Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
My 2022 Sienna is almost to 500 miles..
Maintenance schedule is for 5k miles at dealer..
I've seen some people did the oil change at 500 miles interval to remove the contaminants and metal shaving..
Is it a necessary or we just do oil change at 5k miles???
What do you guys think?
Oil is cheap at Walmart nowadays.. 5 quarts of 0w-16 Mobil 1 and oil filter are less than $30..
I think it's peace of mind to do it.. but it could be overkill..
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Your money so if get peace of mind then yes.

We personally just follow service guidelines.

If get done ask to see old oil if can... curious whether find anything.

You could also send a sample to get tested.

There are some school of thoughts that first oil has some extra ingredients so should leave for 5k miles... not sure if Toyota does this or a Honda thing??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool..
I can justify waiting for the 5k miles..
I also notice the factory fill oil all the way over the high mark..this is the reason why they want 10k miles oil change..
I'll schedule the maintenance at 5k and do oil change as well.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
There must be at least half a dozen threads discussing this subject on this forum. I hope the moderators can merge them all into the grand pool of collective knowledge on the subject :geek:

I personally don't think replacing the oil early (= earlier than the manufacturer recommends) is necessary, and at the first oil change it could even be counterproductive. BTW, the metal shavings should be picked up by the oil filter, and I what are some of the contaminants that need to be removed at 500 miles?

The industry consensus seems to be that the manufacturer's guidelines are safe to follow:

• If Toyota thought an early oil change after the break in period was beneficial for all vehicles, they would have mentioned it at least tangentially.
  • I drove leased (not Toyota) company vehicles in 2008-2014, clocking approx. 90K miles on each of them. Despite repetitive nagging by the dealership to do oil changes more frequently, the lessor (= the owner of the vehicle!) only approved the regular intervals.
  • When I bought extended warranty for Sparkollz, Toyota didn't say "Now that we are responsible for your engine till 125K miles, we better watch out .... let us change the oil at 5K miles".
There are some school of thoughts that first oil has some extra ingredients so should leave for 5k miles... not sure if Toyota does this or a Honda thing??
I don't know about Toyota specifically, but when I worked with another manufacturer, I learned that the engines before going to the vehicle assembly line are treated with a high concentrations of corrosion inhibitors. Besides, the factory-filled oil may blended with extra corrosion inhibitors as well (just my speculation, though). All in all, what you dump at the first oil change will likely contain more corrosion inhibitors - and possibly other useful additives - than the new oil you put in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There must be at least half a dozen threads discussing this subject on this forum. I hope the moderators can merge them all into the grand pool of collective knowledge on the subject :geek:

I personally don't think replacing the oil early (= earlier than the manufacturer recommends) is necessary, and at the first oil change it could even be counterproductive. BTW, the metal shavings should be picked up by the oil filter, and I what are some of the contaminants that need to be removed at 500 miles?

The industry consensus seems to be that the manufacturer's guidelines are safe to follow:

• If Toyota thought an early oil change after the break in period was beneficial for all vehicles, they would have mentioned it at least tangentially.
  • I drove leased (not Toyota) company vehicles in 2008-2014, clocking approx. 90K miles on each of them. Despite repetitive nagging by the dealership to do oil changes more frequently, the lessor (= the owner of the vehicle!) only approved the regular intervals.
  • When I bought extended warranty for Sparkollz, Toyota didn't say "Now that we are responsible for your engine till 125K miles, we better watch out .... let us change the oil at 5K miles".

I don't know about Toyota specifically, but when I worked with another manufacturer, I learned that the engines before going to the vehicle assembly line are treated with a high concentrations of corrosion inhibitors. Besides, the factory-filled oil may blended with extra corrosion inhibitors as well (just my speculation, though). All in all, what you dump at the first oil change will likely contain more corrosion inhibitors - and possibly other useful additives - than the new oil you put in.
Interesting information..
I'll read more into it ...
Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The industry consensus
Depends upon the industry. From personal experience, motorcycle manufacturers have been mandating 600-1000 mile break in oil changes (along with other procedures) at least since the 1960's.

Here's an experiment between break in methods of A) treating it gently and B) beating on it like a rented mule: Busting The Engine Break-In Myth

TLDR: "After breaking the engines in using drastically different methods, we performed compression and leak-down tests—which is a standard way of checking top-end health—then disassembled, measured, and inspected the internal parts. And the results, well, they might surprise you.

Drumroll, anyone?

The truth is, there was no significant difference between the two engines."

FWIW

My suggestion: unless you know you're going to keep it long term (at least 10 years), don't bother with the additional trouble and expense. But if if makes you feel better, do it! Also, if it's recorded, it may help with resale value with some buyers.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Depends upon the industry. From personal experience, motorcycle manufacturers have been mandating 600-1000 mile break in oil changes (along with other procedures) at least since the 1960's.

Here's an experiment between break in methods of A) treating it gently and B) beating on it like a rented mule: Busting The Engine Break-In Myth

TLDR: "After breaking the engines in using drastically different methods, we performed compression and leak-down tests—which is a standard way of checking top-end health—then disassembled, measured, and inspected the internal parts. And the results, well, they might surprise you.

Drumroll, anyone?

The truth is, there was no significant difference between the two engines."

FWIW

My suggestion: unless you know you're going to keep it long term (at least 10 years), don't bother with the additional trouble and expense. But if if makes you feel better, do it! Also, if it's recorded, it may help with resale value with some buyers.
The industry that makes the Sienna, not the "industry" in the overarching poetical sense of the word.

Otherwise, if we start to look at other industries that manufacture or use ICE engines, it's a slippery slope .... some people may not stop at motorcycles with their 600-1000 mile oil change and may drift all the way to stationary generators with their 0 miles/oil change and 2-stroke engines with their infinitemiles/oil change :).

A good point about extra resale value, although God and Musk only know what the resale value of a non-flying, non-self-driving, gasoline-burning vehicle is going to be in 2032. Perhaps a few million dollars, to the Smithsonian?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends....Does the Toyota factory put zinc additives in the oil to assist in break in? If so you might actually be causing more wear by flushing the factory oil out.

I think when you rebuild vintage engines it is supposedly necessary to use zinc additives during break in to reduce wear. I also read somewhere on these forums that some car manufacturers add anti-wear additives at the factory.

I've been doing 10,000 mile oil changes on the 2012 Prius since new. It is at 140000 miles and running strong. I beat the crap out of that thing.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD Hybrid; '04 Sienna LE FWD; '08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6; '07 Camry LE 4 Cyl.
50 Posts
We did our oil change at 1000 miles on our 2021 Sienna LE.
Same thing we did with our 2004 Sienna LE 17 years earlier and it's still running fine. That was based by a recommendation of our dealer's chief shop mechanic. His words were:
"Oil is cheap; motors aren't. Flush out the loose metal with an early oil change, and then follow the maintenance guide for service like the 10 commandments and it will take care of you for years to come".

And that van is still with us going into our 19th year in April with 297,750 miles so far.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
217 Posts
Someone at OdyClub recently performed an early oil change and sent it for analysis which IIRC was pretty boring. No extra metal particles or high concentrations. Perhaps someone want to try to reproduce those results?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Someone at OdyClub recently performed an early oil change and sent it for analysis which IIRC was pretty boring. No extra metal particles or high concentrations. Perhaps someone want to try to reproduce those results?
Agreed. Best to do oil analysis.

Have anecdotal stories of where first oil change done early and decade later the vehicle runs great or no oil change done for years and vehicle runs great.

Need some science and imho it would support to follow manufacturer guidelines. Like everything in life there will be outliers.

Do what comforts you.

·
Registered
Old Sienna
752 Posts
Here's a 25¢ question. Friends $300 car with >300,000 miles. Uses & loses a qt of oil every thousand for many years. He changes the syn. oil & filter every 5000 miles and filters the drain oil. The filtered drain oil is used whenever the engine needs a qt. When the drain oil is all used up he changes the oil and filter. In one point of view the oil is changed every 5000 miles. In another point of view the oil is never changed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts