Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting a "Maintenence Required" notice when I start the van. Had the Oil changed a little over 1k ago and the service ODO still shows 8k+

Any ideas why I would be getting this message? Also, does anyone know if the van will tell us if you get a fault code, or do you still need to plug in an OBD scanner for that?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
372 Posts
I keep getting a "Maintenence Required" notice when I start the van. Had the Oil changed a little over 1k ago and the service ODO still shows 8k+

Any ideas why I would be getting this message? Also, does anyone know if the van will tell us if you get a fault code, or do you still need to plug in an OBD scanner for that?

Thanks in advance!
There are two maintenance counters in the vehicle: one that counts down 10K for oil changes and the other that counts 5K for the tire rotation/inspections service interval. The second interval counter does not show up like the oil change one does in the odometer position. Dealer staff seem to be confused by the two counters. To reset properly, they have to reset just the 5K at the 5K service and both at the 10K service. They may not have reset the 5k counter at your oil change service. You can reset either service counter through the settings menu on the MID.

Regarding fault codes - I do not believe the van will show you the actual fault codes if one is recorded. Some faults may be associated with messages and the message will display. In any case, the "check engine" light will come on indicating a fault code has been stored.

·
Registered
794 Posts
As I see these other responses, I realize my own recommendation is almost certainly wrong. It looks to me like you just need to do the oil change maintenance reset on the MID that whomever did your oil change forgot to do the first time.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
372 Posts
In addition to what @wscan said, here is how to reset the maintenance counter in a hot second:

2021 Toyota Sienna - Oil Maintenance Light Reset - YouTube
The video demonstrates resetting the 5K maintenance (Scheduled Maintenance) message. This is what I suspect is the OP issue. Note that the video title is misleading as it does not reset the Oil Maintenance (10K interval) indication. You can see in the video where you can reset the Oil Maintenance indicator, but this was very recently done based on the 9968 miles to maintenance as shown on the odometer in the video.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
As I see these other responses, I realize my own recommendation is almost certainly wrong. It looks to me like you just need to do the oil change maintenance reset on the MID that whomever did your oil change forgot to do the first time.
The message "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED - SEE DEALERSHIP" is semantically vague, kind of like "dry wall" or "cell phone": if you don't know what the whole phrase means, good luck trying to decipher it.

Should be saying something like "PERIODIC MAINTENANCE DUE SOON - SCHEDULE VISIT TO DEALERSHIP", this way it's clear what needs to be done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Brought it to the dealership and they confirmed it was just the maintenance counter they neglected to reset when they did the 10k service.

Also, I was anxious to bring it in because I had received a MIL and a slew of warnings on Friday. As discussed in the thread below, the Sienna is unsuitable for drive-in movies. That is to say, if you go, bring a portable radio because the van will turn itself off every so often to protect the 12v battery. After a few shut-down/reboots, it was sufficiently drained that it threw several alarming warnings including one about the parking brake being unavailable as well as preventing me from finding out the details of how Gozer was brought back. I was unable to start the car for a few minutes, but I turned everything off and let it sit for a few minutes before successfully turning the van back on (to "Ready") which kicked on the ICE periodically for the rest of the movie. The MIL light came on along with the alert:
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

TL;DR: Running down the 12v battery results in vague and alarming errors. Also, make sure the dealership resets the maintenance ODOs (there are in fact more than one) when you get your van serviced. And I need to re-watch Ghostbusters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts