Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Sterling and I are still an item, no regrets from this owner. Hardly think it is a lemon by any means, but everyone has their experiences.
Just like Sterling, Mr. Sparkollz doesn't leak or have any other of the troubles that some drivers are complaining about, but the absent seal tells us that the Princeton plant had a QC problem. I am sure Toyota has a way of investigating what else may have happened at the plant around the time when defective Siennas were manufactured.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea it rained here in Manitoba and checked my sunroof, sure enough got some water going on. I scheduled a service on MOnday. Will update you with results

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
I don't buy that. Unfortunately I found my sunroof also leaks. I contacted the dealer and they will have someone contact me for a time to bring the van in to check. If only some of them leaks and most don't then it's not by design or all of them do leaks. At least they can do is replace it and check it again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't buy that. Unfortunately I found my sunroof also leaks. I contacted the dealer and they will have someone contact me for a time to bring the van in to check. If only some of them leaks and most don't then it's not by design or all of them do leaks. At least they can do is replace it and check it again.
Let me know how it turned out

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
So got back from service and as many others, it works as design and small leaks is normal. Even got a note from Toyota advise the tech about it. Replacing it is out because Toyota would not authorize it. I did send a note to Toyota Canada about this issue, not sure if they would do anything but they acknowledged it and will forward the concern to Product Planning. I searched online and apparently a lot of sunroofs do leaks a little, we just never notice it. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it won't leak into the cabin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So got back from service and as many others, it works as design and small leaks is normal. Even got a note from Toyota advise the tech about it. Replacing it is out because Toyota would not authorize it. I did send a note to Toyota Canada about this issue, not sure if they would do anything but they acknowledged it and will forward the concern to Product Planning. I searched online and apparently a lot of sunroofs do leaks a little, we just never notice it. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it won't leak into the cabin.
Yea its my first car to have a sunroof that is why I am not sure how the other cars sunroofs are setup.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
424 Posts
There are two kinds of leaks from the sunroof. One is a drip that is not a large volume and drips into the catch tray. The tray has tubes that drain the water under the car. The other drip is a faster drip that gets the inside cover wet or drips into the interior of the car. Some people seem to have this drip. This second type of drip is a problem and should be resolved. If you do not get a resolution from the dealer, call Toyota. They will probably open a case and refer it to the proper department. Toyota generally requires you to try to resolve issues through the dealer first.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just saw an update about this over on the Toyota Sienna 2021+ (4th Gen) private Facebook group. Someone didn’t give up and finally got traction on this issue with their dealer.

Long story short, the moonroof wasn’t the cause of the leak. It was a windshield not properly sealed at the top. They’re sending a senior engineer to take a closer look and will likely need to replace/reseal the windshield.

Speculation on the group is that the robot installing the windshields for a small set of vans wasn’t aligned 100% correctly/properly and it’s that lot of vehicles that have been experiencing these leaks (as it doesn’t seem to happening on later builds).

I’m really encouraged that Toyota is taking meaningful actions to dig into this now and not just ignoring it.

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE FWD & 2021 Sienna LE FWD
144 Posts
The moonroof in my LE doesn't leak (ha ha ha, just kidding no moonroof on LEs) but considering what our colleague @Vanfam12345 has shared, I better check my windshield area for leaks...

One reason I opted for the base LE was to avoid the moonroof. I think everything from LE w/ plus package on up has a moonroof, so Toyota apparently loves them some moonroofs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Something like 65-70,000 vans have been manufactured (EDIT: 67,000 sold as of last week according to another thread) since launch this time last year. It’s probably safe to say that the VAST majority don’t leak, but for those handful that actually do it’s important to know why and have a fix available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my van back and I am cautiously optimistic that the problem has been accurately identified and fixed. Long story short the issue was associated with some missing seals at the front of the sunroof. The key to diagnosing the problem was to have the vehicle parked facing down hill. This was acknowledged by the service manager also. See dealer diagnosis/narrative below. The last sentence is on a second page and it says the sunroof assembly was replaced and tested. Fingers crossed!
Since the last post (see Toyota service write-up) my van has been absolutely leak free! The van has been subjected to the same circumstances and conditions that caused the leak(s) and all is and has been dry.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
99 Posts
I just had this issue as well. Started to see big drops of water dripping from the backend of the sunroof. Scheduled a service appointment with my dealership. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad to have come across your post so we know to push harder. We purchased a 2021 XLE in July and a few weeks after purchase my husband ran it through the car wash (fortunately he had the moonroof cover open) and water actually dripped on his arm!

We contacted the dealership and took it back for repair. They claimed they fixed it but as I was driving away (after they had sprayed it with their power washer to check that the leak was indeed gone) it started dripping again. They attempted to do another adjustment but it still hasn’t solved the issue. We were told that they were opening up a case with Toyota and they would contact us back about repair. It has now been over a month with no further communication and I am getting annoyed!

It is not reasonable to expect customers to carry towels with them at all times in case it rains. Ours is leaking in multiple locations and collects enough that the water splashes out of the drip tray and comes into the actual vehicle. Based on your suggestion I am taking videos of the leaking and will share with Toyota. It is absurd for them to think this is normal when buying a new vehicle that costs over $40k!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So Toyota dealers can't seem to solve 2021 Toyota Highlander whistling noise and 2021 Sienna leaky sunroofs. Is it because they're made in USA now?

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
So Toyota dealers can't seem to solve 2021 Toyota Highlander whistling noise and 2021 Sienna leaky sunroofs. Is it because they're made in USA now?
To my eye it looks like some dealers have become a little too lazy and/or incompetent to perform root cause analysis, especially if the situation is unfamiliar and requires a structured mental effort (you know, "My brain hoits when II have to think")

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don’t know what the cause is, but I suspect it has more to do with them being first and second year models. Need to get it sorted.

But every US sold Sienna is built in the USA, and has been since 1998. First at Georgetown, KY before being moved to TMMI in Indiana. Same with the Highlander — US models have been built at TMMI since 2008.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Location of the build seems irrelevant to me. This is obviously an issue with the seals. Either a design defect or an installation defect (or both).

81 - 100 of 136 Posts