Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Sienna when I move back to the States and am drawing out the plans.

I wanted to know if you can convert all the doors to manual doors ie remove all motors and they still work + manual windows. I plan on gutting the whole thing.
I am not super car savvy so I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Each Sienna that has automated doors (open/close the door by a button) has an override switch on the dash. By pressing that switch you can switch to manual mode.

Not sure what you mean by converting to manual windows. If you remove the window motor, there is no window crank to lower/raise the windows (no way to convert to manual windows).

If you explain more about what your goal/objective is (why do you want to convert to manual), there might be members that have alternate ideas on how to accomplish based on their experiences.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, you can push the switch to turn off the power doors, but (as I understand it) they will still be harder to open and close than true manual doors. For that, you would need to cut and remove the door cables, which is totally doable, but a PITA to reverse and get power doors back at a later date.

What’s the goal here? I would run them power until the cable or motor goes out, then convert to true manual doors.

-Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the response.
I wanted to see if I could hook up one of those manual window crank kits And if the sliding doors would work with motors.

I am gutting the van to reduce weight and will be using it for rough work, just stripping anything excess out.
I would like to make a off roading minivan. Peoples also laugh at it but for my needs I believe it will be a good platform.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No need to justify, your not the only one that perfers robust over fragile.
My point is to use it until it breaks, then go simple. No reason to spend the time to tear something apart and try and fit some universal kit or something if everything works. I would guess it’s easier and possibly cheaper to replace a broken window motor than try and retrofit manual windows. Or, if you never use the windows, you’ll never know one of the motors is out!

If ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

-Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't speak to the side doors but removing motors shouldn't be an issue, though not sure I'd want to take off the side doors to do it.
The rear door isn't very hard to remove the motor and it works just fine without. I'd suggest you take out all the interior panels and the rear AC and heater core if your really trying to strip it down. The rug would probably be more weight than the motors...
You're not going to lose much weight taking all the stuff out. The seats are by far the most weight. Speakers, motors, are minimal. Pull the rug and head liner if you want but again, they aren't that heavy. Get some spring booster bags if you want more weigh carrying capacity.

Here is the kit you need to rip out the rear AC. The heater piping can just be jumped with the rubber hose that's in use to take it back towards the front. This is the rear without the heater motor AC... '04 Sienna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts