Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new on the site. I have a 2015 Limited AWD. I'm aware of its limited towing rate of 1500lbs and the FWD are 3500lbs.

Has anyone installed a thicker rad, auxiliary trans. Cooler kit? If so how would you know how much you've increased the towing capacity? Really looking to increase towing capacity to 3000-3500lbs.

Parts:
Etrailer.com sells an Aux. Cooler kit
Rear air bags to support o.e springs
Will source out a thicker rad.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
ON. CANADA

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
Wow, eight months and NO REPLY???

As far as I know, the major item that Toyota included in the "tow package" was and ENGINE oil cooler. I have heard rumors of a slightly larger radiator or fans with a bit more airflow, but nothing on the trans cooler idea.

And, ... before you start sourcing the parts for the oil cooer, it is generally believed that it can NOT be retro-fitted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hopefully, I'm not disturbing the zombies...

There's a valid (engineering) reason why the towing capacity for AWD is much lower than FWD. Both have the same exact engine and can handle certain amount of load. The power output from the engine driving 2 wheels is much less work than 4 wheels (additional friction of extra moving parts, loss of power converting rotating one direction to another). Thus, you have less remaining load available from the engine to tow.

I had this similar decision challenges when we bought the 2015 XLE. I had to sacrifice the AWD, which rarely used, for the much more useful, but also rarely used, towing capacity.

My gripe about it is why didn't Toyota build a Sienna with v8 power train (engine and transmission) from a 4x4 4runner. It's hell of cheaper and easier to raise the minivan for offroad to be towing 3500 lb. and still handle well in poor weather when not towing then trying to upgrade the towing capacity...

IMO, one bad ass minivan... not the so called "soccer Mom's car" as one trailer shop in Oklahoma commented..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts