Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Depends....Does the Toyota factory put zinc additives in the oil to assist in break in? If so you might actually be causing more wear by flushing the factory oil out.

I think when you rebuild vintage engines it is supposedly necessary to use zinc additives during break in to reduce wear. I also read somewhere on these forums that some car manufacturers add anti-wear additives at the factory.

I've been doing 10,000 mile oil changes on the 2012 Prius since new. It is at 140000 miles and running strong. I beat the crap out of that thing.

· Registered
422 Posts
Also, learned from the car care nut, the only place to get Original OEM parts is from a dealership.... Want to skimp on oil? ok, but dont skimp on oil filters.... go to a dealership and buy your own oil filter and take it to a shop and bring your filter.
I always buy parts from Mcgeorge Toyota online if I can. It's usually cheaper.

· Registered
422 Posts
I definitely don't believe in anything that says lifelong fluids. That is proof that the manufacturers don't always know what they are doing....and I've worked with enough engineers to know that they are typically very arrogant and don't like to listen to techs. Lol.

· Registered
422 Posts
Anyone familiar with the 2010 Prius oil consumption issue? I know a guy that had this problem and needed a new engine. He said he stuck to the recommended oil change interval.

Toyota eventually changed the design but I'm starting to wonder if the traditional 3000-5000 mile oil change interval would have prevented this issue. Perhaps the old man was right. My Prius C is doing fine at 140,000 miles with no extra maintenance... But who knows, maybe at 180,000 the piston rings will go instead of 250,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts