strut bearing's and curious if this site recommends the KYB strut plus kit? Or should I only purchase the KYB strut, $62.79 , and the remaining Toyota OEM parts?

Another question ... should I replace my strut bumper and coils while I'm in there? Not sure how good these two parts hold up. Due to the Toyota tech didn't suggest to replace them ... can I assume they're golden and "usually" don't go bad?

I read in a few forums stating a modification is needed with the KYB plus kit by adding a rubber tube and I'm curios if this is still the case or has KYB addressed the issue.

Why I'm replacing my bearings and struts ....
I have a "noise" from my front drivers side, a Toyota tech said it was my bearing and suggested I replace the following parts as a set ( left and right ) side. OK .. No arguments ...

48510A9890 Front Right Passenger's Shock Absorber Strut 2011-2014 Toyota Sienna $109.83
4852009S70 Front Left Driver's Shock Absorber Strut 2011-2014 Toyota Sienna $109.83
9090363014 1994-2020 Toyota Bearing $32.40
4860908030 Suspension Strut Mount Support Fits 2011-2020 Toyota Sienna $91.17
4815708020 2011-2020 Toyota Sienna - Upper Insulator $23.30
48471AA011 2011-2020 Toyota Sienna - Upper Seat $24.08

I listed the current price from Toyota OEM Parts | EB TOYOTA PARTS | toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com | Boch Toyota South ... best prices I could find currently and could be a good starting point for the next person looking to purchase suspension parts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did regular kyb. Did the rear myself and reused the hardware. The fronts I had a local shop do it but I did not replace any bumper or coils. Depends on where you live and if it's rusted or worn.

Rides the same to be before and after replacing the OEM.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it were me, I'd just do the strut plus fully assembled, but I DIY and hate compressing springs. If you're having a shop do it, there would still be a labor savings, but it'd be debatable how much they'd pass on to you.

Surprised the quote didn't include new sway bar links - I'd be shocked (funny unintentional pun) if they don't need to be replaced at the same time if for no other reason that you can't remove the old ones from the old struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to go with the strut plus … but read in forums KYB’s spring / coil they use isn’t compatible and requires a modification. So I’m poking this forum to see if this is still true.

Next door to me is a Napa machine shop so I’m planning on paying the machine shop, 50 bucks for the set, to swap the coils for me …

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
the KYB strut plus kits are crap.....look for review on amazon and read the horror stories, I think KYB dabbled inot the fully assembled kits and procured it from n out source and failed mesirably.... so be very careful of the strut plus kits.....

Javvy

·
Registered
38 Posts
the KYB strut plus kits are crap.....look for review on amazon and read the horror stories, I think KYB dabbled inot the fully assembled kits and procured it from n out source and failed mesirably.... so be very careful of the strut plus kits.....
Interesting because KYB is the OEM for Sienna shock. You'll find the letters KYB imbossed into every Sienna OEM shock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Correct , from what I gather their strut is the OEM part but ….

I recall reading that the coils ( or a combination of other parts ) they use in their plus kit doesn’t line up correctly … implying the coil they use isn’t the OEM (TBD)

someone mentioned in a forum they had to cut a rubber hose and install it around the coil where is makes contact with the strut … but this solution was just masking the problem.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Just Buy OEM search online they are the same price as the KYB's.....

Javvy

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 2006 front wheel drive 191k. We tow a pop up. I replaced the original struts at about 150K with the KYB strut/coil combo and it worked out quite well. No issues with installation and improved my ride significantly. I will never compress the springs on a strut agian. :)

·
Registered
2007 Sienna Limited AWD
65 Posts
Can’t speak to Gen 3, but on Gen 2 the KYB strut/coil combo was a huge improvement over OEM. Stiffer springs meant less slop in handling, while remaining comfortable when cruising.
Same here on Gen2, it handles better I think but I lost the cushy ride in exchange for a stiffer ride.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Gen 2 folks are coming to the Gen3 forum and muddying the feedback. KYB pooped on the Gen3 Strut plus kits, so it would be completely bad advice to give to Gen3 folks......KYB is not even standing behind the warranty claims of these so-called kits and is leaving the customers completely dry and out of close to $400 on these kits....

Here are some amazon reviews.....again GEN3

Codebreaker

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective KYB Struts and KYB does not want to honor warranty
Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2021
Verified Purchase
My mechanic suggested KYB struts so I found them on Amazon. At the time, during the pandemic, it was the only place that carried them. When they were delivered, my mechanic installed and it seemed like everything was fine. Within about 2 1/2 months and less than 680 miles, I noticed some rough riding so I thought I had a different problem with tie rods (A few months prior to these new struts, I already had new brakes, new rotors, new control arms, axle, ball joint, stabilizer bushing, tires, links and engine mounts).

This time I took it to a Toyota dealer and they noticed a significant leak from the struts. I saw it for myself so I contacted KYB. They first wanted me to remove the struts and bring it to one of their authorized locations for inspection. After talking to my mechanic, he said he couldn't remove the struts and have my van sitting there for 10 days until KYB verifies they are defective and ship out new struts. I understood he needed his real estate space to work on other vehicles and I couldn't just drive my van out of his location without struts.

So I contacted KYB again and asked for their authorized inspection locations. They gave me a list but also indicated that these locations are not obligated to approve replacement since I didn't buy them at their location. That's fine but Amazon does not do or have inspections or mechanics on hand to inspect. After picking one of their locations who I actually bought tires from before, I had them inspect to confirm the struts were bad but they would not replace under warranty since I didn't buy from their location.

After all that, I had them replace my struts and I now paid twice for struts and labor.

I took the defective parts home and contacted KYB again with photos requesting a replacement part for their defective parts. I offered to ship the old part back. Since I already paid for a second set of struts, I would keep these for the next fix. KYB would not replace the defective struts and from their last email to me "KYB does not sell directly to the public, so we do not have the facilities to process any returns, exchanges, or warranties with the public".

** KYB does not honor their warranty and will not provide replacements even with their own authorized locations indicating their strut is defective **

Buyer beware. I hope I save someone the frustration and money wasted that I went through.
Read less

Enkhbayar

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star too much for KYB shoks
Reviewed in the United States on November 16, 2020
Verified Purchase
I bought this product 20 days ago for my 2012 toyota sienna Profesional mechanic installed /KYB complete shok/ for me after 6 day shok droped oil it was really interested mechanic inspect all shoks and they said it is dead i need to contact KYB store get new one 😀 when i drive freeway sounds like pog pog pog 😡 DO NOT buy this shok just you will lost your

rjh4758

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't recommend, bad strut mounts
Reviewed in the United States on May 20, 2020

Bought this strut from another supplier.

The strut itself is fine but the mounting plate is utter garbage. Immediately after installation I started getting a noise when I turned the wheel from the right strut mount. I ordered a KYB strut mount to replace it. Once I removed the mount and compared to the replacement I could see the quality of the strut mount that came with the assembly was very poorly made. About a week later the left side started making the same noise.

Everything is fine now that I replaced both strut mounts. But I would have been better off just buying the components or buying another brand of complete strut. I do not recommend.

Enough said....

Javvy

Reactions: sbihue

·
Registered
761 Posts
Gen 2 folks are coming to the Gen3 forum and muddying the feedback. KYB pooped on the Gen3 Strut plus kits, so it would be completely bad advice to give to Gen3 folks......KYB is not even standing behind the warranty claims of these so-called kits and is leaving the customers completely dry and out of close to $400 on these kits....
Javvy
I guess that's why we have Generation specific forums :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts