Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Sienna XLE+ FWD, 22 Tesla Model Y LR
75 Posts
I have an XLE Plus FWD. If inventory was not an issue I would have gotten a Platinum. My thinking is different from most on this forum. Since I keep my cars for a long time, like 15+ years typically, the extra cost for the bells and whistles doesn't amount to that much more. The XLE is probably the lowest optioned car I've ever had in my life, but at least with the Plus package it has the majority of features I want.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
vI have an XLE Plus FWD. If inventory was not an issue I would have gotten a Platinum. My thinking is different from most on this forum. Since I keep my cars for a long time, like 15+ years typically, the extra cost for the bells and whistles doesn't amount to that much more. The XLE is probably the lowest optioned car I've ever had in my life, but at least with the Plus package it has the majority of features I want.v
Oh, I don't know if in 2022 we can reasonably plan on keeping our vehicles for 15+ years, because it's definitely not going to be "business as usual" in the automotive world. In the next 5 years our 2021-2022 Sienna with its best-ICE-ever A25A FXS and Safety Sense 2.0 may be desperately obsolete in terms of road safety and propulsion.

We keep our vehicles for long time as well however view them as simply transportation from A to B.

Extra bells and whistles gets us there no sooner :)
I am not into bells and whistles either. However, I do love me some doodads, gadgets, doohickeys, and gizmos :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh, I don't know if in 2022 we can reasonably plan on keeping our vehicles for 15+ years, because it's definitely not going to be "business as usual" in the automotive world. In the next 5 years our 2021-2022 Sienna with its best-ICE-ever A25A FXS and Safety Sense 2.0 may be desperately obsolete in terms of road safety and propulsion.
Actually, I find within 2-3 years, any car you buy will have a nicer version of it for sale. But because I think it's a waste of money to constantly upgrade cars, I just keep my existing car. That's why I usually buy the top of the line trim. I've had past Acuras for 13 and 18 years respectively.

I think there's no issue with cars lasting 15 years, as long as they are maintained well. The hard part is resisting the urge to always acquire the new hotness.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, I find within 2-3 years, any car you buy will have a nicer version of it for sale. But because I think it's a waste of money to constantly upgrade cars, I just keep my existing car. That's why I usually buy the top of the line trim. I've had past Acuras for 13 and 18 years respectively.

I think there's no issue with cars lasting 15 years, as long as they are maintained well. The hard part is resisting the urge to always acquire the new hotness.
Some wise words

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

I agree with what you say, but we are talking about two unrelated things.

You are discussing self-control, delayed gratification, and judiciousness in buying decisions.

Whereas I am talking specifically about the potential obsolescence of the current means of propulsion and the safety suite of the 2021-2022 Sienna.

The plans are to phase out ICE-equipped vehicles (banning new sales and taxing the existing "offenders" out of mainstream) in the 2030's in much of East Asia, North America and Europe. A similar policy may apply, I suspect, to today's safety features, as they will likely fail to meet the hypothetical 2030's expectations.

Here is a pic from Wikipedia about phasing out the ICE vehicles. This of course may not happen, or it may happen even faster, given what's going on in the world.

World White Map Screenshot Atlas

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with what you say, but we are talking about two unrelated things.

You are discussing self-control, delayed gratification, and judiciousness in buying decisions.

Whereas I am talking specifically about the potential obsolescence of the current means of propulsion and the safety suite of the 2021-2022 Sienna.

The plans are to phase out ICE-equipped vehicles (banning new sales and taxing the existing "offenders" out of mainstream) in the 2030's in much of East Asia, North America and Europe. A similar policy may apply, I suspect, to today's safety features, as they will likely fail to meet the hypothetical 2030's expectations.

Here is a pic from Wikipedia about phasing out the ICE vehicles. This of course may not happen, or it may happen even faster, given what's going on in the world.

View attachment 58580
I live in CA which is trying to ban new ICE car sales after 2035. However, it doesn't mean existing ICE cars simply disappear overnight. I personally give these things zero consideration when buying a new car. That being said, good chance by 2035 I will have upgraded from the existing Sienna because as I'm older now and more financially secure, conserving money is less of a concern.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts