Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping you guys who have lifted your van can give me some thoughts on these three lift options.

I live in Phoenix, but our family does a lot of road trips and camping up in the mountains. Typically we have about two hours of driving up twisty roads into the mountains, and then maybe a half our of dirt roads and then two-tracks. At the end, we are in places where more ground clearance is desired.

1. FIXED LIFT
I see members on this form have done fixed lifts by using strut extenders and new springs. This seems like a fairly reliable option, other than potential CV stress. So I would probably only do a 1" lift as to not cause too much damage, and because I like when the wheels are concentric to their wells. It should be relatively inexpensive, I see the one member selling his kit on eBay for $1200 dollars.

2. ADJUSTABLE AIR BAG KIT
I really like the idea of and adjustable lift system. Then I could leave it at stock right height (or even lower) for daily driving and canyon carving. Then when I'm on dirt, I could adjust the suspension up higher, say 2-3", and not worry too much about the stress on the system. 99% of my driving would be stock, and 1% would be lifted.

I spoke with the folks at www.airbagit.com, and they sell a complete airbag kit complete with the compressor, controller, lines etc for $2195. This should be able to give 2-2.5" of lift on demand. The downside of this is that at the lower setting, which gets used most of the time, would be softer, and when raised it would be firmer. That is the opposite of what I'd like. They said the could dial this in for a firm ride when low, but this tells me the ride when lifted will be extra firm.

3. HYBRID COILOVER/AIRBAG STRUT
I've been working with the guys at Universal Air to put together a hybrid strut that has both a coilover strut and an airbag for $1935 complete. The airbag is deflated during normal driving, so it rides on the coil spring of desired firmness. Then when I need the lift, the airbag gets inflated.

This would be the best of both systems, a firm ride when low, then on a bag when lifted. The downside is this is only for the front, the back would just get bagged without a spring. So it would still suffer from a softer ride when low.

Any thoughts on these setups?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see this post is a couple of years old. I'm looking to do the same thing but worried about handling and the CV stress. Do you have any updats or advice from what you've learned?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts