Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As per Toyota's website, LED tail lights are standard on all the 2021 Sienna trims. I just bought an XLE and it has the traditional bulb tail light. I noticed it after I brought it home. The salesman is clueless. Do you all have the 3 bar LED tail lights or is it only supposed to be on the higher trims?

·
Registered
Sienna XLE '04
21 Posts
Wow - that's strange... I too assumed everything was LED but I just might recall, on one of the YouTube videos.. (like ToyotaJeff or something) that there was 1 little difference somewhere and they prob. glossed over it and maybe that was it. Good luck! I'm looking the XLE too.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
897 Posts
As per Toyota's website, LED tail lights are standard on all the 2021 Sienna trims. I just bought an XLE and it has the traditional bulb tail light. I noticed it after I brought it home. The salesman is clueless. Do you all have the 3 bar LED tail lights or is it only supposed to be on the higher trims?
Wow - that's strange... I too assumed everything was LED but I just might recall, on one of the YouTube videos.. (like ToyotaJeff or something) that there was 1 little difference somewhere and they prob. glossed over it and maybe that was it. Good luck! I'm looking the XLE too.
Taillights & Stoplights on all models are LED. Rear Turn WY21W, Backup W16W, License W5W.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
217 Posts
Did you take a slow-motion video with the hazard lights flashing? There should be flickering as the LED is pulsed on/off quickly as to be imperceptible to the eye, as well as a rapid transition from off to on and back again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you take a slow-motion video with the hazard lights flashing? There should be flickering as the LED is pulsed on/off quickly as to be imperceptible to the eye, as well as a rapid transition from off to on and back again.
Not sure what this means but here is a look at the tail light with the hatch open. The place where the LED tubes are supposed to run horizontally is hollow. While changing the reverse bulbs to LED, I did not notice any wires going to the portion of the tail light that is on the hatch.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I pulled the tail light assembly. They do have a tiny LED bulb for the tail light, just not the 3 bar full LED tail light I was expecting. I guess that is reserved for the higher trims. That solves the mystery for me. While I was at it, I also swapped out the turn signal bulbs with Lasfits switchbacks that I pulled out of my 4runner before trading it in. The switchback feature won't be used but the turn signal is bright as hell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. I have an LE AWD and just checked. My tail lights only have a single bulb and not the three light strips shown on Toyota’s website. I guess I should have checked this prior to purchasing but I’m disappointed this is the case. I cannot find any website that talks about the differences in the tail lights depending on the trim level, including Toyota’s website. I’m eager to hear from those with the higher trim levels what their tail lights look like.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-passenger FWD
1 Posts
I have a '21 XLE and was also disappointed when I discovered the rear "LED" lights. So does anybody know if there are parts available to upgrade to the light strips found on the XSE, Limited, and Platinum? Does it require replacement of the entire rear lamp assembly? Or can we just purchase the light strips and install them into the current assembly?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a '21 XLE and was also disappointed when I discovered the rear "LED" lights. So does anybody know if there are parts available to upgrade to the light strips found on the XSE, Limited, and Platinum? Does it require replacement of the entire rear lamp assembly? Or can we just purchase the light strips and install them into the current assembly?
If you go back to the main page under 4th Gen, you'll see a mod section. There's a guy on there that did it. It's more involved than plug and play, but doesn't seem too bad

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry, how can you tell from the outside? By the speed that the light turns on? I replaced the light bulbs in my old Honda with LED bulbs and it made a big difference (super easy - just like replacing a light bulb).

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I pulled the tail light assembly. They do have a tiny LED bulb for the tail light, just not the 3 bar full LED tail light I was expecting. I guess that is reserved for the higher trims. That solves the mystery for me. While I was at it, I also swapped out the turn signal bulbs with Lasfits switchbacks that I pulled out of my 4runner before trading it in. The switchback feature won't be used but the turn signal is bright as hell.
This one is an XLE trim but has tail lights on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a 2021 Sienna XLE and found that it did not have the tail lights featured in all of the adds and on the toyota.com website. At the time of my purchase the Toyota specs showed ALL trim levels came with the same tail lights. The toyota.com error has been corrected to show that the XLE does not have the same level of rear lighting as the other models. Toyota has been giving me the run around on their error for a couple of months. After they argued that their website was corrrect - I sent them a picture of their incorrect website. Now they tell me that customers should not rely on the website but on the window sticker. The sticker doesn’t distinguish the difference either. Toyota should do better by their loyal customers. Not finished yet

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3 bar is only on limited, platinum only

1 - 20 of 64 Posts