Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So It had to happen eventually. A glitch on my rear hatch made it stop in the middle while closing... not fully opened not fully closed...... just in the middle.
The hatch button refused to respond, neither the keyfob, kick sensor or button in the overhead console responded......
hatch was basically dead.
I remembered from my gen 3 that I could actually turn off the power doors by pressing the button on the left side of the steering wheel.
No luck
Turned off/on and no luck. Just a warning on the MID telling me that the hatch was open.
Pulled out the instruction manual and it basically lets you know how to manually open the hatch from the inside by removing the interior trim and pulling a lever of some sort.
I finally decided to "force" the hatch down until it closed. After that everything went back to normal, and now works as intended.
This begs the question:
How do I manually operate my hatch without making the struts sing a horrible torture song? Man, I thought I was going to break those bastards!
Anyone else has had a similar experience?

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
555 Posts
You shut off the rear hatch power via the settings menu on the main vehicle screen, not by a physical button. After you do, the hatch can be operated manually. See section 2-1 of your owner's manual.

I think removing the panel is in case the power latch fails, and the door needs to be opened, but not for manual operation.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shut off the rear hatch power via the settings menu on the main vehicle screen, not by a physical button. After you do, the hatch can be operated manually. See section 2-1 of your owner's manual.

I think removing the panel is in case the power latch fails, and the door needs to be opened, but not for manual operation.
Yes im aware of that setting, I turned off the setting via the MID but it still feels like forcing the motors.
In my gen 3 the same happened but when I turned off the doors using the switch the doors literally converted to manual doors. Easy to open and close.
In my gen 4 the same thing happens with the side doors, but the rear hatch feels unnatural... a stupid amount of force has to be applied to the hatch in order to manually open it or close it.
is this the way it was intended for use in case you did not want to use the automatic hatch?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't experienced a powered liftgate that doesn't behave like this. If the electric motors were somehow "released", what would hold up the liftgate in the open position?
The Gen 3 had the normal struts and the motor. Disabling the power button actually released the motor. The only resistance was from the lifts.
My dad's infinity QX50 has the same style of "electric struts" the gen4 sienna has, but if the power liftgate is disabled then it operates as a normal liftgate. I thought the sienna was going to behave similarly

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We have manual hatch and easy enough to close but not as easy as front doors.

Do have to put a little bit of force and when fully open it almost wants to stay open for first few inches when try to close.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have manual hatch and easy enough to close but not as easy as front doors.

Do have to put a little bit of force and when fully open it almost wants to stay open for first few inches when try to close.
After seeing what the weather strip sensor costs (upwards of 400 bucks) and how smart technology can behave dumb in the blink of an eye, I kinda miss my gen 3 hatch.....

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
375 Posts
If you need to close the hatch manually try to use both hands on the outside of the hatch far apart, with even force, and not one hand in the middle or side. The hatches on many new Toyota's these days are very flimsy. Pushing on one side only can cause alignment issues and possibly warp it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you need to close the hatch manually try to use both hands on the outside of the hatch far apart, with even force, and not one hand in the middle or side. The hatches on many new Toyota's these days are very flimsy. Pushing on one side only can cause alignment issues and possibly warp it.
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense

1 - 9 of 9 Posts