Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few threads on lift kits and related mods, but I want to attempt to focus in on the SE model in particular. I love everything about the SE, except, it's too damn low to the ground and impossible to park in almost every curb style parking spot without damaging the front bumper, I love almost everything about the extensive thought that goes into Toyota's design and engineering, however, I'm majorly disappointed with Toyota's design on this one thing.

So, having said that, I started looking at lifts for the sienna and was blown away at how awesome this van looks lifted with possibly some more aggressive looking tires and rims. Now I really want to lift the SE, like the 3.5 journey's off road maybe or something similar. I've attempted to contact Journey's multiple times, they either are super busy or don't support the SE or both as I have not been able to get through to them or get an answer to my question that I left both on text and email.

Question to this thread is, what are my options for lifting the SE model, what is proven to work, what is a good DIY solution? Please don't respond with your solution to a non SE model as they are different, the springs, struts, and rear shocks are different, that may warrant a different topic for discussion and I didn't want to discuss that in this thread.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Question to this thread is, what are my options for lifting the SE model, what is proven to work, what is a good DIY solution? Please don't respond with your solution to a non SE model as they are different, the springs, struts, and rear shocks are different, that may warrant a different topic for discussion and I didn't want to discuss that in this thread.

Thank you!!
I really don't think there is any difference between the SE and other trim level like the XLE because you will change all your springs, struts and rear shocks anyway. Although I have not done mine, in theory, it did not matter if you want to lift your SE to 3.5 inches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you wan to lift to 2" front, you can do this without any changes in constructions, if you whant mote space you need to buy overpriced kits :)
Ideal lift to 3mm front and 4mm back with original springs (excuse me i forgot how its name in English and translate thought goggle from Russian)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ha, I just posted about lowering my XLE AWD and I used SE shocks. Guess I have the opposite problem you have. I did a lot of research on the SE and what I found indicated the SE has stiffer shocks the the springs are .5" lower than non SE van. I checked out that Journey's kit. My guess would be that it's going to add 3.5" to whatever you have. If you want the max lift, get some non SE Toyota springs but it would only be another 1/2". I would keep the SE shocks, I just put them in my van and the non SE shocks were way soft in my opinion. I am not an expert but I have worked in the auto service industry my whole life. In my experience there is always some risk in modifying a car but I love driving and love it when it pays off. Might not find many or anyone who has lifted an SE. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, I just posted about lowering my XLE AWD and I used SE shocks. Guess I have the opposite problem you have. I did a lot of research on the SE and what I found indicated the SE has stiffer shocks the the springs are .5" lower than non SE van. I checked out that Journey's kit. My guess would be that it's going to add 3.5" to whatever you have. If you want the max lift, get some non SE Toyota springs but it would only be another 1/2". I would keep the SE shocks, I just put them in my van and the non SE shocks were way soft in my opinion. I am not an expert but I have worked in the auto service industry my whole life. In my experience there is always some risk in modifying a car but I love driving and love it when it pays off. Might not find many or anyone who has lifted an SE. Good luck!
Thank you Xixang, looks like you have done the research, another question, related is, where did you get the SE struts/springs, the front shocks are pretty much worn out and I need to replace, the toyota OEM does not have a quickstrut assembly, however rockauto does have the FCS quickstrut assembly that is specifically for the SE, wondering if I should trust the FCS or do the extra work to switch springs over to the new struts.

I agree with you, the SE springs/shocks are stiffer, and I like it that way, that's why I bought the SE model, but my bumper under engine cover has been damaged multiple times and I won't let anyone else drive the van anymore :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Xixang, looks like you have done the research, another question, related is, where did you get the SE struts/springs, the front shocks are pretty much worn out and I need to replace, the toyota OEM does not have a quickstrut assembly, however rockauto does have the FCS quickstrut assembly that is specifically for the SE, wondering if I should trust the FCS or do the extra work to switch springs over to the new struts.

I agree with you, the SE springs/shocks are stiffer, and I like it that way, that's why I bought the SE model, but my bumper under engine cover has been damaged multiple times and I won't let anyone else drive the van anymore :)

I got mine at the dealer, that way I could be sure they were the best quality. Hard to say on the Rock Auto brand. I do understand the convenience of the loaded assemblies. Are you still thinking you're going to add the lift kit while you're in there? Not sure how far away you are but I have 20k mile XLE springs that might raise you up a half inch and 20k mile XLE shocks, they're in good shape but not SE. And they're not loaded as I needed those perches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts