Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any one installed the VLED Micro Extreme LED bulbs? I am curious about the fit and the light output?

We have HIDs in our ‘14 edge and can’t stand the halogens in our new to us 2017 Sienna XLE.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I'm surprised that you think that the HID's on your Edge are better than the halogens on your Sienna since the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Edge's HIDs its lowest "Poor" rating and the Sienna's halogens its second highest "Acceptable" rating.

The IIHS didn't test the Edge's HID headlights until 2017 but it looks like the 2017 and 2014 are the same vehicle except for minor styling changes. The 2017 Sienna halogen headlights get the same Acceptable rating from the IIHS as the HID headlights available on the Sienna Limited.

Insurance Institute ratings can be viewed at https://www.iihs.org/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that I should have said that I have aftermarket 35w 6000k HID bulbs and ballasts in my edge. And yes they are 3 times a bright at the sienna

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I guess that I should have said that I have aftermarket 35w 6000k HID bulbs and ballasts in my edge. And yes they are 3 times a bright at the sienna
Well you did ask for input which I'll give you since automotive lighting has been a primary interest of mine for over 50 years. I've done many headlight conversions using complete headlight units. I've even experimented with a variety of aftermarket bulb kits but discarded all of them.

6000K generates far less usable light that the standard 4100K HID bulbs used by Toyota although I don't doubt that your 6000K bulbs look "bright" - at least in the foreground.. If you had previously had the standard halogen system in your Edge, you should know that that system also gained the lowest "Poor" rating from the IIHS. The Poor rating wasn't due to the halogen bulbs since there have been a number of halogen headlight systems that received the IIHS highest "Good" rating.

The problem with the Edge's halogen headlight system could only have been caused by poor optics. Putting aftermarket HID bulbs in a halogen system that performs poorly due to poor optics only gets you headlights with aftermarket HID bulbs that also perform poorly due to poor optics. And, of course, the Edge's halogen headlight system does not have the beam leveling system required for HID.

Remember, just because people don't flash you doesn't mean that you aren't blinding others with your bulb conversion kits. I've given up on flashing people that have blinding aftermarket low beams since it does no good. I grit my teeth and pull to the shoulder when necessary.

Sure, try some LED aftermarket bulbs. But why not buy a vehicle that has factory LED or HID with beam leveling that gets decent IIHS ratings? All our vehicles have either factory HID or LED headlights and all have beam leveling of either the manual or automatic type. These vehicles weren't hard to get.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The best you can do is a projector retrofit and highly recommend. I did mine and is the best investment I have made on my “swagger wagon” . It was fairly easy for me and cost me about $300 for parts. If you need help just let me know and I’ll give you the tutorials that helped me. One of the main reasons I did this and not put leds into the van is because I don’t like the people that stick leds into anything especially halogen reflectors blinding everybody and not research what a proper setup consists of even though I think putting leds into the sienna would have a decent cutoff, but went for the best for me and other drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best you can do is a projector retrofit and highly recommend. I did mine and is the best investment I have made on my “swagger wagon” . It was fairly easy for me and cost me about $300 for parts. If you need help just let me know and I’ll give you the tutorials that helped me. One of the main reasons I did this and not put leds into the van is because I don’t like the people that stick leds into anything especially halogen reflectors blinding everybody and not research what a proper setup consists of even though I think putting leds into the sienna would have a decent cutoff, but went for the best for me and other drivers.

I have a 2012 Sienna and would like to upgrade my headlamps. Recommendations are welcome.
Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2012 Sienna and would like to upgrade my headlamps. Recommendations are welcome.
Thank you
Here are the tutorials I used to do mine. The first one talks about a foreground limiter and didn’t use one because didn’t know where to make one, but really didn’t care about having one, not a big deal. You need a Dremel to shave off the parts and will be obvious when you want to line the projector up. If you decide to do it make sure you have level ground so when you test the projector it be straight and not crooked before you put the headlights back together cuz that’s what happened to me a little bit, but no biggie. If you want more info, research or pay someone else to make them I would suggest signing up on headlight junkies on Facebook. The first tutorial is the projector I used which has hi and lo beams. I waited til Black Friday and got $100 off when I bought everything on theretrofitsource.com. Also if you do decide I can give you the list I bought to make things easier because I did extensive research before pulling the plug.

2015 SE Morimoto 4TL-R HID Projector Retrofit Photos and Details

TRS TL Retrofit on 2012 Sienna

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the tutorials I used to do mine. The first one talks about a foreground limiter and didn’t use one because didn’t know where to make one, but really didn’t care about having one, not a big deal. You need a Dremel to shave off the parts and will be obvious when you want to line the projector up. If you decide to do it make sure you have level ground so when you test the projector it be straight and not crooked before you put the headlights back together cuz that’s what happened to me a little bit, but no biggie. If you want more info, research or pay someone else to make them I would suggest signing up on headlight junkies on Facebook. The first tutorial is the projector I used which has hi and lo beams. I waited til Black Friday and got $100 off when I bought everything on theretrofitsource.com. Also if you do decide I can give you the list I bought to make things easier because I did extensive research before pulling the plug.

2015 SE Morimoto 4TL-R HID Projector Retrofit Photos and Details

TRS TL Retrofit on 2012 Sienna

Thanks for all the information. I just got my 2019 SE and was unimpressed with the stock headlight performance. With Black Friday just a few months away, I plan to take your path by waiting for a sale. Could you provide the list of items you needed? That'd be extremely helpful for a newb like me. I take it that I should upgrade the stock projectors to Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors along with a D2S compatible HID system? Are shrouds optional?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I just got my 2019 SE and was unimpressed with the stock headlight performance. With Black Friday just a few months away, I plan to take your path by waiting for a sale. Could you provide the list of items you needed? That'd be extremely helpful for a newb like me. I take it that I should upgrade the stock projectors to Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors along with a D2S compatible HID system? Are shrouds optional?
Here is the list I bought plus the washers to space out the projector like the tutorial. You also need a Dremel to shave some pieces. I highly doubt you will need shrouds because the it should be all one piece, mine was a ‘13 le with different style headlights. I went with the Hylux ballast for their quality and not having to buy relay harness. If you decide on Hylux there are 35w 45w and 55w. The higher you go the warmer the light tends to become. I would advise not going to 55w for heat issues and the bulbs tend to burn out quicker. I went with 45w to get best of both worlds. I also got high beam splitter to have quad high beams, but didn’t like it. I love my CBI bulbs and I would suggest a straight amp—>d2s cable, so you can pass it straight through the rubber end caps you also need to buy.

View attachment 44333

·
Registered
31 Posts
My limited experience shows a very difficult time with LED retrofits... I put a pair in my old 2013 C-Max Energi and... I'd have a hard time saying if they were better or worse... The color change made some things stand out more than others...

Then, tried some in our 2011 Sienna Limited AWD which we liked the output of the halogens on for years, but the last couple it somehow got dim... Not quite sure if the projector housing has clouded or if the bulbs have gotten dimmer... Anyhow, tried the same sort of LED bulbs in there and in the garage, the LEDs looked WAY brighter and a larger spot on the wall. Out on the road? It was super scary. We were coming home when it got dark and I could just barely see the road. I went slow, covered the brake the entire ride home and the halogens went back in.

It's hard to tell for sure from reviews... I think there may be good retrofit options, but it's hard to tell which ones are actually good and in which headlight assemblies...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My limited experience shows a very difficult time with LED retrofits... I put a pair in my old 2013 C-Max Energi and... I'd have a hard time saying if they were better or worse... The color change made some things stand out more than others...

Then, tried some in our 2011 Sienna Limited AWD which we liked the output of the halogens on for years, but the last couple it somehow got dim... Not quite sure if the projector housing has clouded or if the bulbs have gotten dimmer... Anyhow, tried the same sort of LED bulbs in there and in the garage, the LEDs looked WAY brighter and a larger spot on the wall. Out on the road? It was super scary. We were coming home when it got dark and I could just barely see the road. I went slow, covered the brake the entire ride home and the halogens went back in.

It's hard to tell for sure from reviews... I think there may be good retrofit options, but it's hard to tell which ones are actually good and in which headlight assemblies...
Each projector is specifically made for each type of bulb and when you put other types of bulbs you are gambling on whether it will look good, but most of the time light just scatters all over which blinds everyone on the road and not being able to see yourself. That’s why I bought HID projectors to put HID bulbs cuz I wanted the best output the proper way. I hate especially the lifted truck people that just stick LED’s into halogen housings and BLIND everyone thinking their setup looks good which in truth sucks a**. It is a little expensive but totally worth it!! Best investment I’ve made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 55 watt xentec hid kit with slim balasts..... they are amazing. U are wasting your time with led headlights. My hids are as bright as a bmw hid and the visibility is double than the standard halogen bulb. Weather you choose to use led or hid headlights... you will also need to install a relay harness to avoid one headlight occasionly not turning on and/or headlight slightly flickering.

·
Super Moderator
4,415 Posts
Sienna OEM HID system is 35 watt, and with the total package optics designed for arc lamps the distribution is quite good. 55 watt (high lumen arc bulbs) is total overkill, and when plunked into a Halogen optics housing might seem good for YOU, but they are a killer for oncoming traffic that have to look into them.

Don't be that person....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts