Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, Gonzo,
Which year's highlander struts did you use on the 08 Sienna? Would you mind posting a part list? thanks
I used 08 KYB Highlander struts and the same year stabilizer bar/strut tie rod. You'll need Sienna strut mounts. That's it.
Along with taller tires you're good to go about a $1K. If you're handy with a wrench and have youtube you can swap the struts out yourself.

·
Registered
2006 Sienna FWD Limited
203 Posts
I used 08 KYB Highlander struts and the same year stabilizer bar/strut tie rod. You'll need Sienna strut mounts. That's it.
Along with taller tires you're good to go about a $1K. If you're handy with a wrench and have youtube you can swap the struts out yourself.
Thanks.
I already have the 235/70R16 BFG KO2 terrain tires. I need to find a way to have the ability to put on snow chains/cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can only to that with the Highlanders struts. Taller tires on the Sienna strut is a dead end. That was my original thought back 2015.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i was looking into used highlander struts for my 2008 FWD XLE, and there's a number of options : sport AWD, FWD, AWD, so i assume not all the highlander struts are the same? Should i go with FWD highlander struts or are they all the same? thank you

ps. i did swap struts for a lift for a subaru outback , got some struts from a forester and lift pucks for the mounts and enabled me to put larger tires so i like this route, seems more affordable

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot. I installed the JOR lift kit on my 2012 AWD Sienna (100k miles) about 2 months ago. I'm going to replace the Moog sway bar links with godspeed adjustable this weekend. My big concern is a rattle that occurs between 30-35 mph. It doesn't matter if I'm accelerating, braking or coasting. When I'm below 30 mph it goes away (not abruptly, but fades) and when I'm above 35 it goes away in the same way. I don't feel any vibration associated with the rattling. The noise wasn't present before the lift. I've moved the U clamps for the exhaust and otherwise "poked around" for other potential trouble makers but am so far at a loss. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i was looking into used highlander struts for my 2008 FWD XLE, and there's a number of options : sport AWD, FWD, AWD, so i assume not all the highlander struts are the same? Should i go with FWD highlander struts or are they all the same? thank you

ps. i did swap struts for a lift for a subaru outback , got some struts from a forester and lift pucks for the mounts and enabled me to put larger tires so i like this route, seems more affordable

Not 100% sure but I think they're all the same. I believe the first ones I purchased were for the highlander sport version? Any of the Highlander struts will be able to handle a taller tire. 29" tall tires are the limit if you want to run chains and avoid rubbing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s great to hear! I also have smoothed out my vibration issues with oreilly remanufactured(masterpro brand) oem axles. The van rides great now. I can see that the axle boots are kinda rubbing on themselves due to the Journeys lift exaggerating the angles so I’m gonna keep an eye on them but happy for now. I still wouldn’t go through all this bullsh$t again.
Hey Snappy,
do you know if those masterpro axles are remanufactured OEM axles or just O’Reilys house brand that are remanufactured? I’m trying to get my issue resolved without OEM Toyota as they are on back order but Journeys insists the ”gimbaled“ tripod joint Is key. Already tried the TRQ brand which were absolute garbage.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Sienna FWD
5 Posts
Not 100% sure but I think they're all the same. I believe the first ones I purchased were for the highlander sport version? Any of the Highlander struts will be able to handle a taller tire. 29" tall tires are the limit if you want to run chains and avoid rubbing.
Question for Gonzo or someone else who has done the front Highlander strut swap:
Do you pull the top mount off the old Sienna strut and mount on top of the Highlander strut?
I was thinking to buy a 08 Highlander complete strut assembly from KYB, then use a spring compressor to remove my existing Sienna strut top mount hardware and hope it magically fits on top the KYB strut. It’s a risk which is why I’d like to hear from someone who has forged this path. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for Gonzo or someone else who has done the front Highlander strut swap:
Do you pull the top mount off the old Sienna strut and mount on top of the Highlander strut?
I was thinking to buy a 08 Highlander complete strut assembly from KYB, then use a spring compressor to remove my existing Sienna strut top mount hardware and hope it magically fits on top the KYB strut. It’s a risk which is why I’d like to hear from someone who has forged this path. Thank you!
Yes that's all you have to do and exactly what I did. The Sienna doesn't have the notch that the Highlander strut does so it doesn't mate up perfectly. But it works. I think after driving it now for several months that occasionally I can feel/hear it swivel but not 100% on that. So far it's been WAY better than when I had the 1.5" lift pucks.

·
Registered
2008 Sienna FWD
5 Posts
I purchased a single 08 HL KYB strut and took some measurements before my potential install but decided to go through with it for now. Retuned the strut. Opted for the Traxda 2” spacers instead for now. The HL strut was the same overall length as the Sienna OEM. The HL strut does have an ~1” higher lower coil support plate which will allow larger tires but the strut’s travel decreases by that 1”. I wasn’t confident about the total lift amount by just installing HL strut so I bailed deciding to let my OEM struts wear out first and then replace later with HL struts and probably keep the Traxda spacers. Installed the Traxda spacers front/rear yesterday and will install 225/70R16 tires before my next Baja trip in coming weeks. Thanks for all your posting Gonzo.

·
Registered
2008 Sienna FWD
5 Posts
maracopa, question on the MOOG K750091 sway bar links you used. They have parallel studs (mounting bolts facing the same direction), but the stock sway bar links have opposing studs. How did these sway bar links mount properly for you? I just installed the Traxda 2" lift and am finding the stock sway bar hits the lower control arm when the struts are fully extended. If the sway bar links were about 1" shorter the collision would be eliminated. I do hear the collision when the front wheels drop out after a bump but only because I know what the issues is and am listening for it. The MOOG K750091 are about 3" shorter which well compensates for the 2" Traxda lift.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts