Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since the last post (see Toyota service write-up) my van has been absolutely leak free! The van has been subjected to the same circumstances and conditions that caused the leak(s) and all is and has been dry.
Can you tell me what dealer you took it to? I am in the same situation.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited (CA)
2 Posts
I was having the same issue with the water coming in the cabin via the small convex rearview mirror compartment despite the sunroof rarely being opened. It usually happened after a long downpour while my Sienna was parked downward on my driveway. The driveway decline is very slight, but I guess it was enough for the water to accumulate on the sunroof track. Turns out the drainage tube was not clamped on properly from the factory and became loose. Here's an image of the service printout.

Font Material property Parallel Magenta Pattern

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
99 Posts
I am still very uncomfortable with the fact that water drips from the rear of the sunroof (even though it is dripping into the drip tray directly underneath the sunroof). Water should not be leaking into the car as part of the design!! WTF

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD Technology
97 Posts
Picked up my XSE Technology in April 2021.

My Sienna also leaks at the convex mirror. Been to the dealer once already - they ran it through the carwash but could not replicate - so nothing done. I provided pictures and video, but per their policy, since they can't replicate, they can't repair.

I then contacted Toyota Canada and opened up a defect/issue. Spent 30 minutes on the call and provided all the details. For anyone else experiencing a leak, contact Toyota Corporate (Canada or USA) and open up a defect. Also mention that other people are facing the same issues, and it is widely discussed on the internet.

Taking it to the dealer again on Wednesday since it's been raining a lot the past 2-3 days, and water continues to leak inside. This time will leave the car there for a day, and hopefully they can properly diagnose, replicate, and fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was having the same issue with the water coming in the cabin via the small convex rearview mirror compartment despite the sunroof rarely being opened. It usually happened after a long downpour while my Sienna was parked downward on my driveway. The driveway decline is very slight, but I guess it was enough for the water to accumulate on the sunroof track. Turns out the drainage tube was not clamped on properly from the factory and became loose. Here's an image of the service printout.

View attachment 52458

The dealer ended up replacing my entire sunroof assembly. It should not leak so much that water can pool and escape. The drains and gutter system are more of an emergency backup system.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
I am still very uncomfortable with the fact that water drips from the rear of the sunroof (even though it is dripping into the drip tray directly underneath the sunroof). Water should not be leaking into the car as part of the design!! WTF
I'm not comfortable about the sunroof leaks into the drip tray either. Since it's not leaking into the carbin, they will not fix it. Going to park down slope and see if it does leaks inside.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited (CA)
2 Posts
The dealer ended up replacing my entire sunroof assembly. It should not leak so much that water can pool and escape. The drains and gutter system are more of an emergency backup system.
I totally agree with it being the last line of defence. If it happens again, then I'm sure it'll require a replacement of the assembly (hopefully).

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
This is what the dealer gave me when I brought the van in for them to check the sunroof leaks and because it does not leaks into the cabin they won't fix it. It's a bit old but look like Toyota knows about this issue for awhile and it's expected.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Paper

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. Mine is definitely leaking inside the cabin (through the convex mirror) and I have a video documenting it. I have an appointment tomorrow and hopefully dealer will take it seriously through action.

This is what the dealer gave me when I brought the van in for them to check the sunroof leaks and because it does not leaks into the cabin they won't fix it. It's a bit old but look like Toyota knows about this issue for awhile and it's expected.

View attachment 52512

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. Mine is definitely leaking inside the cabin (through the convex mirror) and I have a video documenting it. I have an appointment tomorrow and hopefully dealer will take it seriously through action.
Did the dealer asked you to bring it back because they got the note from Toyota to do this or because you keep pushing the dealer and now they willing to have another look?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did the dealer asked you to bring it back because they got the note from Toyota to do this or because you keep pushing the dealer and now they willing to have another look?
It's about time for my 1st service, so I am asking the dealer to take another look (also since my 1st dealer visit regarding this, I opened an issue with Toyota Canada.)

Besides the leak issue, there are a few other minor issues I want them to look at (the floor carpet on the driver side keeps pulling out of the bridge console trim, and my tires appear excessively brown in colour.)

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
Keep us posted. Everything is working fine so far except the sunroof leaks and I did my break-in oil change last month.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Keep us posted. Everything is working fine so far except the sunroof leaks and I did my break-in oil change last month.
Out of curiosity: the break-in oil change is something that Toyota Canada recommends? In the US it's 10K recurring for oil/filter and 5K tire rotation.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
Out of curiosity: the break-in oil change is something that Toyota Canada recommends? In the US it's 10K recurring for oil/filter and 5K tire rotation.
Not really. I just did it to remove any contaminated for the first 2K or so with the new engine. I will do an oil change every 8K or 6 months from now on. Oil change is cheap enough and good way to keep the engine clean.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
99 Posts

View attachment 52512
So that applies for all Toyota models since 2014?

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
I did ask about the newer model and they said they got this from Toyota. They also said the send a note to Toyota about it, can't confirm whether they did it or not. I also send a note to Toyota and they sent me a reply back that they got it, don't know if they would do anything about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We purchased a 2021 XLE in November. We love it! We took it through a car wash a couple weeks ago and noticed that every time the car wash went over the sunroof it would "spritz" me with water. I felt the track and it was sopping wet. We drove immediately to the dealership where we purchased the van. Our salesman was there and he came out and felt all of the water in the track and said that wasn't normal. He said to bring it back on Monday for repairs.

That Tuesday they called and said it was fixed. When my husband got to the dealership they said that the sunroof was in wrong. The assured us it was fixed because they had poured a lot of water on it and didn't see any leaks. They also told my husband that the owners manual doesn't recommend taking it through a car wash.

This past Sunday it was raining/ snowing hard. I left church and thought I better check it. It was sopping wet!!
I called the dealership when I got home and they said to bring it in on Monday. My husband gets a call yesterday from Leak masters, saying that all that water is normal. They are designed with wet tracks to catch the water and drain out.

Is this true?? I mean, I could tap the water and make a splashing sound because there was so much.

Help, please.
I would say no, but if it is let them know that you purchase a vehicle not a coffee percolator...

I'm battling with my case now. I guess I that I know too much. Their really giving me the run around... I'll certainly post with the outcome... It is 2021AD, right? 2021 Sienna Platinum and this is normal? It won't be normal for me, even if they have to give me another van w/out a sunroof (unlikely, I don't won't one w/out a sunroof) and at least $10k-$20k+ back... Over $55k and the roof leaks, doesn't have a concealed rear wiper, it has hubcaps/wheel covers, etc, etc contradicting alot of thing's that the build at Toyota.com says are normal. I'm not happy at all....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Picked up my XSE Technology in April 2021.

My Sienna also leaks at the convex mirror. Been to the dealer once already - they ran it through the carwash but could not replicate - so nothing done. I provided pictures and video, but per their policy, since they can't replicate, they can't repair.

I then contacted Toyota Canada and opened up a defect/issue. Spent 30 minutes on the call and provided all the details. For anyone else experiencing a leak, contact Toyota Corporate (Canada or USA) and open up a defect. Also mention that other people are facing the same issues, and it is widely discussed on the internet.

Taking it to the dealer again on Wednesday since it's been raining a lot the past 2-3 days, and water continues to leak inside. This time will leave the car there for a day, and hopefully they can properly diagnose, replicate, and fix.

UPDATE:
Dropped off my Sienna at the dealer on Wednesday - they kept it overnight for a deeper investigation.

Good news - they found a leak after extended troubleshooting. The issue was fixed. If the leak persists after this fix, dealer will replace the entire sunroof under warranty. My Sienna was at the dealer for 30 hours total.

Here are the notes, as per service sheet:

CONDITION: Check and report on water leakage from sunroof, rearview mirror and roof console. Customer will be leaving vehicle until issue is confirmed.

CAUSE: Moon Roof seal was out of adjustment and found moon roof to be misaligned.

CORRECTION: Readjusted moof room as well as seal. Rechecked and could not replicate leak again. Customer is asked to monitor and if issue persists, vehicle may require entire new moon roof assembly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add me to the list. Due to the recent heavy rains in the Bay Area, today I saw a good amount of water on the center console and in the open storage area directly below it. There was a drip coming from the conversation mirror too. I've made an appointment with the dealer and will see what they have to say.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts