Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size SD card does the entertainment center use? Also what video formats does the player support?

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav/OM08003U/pdf/03-7.pdf

p141 and 173: SD (FAT16), SDHC (FAT32), SDXC (exFAT)

p141: Video file format: MPEG-4 Video, H.264/AVC Video (*.mp4/*.m4v), MPEG-2 Video (*.mpg), Windows Media Video (*.wmv), AVI container (*.avi)

Detailed information about codec, profile, bit rate, resolution, etc. is on p 171-173.

I'm currently using a 64GB SDXC card. I'm basically using the "iPad" preset in Handbrake and lowering the resolution to 854x480. While the system supports HD formats, it's not worth encoding beyond SD. You can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello,

I just got a SDXC card and has loaded some movies in it plays fine but I do have a question.

Do I have the ability to browse my folders to select whatever file I want to play? I was able to select the movie folder after I select "SD" on the remote but then it just start playing a movie (it does not give me an option to select one on my list) I am not able to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Following up on the below question... Can you select different movies off of the same SD-Card? Can you change what file is playing while the vehicle is in motion?

Also, can you play a DVD and a video off of the SD-card at the same time or does the second input for the split screen need to come from the HDMI or Composite jacks?

Thanks in advance. We just ordered our 2015 Ltd. today but the internet and manuals are pretty sparse with information as to how the infotainment system works.

Hello,

I just got a SDXC card and has loaded some movies in it plays fine but I do have a question.

Do I have the ability to browse my folders to select whatever file I want to play? I was able to select the movie folder after I select "SD" on the remote but then it just start playing a movie (it does not give me an option to select one on my list) I am not able to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Sienna XLE AWD and I have just started using the SD card, I put a bunch of movies on a 64GB card for my son. As well as some music. I separated into Music and Movies folders, and I am also very disappointed to find that you cannot browse whats on the card. As soon as it starts up it just starts playing the first file it finds or where it left off I think. You can change this by using the remote and going to the next 'track' and it will skip to the next movie. You can use the folder up/down to go to the next folder and it will then start playing the music, but again, I wish it would just show a display of the folders and let the person read and pick what they want, kind of a big fail in the design of the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Sienna XLE AWD and I have just started using the SD card, I put a bunch of movies on a 64GB card for my son. As well as some music. I separated into Music and Movies folders, and I am also very disappointed to find that you cannot browse whats on the card. As soon as it starts up it just starts playing the first file it finds or where it left off I think. You can change this by using the remote and going to the next 'track' and it will skip to the next movie. You can use the folder up/down to go to the next folder and it will then start playing the music, but again, I wish it would just show a display of the folders and let the person read and pick what they want, kind of a big fail in the design of the system.
I'm in the same situation and am similarly disappointed in the lack of a "browse" feature. It seems like a glaring omission for the system not to the support this. From the manual is looks like it is possible to jump to a title/chapter number but only if playing "SD Video" vs "AVCHD videos that are stored in an SD card". Not sure what the difference is but each has it's own heading on page 171 with the former showing the search function and the latter not listing it. I'm going to play around with formats to see if I can get this to work but it shouldn't be this hard to get such a basic function!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I attempted to put 2 AVI. files into the micro sd card with adapter, plugged it into the Sd card reader in the 15' Sienna SE but nothing plays, nor is there any supported files. I thought it supports AVI files according to the manual? Is the SD card specific to the type of card I buy? I'm using a 32 gb micro sd w/ adapter if that helps. thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
J-chow: according to the manual, the SDHC memory card has to be in FAT 32 format to play media in 15 Sienna. By default the SDHC cards are in NTFS format.

Edit: Just to complete the above:
Memory cards are restricted to the following conditions based on SD standards.
• SD memory card (from 512MB to 2GB): FAT16 format
• SDHC memory card (from 4GB to 32GB): FAT32 format
• SDXC memory card (from 48GB to 256GB): exFAT format

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems like the lack of a browse function is the most glaring deficiency when utilizing the SD card slot. However, has anybody tried utilizing an external hard drive into the USB port? Does it even allow playing of both music and DVD files?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The USB port is specifically meant for playing audio. Plus, it can only take FAT 16/32 formatted USB devices. That means you can't go higher than 32 GB on the external USB device.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another consideration is that the more content on the USB memory, the longer it takes for the Head Unit to classify by title, artist and album. This occurs every time you restart the vehicle. During this period of time responses to other commands (touch and voice) seems to be increased.

I have a 32 GB flash drive in my Sienna with about 3000 items. It takes several minutes to process the music each time. The limit on any drive is 9,999 items. 32GB is too large for the music task.

...STeve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone know if a software update is plannd to fix the issue of lack of menu / browse support for the SD card? I just loaded 20 movies onto a card for my kids which is basically useles since they can't select what they want to watch. Its video roulette....

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having an issue. I downloaded movies from ITUNES and put it on my SDXC. It is a M4V file. I am able to play it on my computer but am unable to play it in my entertainment system in the 2016 Sienna SE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a2015 sienna with RES, saved itunes moves in a 64gb Sandisk SDXC card. Inserted the card in the SD slot in the card. Recognizes the card but I do not see any files. Suggestion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have a 2017 sienna, I downloaded movies in avi and my usb is in fat 32 but it cannot play, not supported type error. any suggestion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts