Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't give up yet---
Its definitely a work in progress---
I literally lived at the mechanics for the good part of a week trying to figure out what to do going forward-
Was at the point of removing the lifts for sure---Just too much drama!
But after ALL the parts were in place its driving well again.
Your tire size might be part of the problem-

But the part that turned the thing around for me was the:
  • MOOG 'problem solver' Sway Bar end links PART # K750091
As my previous post describes-
Work/parts implemented to remedy the shimmy, bump & leaky CV axel boots:
  • Replaced leaky CV axels with 'salvage' CV axles
  • New(ish) tires Yokohama Geolander G91s SIZE: 225/60 R17
  • New Monroe shocks/struts all the way around
Monday 4/12 will return to suspension shop:
  • Install Remanufactured CV axels from Oreilly
  • Complete Alignment

Hey thanks for the encouragement and info. I really don't want to give up. I love the added ground clearance.

I'm not sure the tires are a factor as the wobble was there with the original tires and actually seemed to slightly improve with the new Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015P 235 /70 R16 (but at this point I think I was imaging it)

The struts and rear shocks are new (Installed by Journeys)

I'll try the Moogs out. Are the new CV axles you're installing remanufactured Toyota OEM? My Sienna is front wheel drive, so I assume they're different than the AWD part.

thanks and cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't give up yet---
I literally lived at the mechanics for the good part of a week trying to figure out what to do going forward-

• Complete Alignment
View attachment 49674 View attachment 49674
Hey thanks for the encouragement and info. I really don't want to give up. I love the added ground clearance. I just can't believe new axle boots burst open after 1800 miles even with the wobble.
Well I drove the van about 140 miles today after replacing front struts, cv axles with oreilly remanufactured ones, lower control arms with lower ball joints due to my horrible vibration in the front end under load and I have to say that my vibration is almost totally gone. I did still have a slight vibration when accelerating from a stop up to about 10-15mph after driving 70 miles on the new parts but overall the ride was considerably more smooth than before. My steering wheel wasn’t violently shaking like my front end was falling apart when I went uphills on the interstate like before replacing the parts. It’s still not the smooth riding “Daddy Wagon” that it was before the lift but I expected somewhat of a decrease in ride quality especially with the bigger tires I put on it which I did have roadforce balanced. Knowing what I’ve been through with this kit I’ll never lift another vehicle I own as long as I live. I still have to get alignment done and will keep any updates posted here.

I'm not sure the tires are a factor as the wobble was there with the original tires and actually seemed to slightly improve with the new Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015P 235 /70 R16

I'll try the Moogs out. Are the new CV axles you're installing remanufactured Toyota OEM? My Sienna is front wheel drive so I assume they're different than the AWD part.
Well I drove the van about 140 miles today after replacing front struts, cv axles with oreilly remanufactured ones, lower control arms with lower ball joints due to my horrible vibration in the front end under load and I have to say that my vibration is almost totally gone. I did still have a slight vibration when accelerating from a stop up to about 10-15mph after driving 70 miles on the new parts but overall the ride was considerably more smooth than before. My steering wheel wasn’t violently shaking like my front end was falling apart when I went uphills on the interstate like before replacing the parts. It’s still not the smooth riding “Daddy Wagon” that it was before the lift but I expected somewhat of a decrease in ride quality especially with the bigger tires I put on it which I did have roadforce balanced. Knowing what I’ve been through with this kit I’ll never lift another vehicle I own as long as I live. I still have to get alignment done and will keep any updates posted here.
Hey thanks for the update. I hear you about not lifting another vehicle. Lesson learned for sure. I was willing to live with the wobble as long as It wasn't going to cause major issues elsewhere, but now my confidence in the vehicle is pretty damn shaken.

Based on yours and @maracopa help I'll keep trying to get it solved one $1500+ repair at a time LOL

I'll see what the shop has to say this week and keep you posted.

thanks and cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Prior to doing my traxda lift, I did a bunch of searching on here to see what cv axles work well. Though there wasn’t consensus, people seemed to do better with non-reman cvs. Car quest had some good reviews.
Good luck!

I decided to go traxda for simplicity and reduced strain on the suspension and drivetrain. So far so good, but def need shorter sway bar links for proper fit, despite what traxda may say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't give up yet---

• Complete Alignment
View attachment 49674 View attachment 49674
Do you know now the MOOG Problem Solver did to help the wobble? My shop doesn't see how that would reduce the vibration/wobble in the rotation of the CV axles?

thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Prior to doing my traxda lift, I did a bunch of searching on here to see what cv axles work well. Though there wasn’t consensus, people seemed to do better with non-reman cvs. Car quest had some good reviews.
Good luck!

I decided to go traxda for simplicity and reduced strain on the suspension and drivetrain. So far so good, but def need shorter sway bar links for proper fit, despite what traxda may say.
The Traxda looks pretty nice and like that it's only a 2" lift. Wish it was available for pre 2011 Siennas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm liking the sound of a lower lift to reduce the CV axle angle. I just feel like regardless of what I do to try and fix the current issues that I'm going to have issues with the current lift.

What size tires are you running? Any wobble/shake at all while accelerating?

Sorry for all the questions @Joshpeck but this is really helpful.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm liking the sound of a lower lift to reduce the CV axle angle. I just feel like regardless of what I do to try and fix the current issues that I'm going to have issues with the current lift.

What size tires are you running? Any wobble/shake at all while accelerating?

Sorry for all the questions @Joshpeck but this is really helpful.

Much appreciated
Not yet. Had the lift on for ~1k miles. Cv on one side looks like previous owner replaced. Other seems original (200k).
I have 235/70/16 falken wildpeak at3w.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did just email traxda and they did confirm that kit will fit my 2006 sienna. I wish I would have seen the traxda kit before installing the Journeys kit. I’m sure it has to be the over exaggerated cv axle angles due to the 3.5” lift that are causing these front end vibration issues. And the traxda kit is half the price and none of the headache

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's an update on my 04 FWD Sienna with the Journey's Lift Kit having wobble issues.

As I believe I mentioned after 1800 miles the wobble under power at low speed tore open one axle boot and destroyed both CV axles.

I bought the Traxda kit to replace the Journey's kit in the hope of reducing the angle of the shafts. My local shop installed the front part of the kit first which resulted in the van sitting nice and level with Traxda front/Journey's rear. (With the Journey's kit the car was nose high by several inches). The shop replaced the CV axles with a cheap set to see if the wobble was gone and to try and save me a few dollars. The wobble was less but still there, so opted to go with new Toyota CV axles. Thankfully the stock Toyota axles were the final piece of the puzzle. The wobble is gone. The van sits nice and level yet still has some good lift to it.

I will update with any additional info but hopefully I'm good to go.

thanks for all the help and info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's an update on my 04 FWD Sienna with the Journey's Lift Kit having wobble issues.

As I believe I mentioned after 1800 miles the wobble under power at low speed tore open one axle boot and destroyed both CV axles.

I bought the Traxda kit to replace the Journey's kit in the hope of reducing the angle of the shafts. My local shop installed the front part of the kit first which resulted in the van sitting nice and level with Traxda front/Journey's rear. (With the Journey's kit the car was nose high by several inches). The shop replaced the CV axles with a cheap set to see if the wobble was gone and to try and save me a few dollars. The wobble was less but still there, so opted to go with new Toyota CV axles. Thankfully the stock Toyota axles were the final piece of the puzzle. The wobble is gone. The van sits nice and level yet still has some good lift to it.

I will update with any additional info but hopefully I'm good to go.

thanks for all the help and info.
That’s great to hear! I also have smoothed out my vibration issues with oreilly remanufactured(masterpro brand) oem axles. The van rides great now. I can see that the axle boots are kinda rubbing on themselves due to the Journeys lift exaggerating the angles so I’m gonna keep an eye on them but happy for now. I still wouldn’t go through all this bullsh$t again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gonzo here, I've been trying to tell you folks the Journey's kit is too high. I drove my lifted Sienna almost 80K before I lowered it recently. Mine was not as high as Journey's. I had aluminum angled lift pucks with an effective lift of 1 1/4", plus the Highlander strut is 1". For a total of 2 1/4" of suspension lift. I also got 1" of lift from the taller tires 225/75/16 I was able run with the Highlander struts. During that time I swapped out 7-8 CV axles. Both new aftermarket krud and recycled Toyota CV's. The recycled parts are better than 3rd party junk but my van is now 13yrs old and all of the recycled CV axles have too much mileage on them now.

So I recently lowered it. I took out the puck. Got new complete KYB Highlander struts ($400). Swapped out upper mounting brackets with Sienna mounts (you need a spring compressor). Got new Toyota CV axles for just under a $1000 bucks and had my suspension guy install the CV axles and realigned it and now runs like a new van. Gone are the wobbles. In fact even before I installed the new axles the driver side wobble disappeared. I ended up with a 2" lift and still have 9" of clearance in the front down from 10 1/4" . Not quite as "cool" looking as before but still very nice IMHO. As for the $$$$ pain I probably have about 6K in total costs over the years from the beginning.

The Highlander struts with Sienna mounting brackets along with a Highlander strut tie is low hanging fruit that won't tear up your front end.

cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do those tires 235/70/16 fit without a lift? Im installing 235/60/18 tomorrow.. no lift. Had 235/50/18 but wanted light truck tires since the others wear so fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do those tires 235/70/16 fit without a lift? Im installing 235/60/18 tomorrow.. no lift. Had 235/50/18 but wanted light truck tires since the others wear so fast.
I honestly don't know. Just based on visual inspection I thought they would fit if I had to completely remove the lift. However I was thinking the front tires may have rubbed when fully turned. I added the Journeys wheel spacers to get them out from under the strut spring a little more (to make putting chains on a little easier)

Here are the spacers I'm talking about. Sienna Wheel Spacers

I can add a few pictures if that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I honestly don't know. Just based on visual inspection I thought they would fit if I had to completely remove the lift. However I was thinking the front tires may have rubbed when fully turned. I added the Journeys wheel spacers to get them out from under the strut spring a little more (to make putting chains on a little easier)

Here are the spacers I'm talking about. Sienna Wheel Spacers

I can add a few pictures if that helps.
Well I had them mounted and its ready to be picked up. I need to check out rubbing if its fully turned. This will be interesting, Mustang GT wheels with light truck tires mounted on them. Look for some photos later today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I had them mounted and its ready to be picked up. I need to check out rubbing if its fully turned. This will be interesting, Mustang GT wheels with light truck tires mounted on them. Look for some photos later today.
Keep those front spacers in mind if you need just a little more lateral clearance.

·
Registered
2006 Sienna FWD Limited
203 Posts
Gonzo here, I've been trying to tell you folks the Journey's kit is too high. I drove my lifted Sienna almost 80K before I lowered it recently. Mine was not as high as Journey's. I had aluminum angled lift pucks with an effective lift of 1 1/4", plus the Highlander strut is 1". For a total of 2 1/4" of suspension lift. I also got 1" of lift from the taller tires 225/75/16 I was able run with the Highlander struts. During that time I swapped out 7-8 CV axles. Both new aftermarket krud and recycled Toyota CV's. The recycled parts are better than 3rd party junk but my van is now 13yrs old and all of the recycled CV axles have too much mileage on them now.

So I recently lowered it. I took out the puck. Got new complete KYB Highlander struts ($400). Swapped out upper mounting brackets with Sienna mounts (you need a spring compressor). Got new Toyota CV axles for just under a $1000 bucks and had my suspension guy install the CV axles and realigned it and now runs like a new van. Gone are the wobbles. In fact even before I installed the new axles the driver side wobble disappeared. I ended up with a 2" lift and still have 9" of clearance in the front down from 10 1/4" . Not quite as "cool" looking as before but still very nice IMHO. As for the $$$$ pain I probably have about 6K in total costs over the years from the beginning.

The Highlander struts with Sienna mounting brackets along with a Highlander strut tie is low hanging fruit that won't tear up your front end.

cheers
HI, Gonzo,
Which year's highlander struts did you use on the 08 Sienna? Would you mind posting a part list? thanks

21 - 40 of 52 Posts