Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i have just over 38k miles. I am about to go to Colorado in March and my OEM Goodyears are running a bit worn. With rebate ($70 for 4 tires), i decided to upgrade the tires now.

My criteria are: good in rain (and light snow), low road noise, and decent longevity. Cost is not an issue. For two days, I read up on every tires from major brands. Some has low noise levels, but bad in rain (Pirelli). Some good in rain and snow, but high noise levels (Continentals). Some of Michelins car tires had issues with noise at low speeds. I could not find what i wanted. So, i also looked at SUV tires since our minivans are pretty heavy and most of these tires come in my stock size (235/55/18).

That was when i came across Premier LTX. The reviews were pretty good and TireRack did a test on them and was similarly impress by them. This tire satisfied my 3 criteria. Longevity is not great but decent. Cost at Discount Tire was $207/tire with $70 rebate.

I can confirm that it is very quiet on the highway, better than stock Goodyears (even when new). Just as good riding as stock. The turning in seems easier for some reason.

This is still honeymoon phase...so, i will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Limited with 18" wheels as well and am considering the LTX and the Defenders. Have you done any research on how the Michelin Defenders compare?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Limited with 18" wheels as well and am considering the LTX and the Defenders. Have you done any research on how the Michelin Defenders compare?
Yes. Defender is heavier tire. LTX Premier weighs same as stock Goodyear. Defender lasts longer but maybe noisier based on reviews.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I got some Premier LTX installed on my '14 Sienna a few months ago and have been happy with them as well. It rains here a lot in winter and it has been solid. Took it up to the mountains and drove on snow a bit and it did okay for all season tires. Haven't noticed much improvement in road noise though on surface streets or the highway though, compared with the OEM Dunlap RFTs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had Michelin on our BMW X5 but we went with Pirelli when we needed new tires, but for the soccer mom minivan when we needed new tires. We went with the General. Not the General that sells insurance on late night TV, but the General Altimax RT43. We had them for 6 months now and they are everything that other reviewers at Tirerack.com stated that they would be.

First, the thing you will notice is that they are QUIET. Haven't been a very snowy winter here in the Midwest (well at least in my part of the Midwest) but the little amount of snow that we did get, the General had no trouble negotiating the snow-covered roads. Got them for $90 per wheel installed including lifetime rotation and lifetime balancing. I could have ordered them from Tirerack and used one of their local installers, but I found them at Walmart. Order them online. Picked them up at my local Superstore Walmart across the Illinois border in Indiana (sale tax is a lot cheaper in Indiana) and had them installed at Wally Mart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, i have just over 38k miles. I am about to go to Colorado in March and my OEM Goodyears are running a bit worn. With rebate ($70 for 4 tires), i decided to upgrade the tires now.

My criteria are: good in rain (and light snow), low road noise, and decent longevity. Cost is not an issue. For two days, I read up on every tires from major brands. Some has low noise levels, but bad in rain (Pirelli). Some good in rain and snow, but high noise levels (Continentals). Some of Michelins car tires had issues with noise at low speeds. I could not find what i wanted. So, i also looked at SUV tires since our minivans are pretty heavy and most of these tires come in my stock size (235/55/18).

That was when i came across Premier LTX. The reviews were pretty good and TireRack did a test on them and was similarly impress by them. This tire satisfied my 3 criteria. Longevity is not great but decent. Cost at Discount Tire was $207/tire with $70 rebate.

I can confirm that it is very quiet on the highway, better than stock Goodyears (even when new). Just as good riding as stock. The turning in seems easier for some reason.

This is still honeymoon phase...so, i will keep you guys updated.
I got some Premier LTX installed on my '14 Sienna a few months ago and have been happy with them as well. It rains here a lot in winter and it has been solid. Took it up to the mountains and drove on snow a bit and it did okay for all season tires. Haven't noticed much improvement in road noise though on surface streets or the highway though, compared with the OEM Dunlap RFTs.
[FONT=&quot]I definitely recommend Primacy. High performance and great on wets roads. It’s Michelin’s best tire. Have a look at all of the options and you will see. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://topautotools.com/tag/michelin-tire-reviews/[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Had Primacy on my old Sienna...did not see much noise reduction...maybe even a bit noisier than OEM. And if you read some of the reviews, it is true.
I put LTX's on my 13' Sienna after the Primacy's barely lasted a few thousand miles after I bought the van and the dealer wouldn't replace them. I've had them on for a year, and am very happy with the wear and grip. They were a pound or so heavier than the Primacy's, and I get maybe 1 or 2 MPG less than I did before, but that's barely noticeable.

I will be putting them on again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After 2 months of ownership and recent trip to Colorado, these tires are great! Never slipped once. Relatively quiet. Rides great. Mileage maybe 1 mpg worst than OEM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Switched out the stock RFT 18s on my AWD Limited for Premier LTXs about a year ago. They are quiet, handle well, and do well in dry/wet/snow conditions in CA. I’ve been using the high end Michelin SUV tires since 2000 (Cross Terrain, Latitude Tour, Premier LTX) and have never had a reason to change. Got 70k out of the last set on an RX350, so it will be interesting to see how fast a Sienna chews them up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I definitely recommend Primacy. High performance and great on wets roads. It’s Michelin’s best tire. Have a look at all of the options and you will see. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://topautotools.com/tag/michelin-tire-reviews/[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

The original Primacy tires or SE has are fine cruising and wet road tires but mediocre at best in winter. Of course different sizes, but Defenders on our last Sienna were better winter tires jut otherwise predictable long life passenger tires.

Crowd sourced reviews of Premier LTX give me the impression they might better than Primacy in winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We are at decision time. With the SE we have different choices.

It’s interesting to have dealers say Premier LTX do not last long when our OEM Primacy’s are worn out at 27,000 miles.

The Primacy tires were so mediocre at best in bad winter conditions that Premier LTX still looks good.

Part of the decision time is COSTCO’s sale ends tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 2 months of ownership and recent trip to Colorado, these tires are great! Never slipped once. Relatively quiet. Rides great. Mileage maybe 1 mpg worst than OEM.
I’m also leaning towards the Premier LTX based on all I’ve read. Any long term update?

Thanks!
Joe

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
We have Premier A/S tires on both our Sienna and Outback. At the time of my 'research' the A/S seemed to get better overall ratings than the LTX, so we went that way. Great tires for 3 season, OK'ish in the snow. We run dedicated winter tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts