Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to add fog lights to my 2014 LE since I bought it. I'm wondering if I should go OEM or aftermarket, or if it really matters? OEM is really expensive, for example, the driver fog lamp housing is $188, plus you still need the bezels and such. Whereas a pair of TYC assemblies are $125 on Rockauto.

Planning to wire these up with true independent control. I'll interlock them so I need my running lights on to use them, but have them wired so I can turn off my headlights and still run the fog lights. My previous vehicles with OEM fog lights the fog lights were interlocked with the headlights, so on occasions where running fog lights really would help, they were largely negated by the glare of the much higher headlights bouncing light off the fog/snow directly into my eyes. And yes, it's legal in Wisconsin to run fog lights without headlights, in periods of poor visibility when driving at 20 MPH or less, which is the type of situation where being able to have fog lights without headlights would be very useful. Doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you really wish you had that ability.

Also I'm looking to add a set of proper rear fog lamps while I'm at it. Not decorative red lights, but true, bright red fog lamps intended to only be used during poor visibility. I found a thread some time ago where someone added a set that was made and sold for the EU market, and talked about how true rear fog lamps make a narrow beam that scatters and shows up well in fog, and how there's a lot of rear "fog lamps" that are just dim, wide beam lights that don't add visibility in fog. They will only be run in periods of low visibility (fog or snow). But if I recall (I'll try to find that thread again) the specific rear fog lamp used in that thread was no longer available.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Buy OEM foglights and adjust/aim it properly. For rear foglight, go Hella LED's. The best. Got a photo on the "What did you do with your Sienna today" I have to look for it. I'll post another photo and post it here if I could not find it..

· Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was Geezer’s thread I found earlier:

· Registered
1,189 Posts

· Registered
682 Posts
Found it. Post #675 What did you do to your Sienna Today? . The Hella rear foglights that I use 12V with clear lens. LED Rear Fog Lamp - Slim Surface Mount - ECE
I need rear fog lights living in the mid-west. It sucks that Amazon doesn't sell the Hella rear fog lights anymore, I even saw your post and picture on there. I'll now have to order from Amazon Germany for $66 usd. How did you wire your rear fog light? Did you need a relay?

I'm thinking of ordering this wire harness to wire the light.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I need rear fog lights living in the mid-west. It sucks that Amazon doesn't sell the Hella rear fog lights anymore, I even saw your post and picture on there. I'll now have to order from Amazon Germany for $66 usd. How did you wire your rear fog light? Did you need a relay?

I'm thinking of ordering this wire harness to wire the light.
No need for relay- DON'T waste your money. If it were the bulb type, I would since the bulb wattage is 21W. Hella's LED rear foglights are only 3W. I just tap it to one of the rear tailights(parking light) and add a push button switch (from MIT found in ebay) to the positive wire running it to the front dash so I can turn it on and off when parking lights are on and as needed. I fish the wire through a rubber gourmet under the cargo area to supply power to the rear foglight. You can simply buy those 90 degree aluminum bracket from Lowes or Home Depot and mount it like geezers did. I choose aluminum because they don't rust and easy to file to get a customize and exact length to match the rear foglight. You won't be disappointed with the Hella. I can't stare at it too long if I am close say 7-10 ft at night. It's just so bright and meets EU standards and in the EU, they get so much fog there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts