Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Push-button/keyless start, car locks/unlocks just by touching the handle (if the key fob is in your pocket).
Thanks, but I don't think that I follow. According to toyota,
LE = "Remote keyless entry system with lock, unlock, panic, and Push Button Start"
XLE = "Smart Key System on five doors with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry"

Sure, there are more doors that work with XLE and above. But what exactly is the difference between "remote keyless entry system" and "smart key system"? I don't doubt that there are differences, I just don't understand exactly what they are.

· Registered
170 Posts
Remote Keyless Entry means that you need to physically hit the button on your keyfob to get the car open. Smart key means you can just leave it in your pocket and walk up to the door handle and it'll unlock when you put your hand in it.
Ah, now I understand, thanks.

Interesting to me that our bare bones 08 toyota prius with zero options came stock with smart keys.

But, with the sienna, you gotta get an XLE to get that?? Wow, kind of surprising.

· Registered
170 Posts
The G2 Prius was well ahead of its time in many respects and SKS was just one of the smaller "cool things" just like the rear view camera that came standard in all models. Back then, only lux/premium lines had both of those. It was said that the G2 didn't make money till the G3 which dropped both of those features and others in the base model. De-contenting and moving features up the model line is, unfortunately for the consumer, SOP across manufacturers to this day.
Sure, that makes sense from the perspective of the car company. But, l am puzzled, in this same decontenting approach, why in the world does toyota put power sliding side doors on the sienna LE when they could use cheaper manual sliding doors instead?

· Registered
170 Posts
It's all a tradeoff of trying to make the most money by putting various levels of features at various price points. I think more people expect, and prefer, power sliding doors than they do the ability to unlock doors just by walking up and putting your hand on the door handle.
Perhaps you're right.

I am curious, with non-smart fob on the Sienna LE, when you get in the car, where/how must the fob be placed to start the car?

· Registered
170 Posts
So the non-smart fob and an actual smart key behave essentially the same inside the cabin? So the main feature of a smart key is the ability to unlock the car from the outside without having to push buttons on the fob? Is that generally correct?

· Registered
170 Posts
No, the SKS has push button start so a metal key is never used. One never has to physically touch or manipulate the FOB to enter a locked vehicle and/or start it so the FOB can stay in the pocket, purse, etc. Truly hands free. Once you've used/had SKS, going back to the "old way" is not easy. If one has two vehicles with and without, the differences really stand out. Most SKS still have a hidden metal key in the FOB to unlock the doors in case the 12v is dead.
Thanks, l have an SKS on our old 08 prius, so l am familiar with the toyota SKS system. I more want to understand the non smart key system. So in the Sienna LE (so non SKS), to open the car, you gotta pull out the fob and press the unlock button on it, correct?

Then, once you are in van, how is the car started with a non SKS ? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts