Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are questing oil changes go watch The Car Care Nut on YouTube. He has a lot of good information. What dose it hurt to change your oil a little more often if it mean it could extend the life of your investment. BUT, make sure you go to a shop that is really changing your oil, I have had them just try and change the filter and said that was good. Make them do a full oil change.
Also, learned from the car care nut, the only place to get Original OEM parts is from a dealership.... Want to skimp on oil? ok, but dont skimp on oil filters.... go to a dealership and buy your own oil filter and take it to a shop and bring your filter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Also, learned from the car care nut, the only place to get Original OEM parts is from a dealership.... Want to skimp on oil? ok, but dont skimp on oil filters.... go to a dealership and buy your own oil filter and take it to a shop and bring your filter.
For oil filters, I'd rather buy a high quality aftermarket (lots of options, and lots of reviews with actual analysis where filters are cut open so don't just fall for marketing BS). And yeah, getting OEM parts from random places is just asking for trouble, too high a risk for knock-offs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always buy parts from Mcgeorge Toyota online if I can. It's usually cheaper.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
All forum boards always have the oil change thread(s).

Seems like there is as many people saying early change resulted in longer running vehicles as there people saying on time oil changes resulted in longer running vehicles.

Just pick what is most comfortable for you; i.e. peace of mind. The dollars for quicker change not overly onerous but does add up... can diy in between to save.

Would need data points from good amount of oil analysis perhaps to change my mind.

Personally we just follow schedule.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I definitely don't believe in anything that says lifelong fluids. That is proof that the manufacturers don't always know what they are doing....and I've worked with enough engineers to know that they are typically very arrogant and don't like to listen to techs. Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
All forum boards always have the oil change thread(s).

Seems like there is as many people saying early change resulted in longer running vehicles as there people saying on time oil changes resulted in longer running vehicles.

Just pick what is most comfortable for you; i.e. peace of mind. The dollars for quicker change not overly onerous but does add up... can diy in between to save.

Would need data points from good amount of oil analysis perhaps to change my mind.

Personally we just follow schedule.
Yeah, all forums - other than BEVs ones :). Their favorite dead horse to flog is the "Should I stop charging the battery at 80% or 90%" SoC, because usable capacity is a construct".

What keeps boggling my mind is why no-one ever wants to talk about the pros and cons of changing any other disposables more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. No idea why.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first oil change at 8000 km 5000 miles. The oil drained out of it looked identical to the new oil going in. The challenge was remov the original oil filter. Time required was 1.5 hours tools used first oil filter wrench. It kept spinning on the filter. It was the right size. Next oil filter pliers tight grip no filter movement. Eventually crushed filter casing. Third was screw driver through cartridge filter had to do 4 times to get 360 turn to loosen before I could remove by hand. The 16000 km 10000 mile will be done at dealer. Used Mobil-1 0W16 0il.
Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Machine Font

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim Art

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Font Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Font Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Machine tool

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone familiar with the 2010 Prius oil consumption issue? I know a guy that had this problem and needed a new engine. He said he stuck to the recommended oil change interval.

Toyota eventually changed the design but I'm starting to wonder if the traditional 3000-5000 mile oil change interval would have prevented this issue. Perhaps the old man was right. My Prius C is doing fine at 140,000 miles with no extra maintenance... But who knows, maybe at 180,000 the piston rings will go instead of 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Anyone familiar with the 2010 Prius oil consumption issue? I know a guy that had this problem and needed a new engine. He said he stuck to the recommended oil change interval.

Toyota eventually changed the design but I'm starting to wonder if the traditional 3000-5000 mile oil change interval would have prevented this issue. Perhaps the old man was right. My Prius C is doing fine at 140,000 miles with no extra maintenance... But who knows, maybe at 180,000 the piston rings will go instead of 250,000 miles.
Car Care Nut on YouTube is adamant that oil changes every 5000 mi/6 months would avoid the oil burning issue on Toyota engines.

·
Registered
243 Posts

If you have metal shavings left over in your engine after manufacturing, you just might have a problem
have you ever cut open a first run filter? stuff has to clearance itself when you are wearing in. There is metal in the filter for every new engine. its expected, normal. the filter should catch it. if it doesn't, your engine will fail because it will lubricate the bearings with metal instead of oil.

If you do your oil change - do this. Attach a poweful magnet just beneath the drain plug of your vehicle. Run the engine a few miles (to circulate the engine oil and warm it up) - longer the better. Drain the oil to a trickle. On sienna's the drain is on the side - so a lot of oil still remains inside the pan. If you can - try to put your finger inside the hole and see if you can feel any metals attracted to the magnet (near the hole). In my case it was very small (like glitter) but you should be able to feel it with your fingers. Tip: Tilting the van to one side (using jack) helps drain more oil too.
the drain pan is exactly the same as my highlander, but the highlander has a capacity of 5.3 quarts, and the sienna has a 4.3quart capacity, but the lower pan looks exactly the same, and the drain plug is the bottom of the pan, IE, the pan tilts towards the drain, dunno why anything would be left.

also, modern oils are designed to capture the stuff in them, and either carry them to the filter, or keep the entrapped(while still lubricating) don't change your oil cold, get the engine hot by driving it, and then change it when its hot. that way, all that stuff is still mixed in, and has no chance to settle out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What I got from this thread and other Oil Change threads. In writing, this is what I have planned. (Still waiting for delivery)

1K - Filter only change, PurolatorOne
5K - Oil and filter change, OEM filter + Mobil1
10K - Dealer (ToyotaCare)
20K - Dealer (ToyotaCare)
25K - Oil and filter change, PurolatorOne filter + Mobil1
30K and beyond - Whenever I can get to it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What I got from this thread and other Oil Change threads. In writing, this is what I have planned. (Still waiting for delivery)

1K - Filter only change, PurolatorOne
5K - Oil and filter change, OEM filter + Mobil1
10K - Dealer (ToyotaCare)
20K - Dealer (ToyotaCare)
25K - Oil and filter change, PurolatorOne filter + Mobil1
30K and beyond - Whenever I can get to it.
for me its 5000 miles, I've said it before, I say it again:
Do what the experts do and not what the experts say: Car Care nut swears by 5000 mile oil change.
and my motto adopter from car care nut.
Oil is cheap, engines are not, and I can live with that.
I have heard a ton of times of engines damaged by not changing the oil on recommended intervals. I have never heard about a damaged engine because someone changed the oil too many times.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts