Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

been working on a 2005 Sienna adventure project. We’ve just had the Journeys Off Road lift kit installed by a shop, new tires (rubbing a bit, probably have to downsize slightly), and alignment done. Everything looks great and the shop said the install went fine, but we’ve got quite a bit of vibration when accelerating. The shop said this is probably due the new angles of everything and I’ve read that sometimes lifts need some time to settle and the vibration will go away. Anybody have any experience with this? We had new axles and struts installed at the same time as the kit.

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd phone Journeys to see what they think about it. I would think that if anyone knows it would be them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,429 Posts
CV joints have acceptable maximum angles of operation, and all assemblies might not be machined to the exact same tolerances. Aftermarket axles may be more susceptible to limitations than OEM. When you accelerate, angles change. One axle squats, one axle lifts. Lifts and squats don't necessarily move in a rectilinear relationship, they can move in arcs, especially if bushing aren't holding things as straight as they should. A "Constant Rotational Velocity" assembly is supposed to rotate as the name implies: smoothly and without acceleration/deceleration. Net is that it sounds like something is moving beyond spec when you accelerate, and the axle is transitioning from smooth rotation to hopping as a result.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A few things to consider. Is it low speed? Does it finally clear up? Bad CV joints can and do cause low speed wobble/vibration. I know, my after market CV joints on my lifted Sienna are crap. Are your tires balanced? Your wheel bearings and wheel hub also could be shot. Does it happen more turning in one direction? Any of these can give you a vibration.

On a personal note I think Journeys lift is too high. I did mine with Highlander struts so I could use taller tires for 1" of lift plus the Highlander strut is about an inch taller than the base Sienna strut. I'm actually going to lower my lift/puck by an inch in attempt to get better wear on my CV joints.

cheer and good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey everyone!

been working on a 2005 Sienna adventure project. We’ve just had the Journeys Off Road lift kit installed by a shop, new tires (rubbing a bit, probably have to downsize slightly), and alignment done. Everything looks great and the shop said the install went fine, but we’ve got quite a bit of vibration when accelerating. The shop said this is probably due the new angles of everything and I’ve read that sometimes lifts need some time to settle and the vibration will go away. Anybody have any experience with this? We had new axles and struts installed at the same time as the kit.

Any info is appreciated! View attachment 47159
Dorian,
Does the vibration occur at steady speed? Does the vibration occur at some speeds and not other speeds? If so check wheel balance. If the vibration began right after the lift kit was installed and no other work was done, then check all the details of the installation. If other work was done check that also.

Tires rubbing a bit means that the tires do not fit.

Where did you read that sometimes lifts need some time to settle and the vibration will go away? I have never experienced anything like that.

I have the JourneysOffRoad 3.5-inch lift kit on my 05 XLE AWD. Purchased in early March 2019 and had the kit installed by my mechanic March 20, 2019. I have driven a bit over 40,000 miles with the lift kit and AT tires. I am quite pleased with the setup. The van handles fine both on and off the pavement. It corners well, brakes fine, and doesn’t feel "tippy" at all. The added height was a notable change when getting in and out at first, but I adjusted quickly. I have not had any problems with the CV joints, boots, alignment or handling.

I have not had any vibration issues with the lift or the tires.

·
Registered
2004, Toyota Sienna XLE, AWD - w/journey lift installed 8/20
9 Posts
Hey everyone!

Any info is appreciated! View attachment 47159
Hi-
We have had the same experience- :-(
5 months after lift installed started getting vibration @ highway speed & when going up hills.
Discovered that front axle boots were cracked & leaking.
Assuming 'old' boot rubber could not acclimate to new angles.
Now replacing both front axels.
1st aftermarket set arrived incomplete.
2nd from Toyota dealer was wrong diameter.
Now driving on 'salvage' axels.

Vibration is measurably less---but ride is not quite as cush as before.
Buying new tires & then getting an alignment.
(wanted slightly larger tires but now deciding to stay w/225/60R17 Geolanders)
Hoping this will solve the issues.
LOVE our lift though---

*An aside=seems the "Negative Camber" on the rear tires has increased...if that's possible?
Calling Mike @ Journey today for his takes...He has been very forthcoming w/info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any updates on this post? I recently installed the journeys lift kit to my FWD 2006 Sienna and had similar issues with vibration on the highway under load going uphill. I noticed my cv boots had cracked due to the new angles and lost all grease so I replaced both cv axles with brand new Cardone axles off Amazon and now I have the vibration at low speed when accelerating from a stop up to about 20mph. Not sure if new OEM axles are the only resolution.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,340 Posts
Typical for some posters , they come here for info but do not post back solutions , which when you think about it , makes the forum work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates on this post? I recently installed the journeys lift kit to my FWD 2006 Sienna and had similar issues with vibration on the highway under load going uphill. I noticed my cv boots had cracked due to the new angles and lost all grease so I replaced both cv axles with brand new Cardone axles off Amazon and now I have the vibration at low speed when accelerating from a stop up to about 20mph. Not sure if new OEM axles are the only resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our worble saga is ongoing---but hopefully headed in the right direction toward a smooth dependable ride once again.

We will be ordering & replacing our 'salvage' CV axels with REMANUFACTURED ones ordered from Oreilly per Mike @ Journey recommendation.
*note there is a "right" pair & a "wrong" pair potentially sent w/same part numbers .
Imperative we receive are the 'right' ones & match foto sent from Journey of course.

But our biggest drama has been replacing the front struts.
Ordered the Monroe complete strut & coil set up & regular rears per Journey recommendation.
Despite the strut assembly measuring perfectly in height, the HD rigidity of the coil (& extra loop) posed its own installation dramas.
After initial installation the wheel camber angles were insane!
And the body was elevated inches more than w/the old shocks...
Could not attach the new ones correctly on the driver side---& camber adjustment bolt holes were way out of line :-(
No way to align---the alignment would not even touch them.
In short: Undriveable.

Journey prescribed two MOOG 'problem solver' Sway Bar end links PART # K750091.
We ordered them.

After 3 days of this drama; lots of iphone photos & notes back & forth between us---
Our dynamo Mexican mechanic swearing these shocks just won't work---
Journey swearing mechanic error---
Myself in the middle translating spanish-english both directions---frustrated; I decided to trailer the van to Arizona & let those guys doctor it & review.

Honestly, I was ready to uninstall the lift---life is just too short for this level of aggravation...
We are not 'car-guys', just want to get in & go---pay for service & enjoy the ride... :]

After booking a vehicle transport trailer-a room in Prescott (a 7 hour drive) & scheduling a service day for the following week w/Journey, I swung by mechanic's to p/up the van which was now out of the bay parked on the street.

From the road, miraculously, it didn't look half bad---
Somehow the front wheels now-though still canted-were w/in reason...
Mechanic had said drive it slow & only a short distance [home to get it on the transport trailer]---
I got the keys & drove the van straight to No County Spring; the outfit we had install the lift last August-8 months ago.

Enroute-the van, albeit out of alignment-drove pretty well.
Tony-the owner of No County Spring- crawled around beneath the van & said---
"No need for anything---Drive the van like you stole it & come back in 2 weeks for a recheck & alignment."
What!?
Repeat-"Drive the van like you stole it-FAST-come back in a couple weeks for a recheck & alignment."
Then went on to explain that these HD struts need time to settle & adjust.
Evidently happens regularly w/some big Ford trucks.
note: this advice to move the van concurs w/Brian from Journey's advice early on.

...But that was pre-MOOG order/installation when parts were not even fitting...

Fast forward 5 days-
We are not going to Arizona.
The van is driving better with each mile, settling-in measurably in feel & height.
Journey would not sell us their set of remanufactured CV Axels so we will order our own set to start out w/fresh rubber.
(even tho the spring guy said "Don't fix it if its not broke".)

Stay tuned...
Will update after 2 weeks once alignment has been done & new CV axles have been installed.
The ride is not as choppy as it was-& it is improving...

Work/parts implemented to remedy the shimmy & leaky CV axel boots:
  • New 'salvage' CV axles
  • New(ish) tires Yokohama Geolander G91s
  • New Monroe shocks/struts all the way around
  • MOOG 'problem solver' Sway Bar end links PART # K750091
Next steps going forward:
  • Install Remanufactured CV axels from Oreilly
  • Complete Alignment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our worble saga is ongoing---but hopefully headed in the right direction toward a smooth dependable ride once again.

We will be ordering & replacing our 'salvage' CV axels with REMANUFACTURED ones ordered from Oreilly per Mike @ Journey recommendation.
*note there is a "right" pair & a "wrong" pair potentially sent w/same part numbers .
Imperative we receive are the 'right' ones & match foto sent from Journey of course.

Ordered the Monroe complete strut & coil set up & regular rears per Journey recommendation.
Despite the strut assembly measuring perfectly in height, the HD rigidity of the coil (& extra loop) posed its own installation dramas.
Could not attach the new ones correctly on the driver side---& camber adjustment bolt holes were way out of line :-(
View attachment 49241 View attachment 49244 View attachment 49245

We ordered them.

After 3 days of this drama; lots of iphone photos & notes back & forth between us---
Myself in the middle translating spanish-english both directions---frustrated; I decided to trailer the van to Arizona & let those guys doctor it & review.

Honestly, I was ready to uninstall the lift---life is just too short for this level of aggravation...
We are not 'car-guys', just want to get in & go---pay for service & enjoy the ride... :]

After booking a vehicle transport trailer-a room in Prescott (a 7 hour drive) & scheduling a service day for the following week w/Journey, I swung by mechanic's to p/up the van which was now out of the bay parked on the street.

Mechanic had said drive it slow & only a short distance [home to get it on the transport trailer]---
I got the keys & drove the van straight to No County Spring; the outfit we had install the lift last August-8 months ago.

"No need for anything---Drive the van like you stole it & come back in 2 weeks for a recheck & alignment."
What!?
Repeat-"Drive the van like you stole it-FAST-come back in a couple weeks for a recheck & alignment."
note: this advice to move the van concurs w/Brian from Journey's advice early on.

Fast forward 5 days-
The van is driving better with each mile, settling-in measurably in feel & height.
Journey would not sell us their set of remanufactured CV Axels so we will order our own set to start out w/fresh rubber.

Stay tuned...
Will update after 2 weeks once alignment has been done & new CV axles have been installed.

• New 'salvage' CV axles
  • Complete Alignment

We ordered them.

What!?

Fast forward 5 days-

Stay tuned...

• New 'salvage' CV axles
  • Complete Alignment

We ordered them.

What!?

Fast forward 5 days-

Stay tuned...

• New 'salvage' CV axles
  • Complete Alignment
Great information!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel your pain! It’s like I took a totally smooth riding van and ruined it with this lift and bigger tires but I’m too deep now to give up just yet. It’s been very frustrating and has turned into much more of a project than I ever anticipated. I’m moving from California to Florida in 2 months and need to drive this van but there’s no way it would make it at this point with this axle vibration. I’ll be contacting Journeys tomorrow to see about those Oreilly axles because the new Cardone brand ones I put on still vibrate but now at low and high speeds under load

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain! It’s like I took a totally smooth riding van and ruined it with this lift and bigger tires but I’m too deep now to give up just yet. It’s been very frustrating and has turned into much more of a project than I ever anticipated. I’m moving from California to Florida in 2 months and need to drive this van but there’s no way it would make it at this point with this axle vibration. I’ll be contacting Journeys tomorrow to see about those Oreilly axles because the new Cardone brand ones I put on still vibrate but now at low and high speeds under load
Yeah-
I'd remove the big tires & return to standard tires-
225/60 R17 in my case-
Yokohama Geolander G91s can be found with 8-9/32nds tread for $120 a pair down here in San Diego - (that's like 80%) vs $240 a piece new-
L.A. even cheaper-

Our van is driving better w/every mile.
CV Axels-Tires-Shocks-Moog sway bar links now seem to be working in concert to remedy the shimmy.
Will know more in 2 weeks.

If you are in or near San Diego the guys @ No County Spring have now had some experience w/this lift.
Or better yet get the van to Prescott Arizona & let Journey remedy your grief.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah-
I'd remove the big tires & return to standard tires-
225/60 R17 in my case-
Yokohama Geolander G91s can be found with 8-9/32nds tread for $120 a pair down here in San Diego - (that's like 80%) vs $240 a piece new-
L.A. even cheaper-

Our van is driving better w/every mile.
CV Axels-Tires-Shocks-Moog sway bar links now seem to be working in concert to remedy the shimmy.
Will know more in 2 weeks.

If you are in or near San Diego the guys @ No County Spring have now had some experience w/this lift.
Or better yet get the van to Prescott Arizona & let Journey remedy your grief.

Good luck.
Actually I am located in San Diego, Ocean Beach to be specific and may get in touch with North County Spring if I totally reach my wits end. Thanks again for all the info and keep us posted on the progress 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually I am located in San Diego, Ocean Beach to be specific and may get in touch with North County Spring if I totally reach my wits end. Thanks again for all the info and keep us posted on the progress 👍
We are up @ Lake Hodges --- between Rancho & Escondido---
Happy to help-
LOVE my van & the lift---just want it to roll right

·
Registered
11 Posts

Man you sound just like me. My 2004 Sienna is a campervan done by Contravans in Denver. I took a van that drove perfectly to Prescott and had Journeys do the install. They gave it back to me and then mentioned the van now had a slight wobble and that some older models can have said wobble that "goes away" after 15 mph. I wish they would have mentioned that they've seen the wobble in older Siennas, on occasion, before I decided to do the lift. i
Well It shook so bad as I left the shop I brought it right back. They were cool about it and replaced the CV axles and the wobble was not as bad but still there. They said since it smooths out at about 20 it should be fine. I added 235 70/R16s once I got back to San Diego and did another alignment. The wobble remains and now with only 1800 miles on the lift as I was adding the Journeys spacers to the front wheels I noticed the axle boot was completely torn open.

So Monday I will bring it into my local shop and discuss replacing the literally brand new CV axles with OEM axles in the hope that that will stop the wobble. If that doesn't do it I guess my next move will be to remove the lift kit.

The most frustrating thing is that this is all self inflicted, and if I end up removing the lift kit it's about a 6k+ failed experiment.

HOPEFULLY the OEM shafts work out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't give up yet---
Its definitely a work in progress---
I literally lived at the mechanics for the good part of a week trying to figure out what to do going forward-
Was at the point of removing the lifts for sure---Just too much drama!
But after ALL the parts were in place its driving well again.
Your tire size might be part of the problem-

But the part that turned the thing around for me was the:
As my previous post describes-
Work/parts implemented to remedy the shimmy, bump & leaky CV axel boots:
  • Replaced leaky CV axels with 'salvage' CV axles
  • New(ish) tires Yokohama Geolander G91s SIZE: 225/60 R17
Monday 4/12 will return to suspension shop:
  • Complete Alignment
IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3946.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man you sound just like me. My 2004 Sienna is a campervan done by Contravans in Denver. I took a van that drove perfectly to Prescott and had Journeys do the install. They gave it back to me and then mentioned the van now had a slight wobble and that some older models can have said wobble that "goes away" after 15 mph. I wish they would have mentioned that they've seen the wobble in older Siennas, on occasion, before I decided to do the lift. i
Well It shook so bad as I left the shop I brought it right back. They were cool about it and replaced the CV axles and the wobble was not as bad but still there. They said since it smooths out at about 20 it should be fine. I added 235 70/R16s once I got back to San Diego and did another alignment. The wobble remains and now with only 1800 miles on the lift as I was adding the Journeys spacers to the front wheels I noticed the axle boot was completely torn open.

So Monday I will bring it into my local shop and discuss replacing the literally brand new CV axles with OEM axles in the hope that that will stop the wobble. If that doesn't do it I guess my next move will be to remove the lift kit.

The most frustrating thing is that this is all self inflicted, and if I end up removing the lift kit it's about a 6k+ failed experiment.

HOPEFULLY the OEM shafts work out.
Hey Tim, sad to hear about your issues. I’ve told my neighbor who was considering buying and lifting a Sienna to learn from my nightmare and save his money. I knew that lifting my van would cause it to ride a little rougher than the factory ride but never expected such a bad vibration from the front end. Just yesterday I went ahead and replaced my front ball joints, lower control arms, front struts, and front cv axles(for the second time) I installed KYB struts on front, moog lower control arms and ball joints, and the oreilly remanufactured axles. I’m happy to say that my vibration seems to be gone. I’m taking the van on a long drive today from SD to Campo which is when I could really feel the vibration under a load climbing up the hills on the highway. I will post later this evening when I get back to town to verify that my vibration issue is solved 🤞

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I drove the van about 140 miles today after replacing front struts, cv axles with oreilly remanufactured ones, lower control arms with lower ball joints due to my horrible vibration in the front end under load and I have to say that my vibration is almost totally gone. I did still have a slight vibration when accelerating from a stop up to about 10-15mph after driving 70 miles on the new parts but overall the ride was considerably more smooth than before. My steering wheel wasn’t violently shaking like my front end was falling apart when I went uphills on the interstate like before replacing the parts. It’s still not the smooth riding “Daddy Wagon” that it was before the lift but I expected somewhat of a decrease in ride quality especially with the bigger tires I put on it which I did have roadforce balanced. Knowing what I’ve been through with this kit I’ll never lift another vehicle I own as long as I live. I still have to get alignment done and will keep any updates posted here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts