Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, figure out what bulbs you need. The headlights are pretty clear. I went with Phillips for everything on the rear end. Mostly for I wanted a name brand under the lift gate panel. It is not hard, but more work than I want to do to replace a Chinese POS. They were still choices to be made with the 194. 168 differences. Online they almost make them identical. They are not, the 168 technically should be brighter, but 194 LEDs are brighter by nature, so you may have to change your plans, if they don't look right.

In my case, the Phillips amber running lights looked anemic compared to my signals and headlights, so I bought some that are brighter.

For the signals, you are best served by replacing the relay to the Diode Dynamics Smart Tap. You get entry and exit illumination from the signal bulbs, custom 4-way flasher, lane change tap mode in addition to eliminating hyper flash. If, you are on a tight budget, they have a relay that will just kill the hyper flash. American made!

Disable your DRL with the following info found here, 2008 LE DRL / Side Marker Replacemnt

I have replaced every bulb in my 2008 Sienna with LEDs. I love it, except for one thing. I do not have any option for low lighting in the cabin. Flip the switch and I can see literally everything in the cabin. I am trying to figure out a solution for that.

I would guess the headlight replacement should save a tiny amount of gas. Those are easily over 120 watts a pair incandescent. Less load on the alternator is less fuel used.

BTW, I use my normal headlights all the time as DRL. They are full brightness, but still use far less power than even high beams at half power. Plus, they are rated for 50,000 hours.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have replaced every bulb in my 2008 Sienna with LEDs. I love it, except for one thing. I do not have any option for low lighting in the cabin. Flip the switch and I can see literally everything in the cabin. I am trying to figure out a solution for that.
Just made that same mod and have the same problem. I get ready in the dark every weekday morning, aside from the couple of weeks at the beginning of Summer when it's light out insanely early. My night vision is exceptional. When I get into the van, my first step is to plug my phones into the charger for the ride to work. The first day after the switch to LED, I blinded myself. Now, all I do is leave the door open while connecting the plugs. The light down at the bottom of the front door is plenty of light for me. If I were to use this van for a camper, I'd probably consider adding "mood lighting" low power LED strip lights around the cabin. Alternate to that, just turn on one of the map/reading lights instead of the whole van. Alternate to the alternate, one of those tap lights, centrally mounted to the ceiling (would velcro or double-sided tape stick to the ceiling?) would be an option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree we need to be looking for a nice looking, easy to use low light option. I love the brightness for most of the reasons you want light, reading a real map or some other reference, dropping something on the floor, somebody having an issue (Uber/Lyft passengers being assholes).

"I'd probably consider adding "mood lighting" low power LED strip lights around the cabin." Now, that is a very interesting idea! If a sweet looking control could be integrated into the dash and you can safely navigate all the air bags with the wiring, that could be a truly awesome looking unit.

You did a great job explaining exactly what we need. Something for plugging in USB connections and other jobs like moving a drink to a different holder.

"Now, all I do is leave the door open while connecting the plugs." That is effective, but not necessarily convenient in snow, wind or rain. Certainly wouldn't be a security minded, option.

"Just turn on one of the map/reading lights instead of the whole van." I tried that, but there is still a hell of a lot of light. I guess, if one could have a dim LED bulb for one of those lamps, that would be cool. I would love to hear of a recommendation for such a bulb. Most of the bulbs I see are designed to be Photon Cannons!

"One of those tap lights, centrally mounted to the ceiling" Now, if a dim one could be found or, I guess you put some dark mask over it to keep it very low, that could work well. I just don't like needing battery power for a car with literally unlimited low voltage power available. Make it hard wired? If you remove the battery , in theory you could remake it to your specs, most preferably, lower profile.

Now, I'm thinking. Take off the overhead console, find a place for a nice rocker switch, one that can be felt easily in the dark. Then, find 3 low output white leds and put them in series with a resistor, if needed.There must be power there, so cut in and then stragetically mount the LEDs within that overhead piece pointing to the driver, lower console and the passenger side. Now this would be great, but will need engineering and skill making it look OEM. However, it would give just the right amount of light, be permanently installed and look like it was part of the van from the start.

I'll make a new thread for this. This is very good topic for discussion. You got my gears grinding, LOL! Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just made that same mod and have the same problem. I get ready in the dark every weekday morning, aside from the couple of weeks at the beginning of Summer when it's light out insanely early. My night vision is exceptional. When I get into the van, my first step is to plug my phones into the charger for the ride to work. The first day after the switch to LED, I blinded myself. Now, all I do is leave the door open while connecting the plugs. The light down at the bottom of the front door is plenty of light for me. If I were to use this van for a camper, I'd probably consider adding "mood lighting" low power LED strip lights around the cabin. Alternate to that, just turn on one of the map/reading lights instead of the whole van. Alternate to the alternate, one of those tap lights, centrally mounted to the ceiling (would velcro or double-sided tape stick to the ceiling?) would be an option.
Maybe replace the passenger side push light with a RED led ... Red doesn't kill your night vision, even if it's bright.
(The rods (from rods and cones) in your eye are responsible for your night vision and they don't really respond to red light)
That's why an airplane's cockpit lighting and the night lighting on submarines etc. is red, it preserves night vision while still letting you do interior tasks.

Push just that one to turn it on, leaving all the others set off.

Also ... my 08 has one of those flip down "conversation mirror" things to be able to to glance at the kids in the back while driving or a front seat passenger.
when that's flipped down, it blocks the passenger side LED ... the vans front interior is still lighted, but it's not nearly as "in your face" as the light itself.
That might be enough to make the passenger side LED tolerable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe replace the passenger side push light with a RED led ... Red doesn't kill your night vision, even if it's bright.
(The rods (from rods and cones) in your eye are responsible for your night vision and they don't really respond to red light)
That's why an airplane's cockpit lighting and the night lighting on submarines etc. is red, it preserves night vision while still letting you do interior tasks.

Push just that one to turn it on, leaving all the others set off.

Also ... my 08 has one of those flip down "conversation mirror" things to be able to to glance at the kids in the back while driving or a front seat passenger.
when that's flipped down, it blocks the passenger side LED ... the vans front interior is still lighted, but it's not nearly as "in your face" as the light itself.
That might be enough to make the passenger side LED tolerable.
One further thought: If you used "cool white" or "daylight white" LEDs, try using "warm white" ones instead.
The warmer color temperature doesn't kill your night vision as much at the same brightness. (because it's toward the redder end end of the spectrum)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello all, I've been considering switching to led for a long time, particularly the interior because it's so dim. I see the Philips ultinon showing up on many of the sites and I'd like a real brand too.

Did switching to led cause any other problems? Read about them causing weird issues occasionally like cruise control not working, for instance.

Is switching to ultinons much brighter for all the exterior lights like brake, turn signals, and the like? My lights are all stock except I've replaced my hid bulbs and high beam bulbs.

Thanks for any help/insight!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hello all, I've been considering switching to led for a long time, particularly the interior because it's so dim. I see the Philips ultinon showing up on many of the sites and I'd like a real brand too.

Did switching to led cause any other problems? Read about them causing weird issues occasionally like cruise control not working, for instance.

Is switching to ultinons much brighter for all the exterior lights like brake, turn signals, and the like? My lights are all stock except I've replaced my hid bulbs and high beam bulbs.

Thanks for any help/insight!
I switched my reverse lights, just because I wanted them brighter. On the interior, I did the overhead map/reading lights, courtesy lights on the bottoms of the front doors, the switched light in the trunk well and the lights on the bottom of the pillars at the backs of the sliding doors. The only "issue" I have is that, if I have the door open when I start the van, the lights flicker as the engine cranks. Other than that, in the dead of Winter, I typically get dressed and ready for work in total darkness, walk out of the house in total darkness and get into the van with the interior switched lights off. When I put my phone in the holder, I turn on the light to plug it in. The brightness is pretty blindingly bright and I will typically have to wait 30 extra seconds after turning it off before my eyes readjust to the darkness.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I switched my reverse lights, just because I wanted them brighter. On the interior, I did the overhead map/reading lights, courtesy lights on the bottoms of the front doors, the switched light in the trunk well and the lights on the bottom of the pillars at the backs of the sliding doors. The only "issue" I have is that, if I have the door open when I start the van, the lights flicker as the engine cranks. Other than that, in the dead of Winter, I typically get dressed and ready for work in total darkness, walk out of the house in total darkness and get into the van with the interior switched lights off. When I put my phone in the holder, I turn on the light to plug it in. The brightness is pretty blindingly bright and I will typically have to wait 30 extra seconds after turning it off before my eyes readjust to the darkness.
Which led bulbs did you use, if you happen to remember? Thanks

Thank you for the info. The reverse lights are awful. I often go into a rural area that's pitch black and those reverse lights just ruin my eyes night vision. The flickering doesn't seem like a huge issue to get more light. Think I will replace most/all bulbs on the van

·
Registered
682 Posts
Which led bulbs did you use, if you happen to remember? Thanks

Thank you for the info. The reverse lights are awful. I often go into a rural area that's pitch black and those reverse lights just ruin my eyes night vision. The flickering doesn't seem like a huge issue to get more light. Think I will replace most/all bulbs on the van
The interior bulbs were 2 different varieties:

This is what I used for reverse lights:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts