Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2021 XLE in November. We love it! We took it through a car wash a couple weeks ago and noticed that every time the car wash went over the sunroof it would "spritz" me with water. I felt the track and it was sopping wet. We drove immediately to the dealership where we purchased the van. Our salesman was there and he came out and felt all of the water in the track and said that wasn't normal. He said to bring it back on Monday for repairs.

That Tuesday they called and said it was fixed. When my husband got to the dealership they said that the sunroof was in wrong. The assured us it was fixed because they had poured a lot of water on it and didn't see any leaks. They also told my husband that the owners manual doesn't recommend taking it through a car wash.

This past Sunday it was raining/ snowing hard. I left church and thought I better check it. It was sopping wet!!
I called the dealership when I got home and they said to bring it in on Monday. My husband gets a call yesterday from Leak masters, saying that all that water is normal. They are designed with wet tracks to catch the water and drain out.

Is this true?? I mean, I could tap the water and make a splashing sound because there was so much.

Help, please.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
871 Posts
I haven't done car wash yet so can't add anything useful yet.

FWIW, our 2001 C300 has sunroof that also collects water. However, it has a drain that empties it under the front wheel. I learned this hard way because our drain was clogged and water was overflowing in to the cabin :(

May be try pouring little water in the collection area and see if it comes out underneath it somewhere?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just went through a car wash to test this. Sure enough, the sun roof was leaking in the back (right in the middle). They placed a secondary containment plate on the sliding cover which seems to drain somewhere. I guess that's how it was designed. Apparently its perfectly normal as it's difficult to have a perfectly water tight seal in that service.

FYI - here is a thread on another forum discussing the same issue for the new generation of Highlanders.

Sunroof Leak normal?

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
264 Posts
Here's another post about the sunroof leaks also from an XLE and look like he had it fix

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's another post about the sunroof leaks also from an XLE and look like he had it fix

Yup - that was me - @Tamandles from what you described it's def not normal. Don't let them tell you so. I could literally see it dripping from inside when it rains.

The key is to take a video when it happens so you can show the Toyota guys and they can send to corporate as well as proof. Even when I was at the garage they initially said they cannot reproduce it with a hose until I ran my gloved hand along the inner lip and showed them the water drops. I even told them I would literally take my car to a car wash right after and film a video if they tried to send me home.

Good news is that once that confirmed it, they were able to replace the entire sunroof which fixed the problem.

Keep at it - I had the problem on the day I took delivery so I believe some Siennas may have defective moonroofs straight from the factory.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
264 Posts
Sunroof leaks definitely not normal. I own 3 different cars with sunroof and one of them is a 20 years old Camry and none of them leaks. I used high pressure car wash to wash all my cars and they never leaks. Something is wrong for sure. Look like Toyota need to fix some bug with the new model.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
871 Posts
Yup - that was me - @Tamandles from what you described it's def not normal. Don't let them tell you so. I could literally see it dripping from inside when it rains.

The key is to take a video when it happens so you can show the Toyota guys and they can send to corporate as well as proof. Even when I was at the garage they initially said they cannot reproduce it with a hose until I ran my gloved hand along the inner lip and showed them the water drops. I even told them I would literally take my car to a car wash right after and film a video if they tried to send me home.

Good news is that once that confirmed it, they were able to replace the entire sunroof which fixed the problem.

Keep at it - I had the problem on the day I took delivery so I believe some Siennas may have defective moonroofs straight from the factory.
Thanks for sharing!

Your issue has started to make me think a little about mine. While trying to close the Cloth cover/slider/shade under the Sunroof, I accidently pulled on the rubber ring just a few inches behind it. It came off very easily. I just pushed it back in and assumed it was normal for it to come out. Now I am thinking may be not. I haven't seen any water leak inside but will have to take a closer look.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I took my 2014 Audi A6 for a car wash to see if I notice any leaks. At first, I did not see any leaks and then I realized they did a much better job of making the leaks less visible. After I opened the sunroof, I was able to see feel some water in the secondary containment plate. I suspect this happens on most vehicles but they do a much better job of concealing the leakage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Thank you for all your suggestions!
I did take a video while going through a car wash. The water is pouring into the track of the sunroof. I sent the video to the Service and Parts Director and he forwarded it to their Toyota Rep.
I received an email yesterday that stated “Our FTS from Toyota reviewed your video and your vehicle is operating as like vehicles of this design”
This is VERY disappointing. We live in rural WV and there are now ice hanging from the inside of the sunroof.
I would never have purchased this vehicle knowing this. What can I do now??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Update:
Thank you for all your suggestions!
I did take a video while going through a car wash. The water is pouring into the track of the sunroof. I sent the video to the Service and Parts Director and he forwarded it to their Toyota Rep.
I received an email yesterday that stated “Our FTS from Toyota reviewed your video and your vehicle is operating as like vehicles of this design”
This is VERY disappointing. We live in rural WV and there are now ice hanging from the inside of the sunroof.
I would never have purchased this vehicle knowing this. What can I do now??
Would going to another dealer or writing to Toyota corporate directly help?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
30 Posts
Is it possible for you to post this video in this forum? I am expecting my Sienna in a few weeks, and would like to know what to look for. Thanks, John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
Here is the video link: iCloud

We took the van back to the dealership last Tuesday. My husband and I, along with the Service and Parts Director took our van through a car wash. The Director wanted to see and video, for himself, the the water pouring in. We also took a Sienna off the lot- through the car wash-It only had 7 drops.
We get a call Friday that ours was ready to be picked up. They said they "adjusted" the sunroof and when they ran it through the car wash it only had a couple drops of water. We arrive on Friday to pick it up and again along with the director, we go through a car wash. This time instead of many drops pouring in at the same time, there is a smaller gush of water when the car wash passes over the sunroof. A LOT more than a "couple of drops" I express my disappointment and he tells me that they would be afraid to make anymore adjustments.

We were expecting a lot of rain this past weekend into Monday - 4 inches. The director told us to take it home and see how it did in the rain. We checked throughout the weekend, and there were drops of rain dripping onto the headliner and console. My husband called the director on Monday to let him know that we ARE NOT SATISFIED with their "adjustment". The director said he would contact their Toyota Rep and let us know what they are going to do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, that's a lot worse than mine. I had only one leaking section of the sunroof and it was only a couple drops when I went through the car wash. That is definitely not acceptable.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
264 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of water drop through that sunroof, my 20 years old camry has no drop when I use the high pressure car wash same as my Mazda. This is not good. OP Mcc has his fixed so your dealer really need to order a new sunroof. Now I wondering if this seem to be happen with the XLE trim or other trim as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Update:

We took the van back to the dealership last Tuesday. My husband and I, along with the Service and Parts Director took our van through a car wash. The Director wanted to see and video, for himself, the the water pouring in. We also took a Sienna off the lot- through the car wash-It only had 7 drops.
We get a call Friday that ours was ready to be picked up. They said they "adjusted" the sunroof and when they ran it through the car wash it only had a couple drops of water. We arrive on Friday to pick it up and again along with the director, we go through a car wash. This time instead of many drops pouring in at the same time, there is a smaller gush of water when the car wash passes over the sunroof. A LOT more than a "couple of drops" I express my disappointment and he tells me that they would be afraid to make anymore adjustments.

We were expecting a lot of rain this past weekend into Monday - 4 inches. The director told us to take it home and see how it did in the rain. We checked throughout the weekend, and there were drops of rain dripping onto the headliner and console. My husband called the director on Monday to let him know that we ARE NOT SATISFIED with their "adjustment". The director said he would contact their Toyota Rep and let us know what they are going to do.
Update:

Hi, I'm concerned about this because of prior bad experiences with a sunroof (non-Toyota). The way these are designed is that the rubber seal between the glass and the roof opening is a primary seal, there is an internal integral drip tray for seepage from the primary, that acts as a gutter, that drains via attached hoses outside the car (assuming the hoses are not plugged and firmly attached). In my case (Chevy Silverado) the drains became clogged and caused the water to overflow into the passenger compartment.

In your case have you actually seen a wet spot in the headliner or have seen water inside of your van? I see in your video that there are quite a few drips, but if they are being caught in the gutter and draining outside of the van it may still be functioning as designed? I'm quite concerned for you as I'm still in the process of acquiring my Sienna - but if this is a chronic problem I may reconsider. I have a 2019 Avalon with a very similar sunroof that appears to be doing fine - but I have not looked at the area you videoed during a rainstorm/car wash. Toyota uses a lot of these sunroofs in many models, so would be concerning if this is a systemic problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, I'm concerned about this because of prior bad experiences with a sunroof (non-Toyota). The way these are designed is that the rubber seal between the glass and the roof opening is a primary seal, there is an internal integral drip tray for seepage from the primary, that acts as a gutter, that drains via attached hoses outside the car (assuming the hoses are not plugged and firmly attached). In my case (Chevy Silverado) the drains became clogged and caused the water to overflow into the passenger compartment.

In your case have you actually seen a wet spot in the headliner or have seen water inside of your van? I see in your video that there are quite a few drips, but if they are being caught in the gutter and draining outside of the van it may still be functioning as designed? I'm quite concerned for you as I'm still in the process of acquiring my Sienna - but if this is a chronic problem I may reconsider. I have a 2019 Avalon with a very similar sunroof that appears to be doing fine - but I have not looked at the area you videoed during a rainstorm/car wash. Toyota uses a lot of these sunroofs in many models, so would be concerning if this is a systemic problem.
Yes, this weekend we watched rain drip onto the headliner. We also saw drips of rain on the middle console.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts