Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought a 2020 Sienna in August. One of my conditions was being able to transport 4’x8’ sheets of whatever plywood, drywall or whatever and was assured that I could. So after purchase I folded down the rear seats and removed the middle two, very easy btw, and to my surprise the raised track holding the middle seats is not removable and whatever is loaded will rest on it. I loaded ten sheets of 19/32 CDX plywood with no problems but I felt uncomfortable. Is there a load bearing weight limit or should I build a ramp to place over it for future loads?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
wrong van for what u are planning to utilize it for.

javvy

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
So we bought a 2020 Sienna in August. One of my conditions was being able to transport 4’x8’ sheets of whatever plywood, drywall or whatever and was assured that I could. So after purchase I folded down the rear seats and removed the middle two, very easy btw, and to my surprise the raised track holding the middle seats is not removable and whatever is loaded will rest on it. I loaded ten sheets of 19/32 CDX plywood with no problems but I felt uncomfortable. Is there a load bearing weight limit or should I build a ramp to place over it for future loads?
Maybe surround each seat trolley with a frame made from 2x4 and/or 1x4 lumber making the frame tall enough to take the load off the trollies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe surround each seat trolley with a frame made from 2x4 and/or 1x4 lumber making the frame tall enough to take the load off the trollies.
+1 This is exactly what I did to accommodate loading of boxes for my wife's business that can get a bit heavy. I used plywood to build the boxes that sit over the trollies so it is easy to remove and store in the garage when not needed. I have used them a couple of times to transport 4x8 sheets of plywood for projects but mainly I have a utility trailer to haul garden / construction stuff around that way I don't damage the interior of the van.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
mainly I have a utility trailer to haul garden / construction stuff around that way I don't damage the interior of the van.
And +1 that. The utility trailer I bought for about $300 in 1982 is still as good as new after 38 years. Best purchase ever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should be more concerned how you will learn to drive after being chopped in half from a hard stop or fender bender. Not to be a downer, but always consider there is just a little bit of cloth and foam and thin metal between you and a heavy, moveable load in the rear. I think this aspect was a bit of an oversight when Toyota decided to make these vans capable of holding sheets of plywood and drywall.

I have a 2002 Sienna with a plastic bin I usually have strapped down to the seat mounts. It only weighs around 50 lbs with some stuff in it. Forgot to strap it down the other day and had a driver pull in front of me, forcing me to hit the brakes. The bin slid forward and slammed the back of my seat REALLY hard. A stack of plywood would have easily killed me. No question. 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts