Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this hard to believe but while searching for a 2018 - 2020 Sienna SE I ran across my select color 2018 with only 8,400 miles and the entertainment unit...it’s not at a Toyota dealer so I call for information. Turns out it’s a used car dealer (highly reviewed online for what it’s worth) that specializes in manufacturer buybacks...i.e. lemon law vehicles. Offers to send me the Carfax as I’m trying to get off the phone and informs me that it was bought back in California for unresolved stalling issues...hum..,but assured me it’s been corrected. Seriously, if it was corrected, wouldn’t it have been given back to the previous owner...who owned it for only 10 months and you can see took it in for service multiple times. If you had a manufacturer buyback in California, rest assure it’s for sale in Georgia. I had no idea that was possible and I’m not touching it. 😁

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd be very suspicious of vehicles like this. I've watched a few YouTube videos of "car guys" who've bought "former" lemon law vehicles. Sometimes you get lucky and the issue really was fixed. Other times, the issue is still there. The worst seem to be "electrical gremlins" that is an intermittent problem. So I'd stay away from a vehicle that had "unresolved stalling issues". In a modern vehicle, that sort of problem is the worst to diagnose and solve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be very suspicious of vehicles like this. I've watched a few YouTube videos of "car guys" who've bought "former" lemon law vehicles. Sometimes you get lucky and the issue really was fixed. Other times, the issue is still there. The worst seem to be "electrical gremlins" that is an intermittent problem. So I'd stay away from a vehicle that had "unresolved stalling issues". In a modern vehicle, that sort of problem is the worst to diagnose and solve.
I completely agree and was uninterested as soon as he said “manufacturer buyback”...the carfax showed all the maintenance dates and when and where the buyback occurred and the car was auctioned but did not state the reason. I looked at it out of curiosity. He might not have said stalling...I was trying to get off the phone too fast but do specifically remember him saying the car had been rapidly going through oil. Anyhow, I’m not a risk taker so definitely not my cup of tea! A lemon is my ultimate worse nightmare.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You did the right thing to steer away. I know of several stories about this type of thing going on.

One big thing here in Canada and maybe other places also. That is vehicles being flooded with water and written off. They get rebranded and are being sold in Canada WITHOUT the rebranded name on the ownership.

Example. Vehicle was in a flood in the USA. Vehicle gets dried out. Sold to Quebec, Canada. Ownership is transfered. Then sold to a place in Ontario. You have no idea it was salvaged unit. All you know it is a American vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts