Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
My 2022 Sienna is almost to 500 miles..
Maintenance schedule is for 5k miles at dealer..
I've seen some people did the oil change at 500 miles interval to remove the contaminants and metal shaving..
Is it a necessary or we just do oil change at 5k miles???
What do you guys think?
Oil is cheap at Walmart nowadays.. 5 quarts of 0w-16 Mobil 1 and oil filter are less than $30..
I think it's peace of mind to do it.. but it could be overkill..
what do you guys think?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool..
I can justify waiting for the 5k miles..
I also notice the factory fill oil all the way over the high mark..this is the reason why they want 10k miles oil change..
I'll schedule the maintenance at 5k and do oil change as well.
Thanks guys.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There must be at least half a dozen threads discussing this subject on this forum. I hope the moderators can merge them all into the grand pool of collective knowledge on the subject :geek:

I personally don't think replacing the oil early (= earlier than the manufacturer recommends) is necessary, and at the first oil change it could even be counterproductive. BTW, the metal shavings should be picked up by the oil filter, and I what are some of the contaminants that need to be removed at 500 miles?

The industry consensus seems to be that the manufacturer's guidelines are safe to follow:

• If Toyota thought an early oil change after the break in period was beneficial for all vehicles, they would have mentioned it at least tangentially.
  • I drove leased (not Toyota) company vehicles in 2008-2014, clocking approx. 90K miles on each of them. Despite repetitive nagging by the dealership to do oil changes more frequently, the lessor (= the owner of the vehicle!) only approved the regular intervals.
  • When I bought extended warranty for Sparkollz, Toyota didn't say "Now that we are responsible for your engine till 125K miles, we better watch out .... let us change the oil at 5K miles".

I don't know about Toyota specifically, but when I worked with another manufacturer, I learned that the engines before going to the vehicle assembly line are treated with a high concentrations of corrosion inhibitors. Besides, the factory-filled oil may blended with extra corrosion inhibitors as well (just my speculation, though). All in all, what you dump at the first oil change will likely contain more corrosion inhibitors - and possibly other useful additives - than the new oil you put in.
Interesting information..
I'll read more into it ...
Thanks.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I think we can wrap this topic up…
It will be personal reference whether to change the oil early or wait until Toyota recommended interval..
If you’re a car care enthusiast, change oil at 5k miles so you have something to do..😁😁😁😁 Otherwise, drop it off at 10k miles and let the dealer takes care of it….👍

Reactions: Dimitrij

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Folks,
Today my Sienna reaches 1k miles.I decided to do the oil change anyway and I’m glad I did.
After draining the oil, I can see a lot of silver shavings in the oil..
Liquid Sky Sunlight Cloud Atmospheric phenomenon

I think the $30 oil change is totally worth it in my opinion.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My oil filter was tight too but i used the 3 prong filter remover and it worked for me.
Did you see any debris when draining the old oil?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I had a 150 miles road trip and to my surprise the responses from the Van is more noticeable..
I use Mobil 1 0w-16 with 10k mile supertech oil filter.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I will follow the 5000 miles oil change interval instead of 10k miles.
Oil is cheap and i will have peace of mind..
10k miles is a little long,.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts