Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Sienna XLE:
About 5 days ago while I was driving at about 50 mph and navigating a gradual left curve in the road, the van started jerking a bit. Looking at the dashboard, the ABS light was on and the speedometer was bouncing wildly between 50 and zero mph. I think the tach was also bouncing wildly but am not 100% sure of that now. This continued for about 10 seconds until the curve was complete and then the ABS light went off and the speedometer returned to normal 50 mph reading. I continued driving at 50 - 60 mph for about 15 minutes, then 35-40 mph for about 7 min, then 25-30 mph for about 10 min with no problems.

I don't know if it's related but my wife was driving the van about 2 days ago and she said that she reversed out of a parking stall. Shifted to drive and press the gas pedal but the van wouldn't move for a few seconds. Then the van started to move normally and was OK the rest of the day. She neglected to view the dashboard for any indications when the problem happened.

Background is that I rotated the tires about a month ago by swapping the left front and back and swapping the right front and back. I checked the tire pressures and inflated all tires to 37 pounds per my pressure gauge. The brake light came on when I test drove the van so I reset it per the owner's manual procedure. All was well until the ABS light on incident 5 days ago.

Any suggestions for preventative measures?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pull the ABS trouble code(s). The speedometer gets its speed signal from the ABS wheel sensors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you check the brake fluid level?
I just re-read my original post and discovered that I made a boo-boo. I said:

"Background is that I rotated the tires about a month ago by swapping the left front and back and swapping the right front and back. I checked the tire pressures and inflated all tires to 37 pounds per my pressure gauge. The brake light came on when I test drove the van so I reset it per the owner's manual procedure. All was well until the ABS light on incident 5 days ago."

What I meant to say was: The "tire pressure" light came on when I test drove the van so I reset it per the owner's manual procedure.

Anyhow, I just checked the brake fluid level and it is full.

Sorry for the boo-boo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the ABS trouble code(s). The speedometer gets its speed signal from the ABS wheel sensors.
I do have a Canbus OBD II reader unit. Is that what should be used or is there a different ABS code reader unit? I don't want to lose the trouble code (if it is stored) by using the wrong code reader.

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You just need to use a short length of wire to short two terminals (E1 and Tc) in DLC1. Then turn key to ON, and watch the ABS light blink the codes.

A different procedure is used to clear the code(s), but start by retrieving it.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just need to use a short length of wire to short two terminals (E1 and Tc) in DLC1. Then turn key to ON, and watch the ABS light blink the codes.

A different procedure is used to clear the code(s), but start by retrieving it.
Wow, such a kind guy (or gal?). Thanks much for taking the time to post all of that data. I will check the code and post the results.

Keep it warm,
SiennaGuy77

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, such a kind guy (or gal?). Thanks much for taking the time to post all of that data. I will check the code and post the results.

Keep it warm,
SiennaGuy77
Checked the code today. It showed 41. Googling I found codes for a 2001 Sienna which showed that a 41 code is "Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage".

With the key on but engine not running, the headlights were on. The battery voltage was 11.7 volts.
With the engine idling, the battery voltage was 14.2 volts.

I checked the battery using a hydrometer that is marked:

• Green (Good) 1300 - 1260
  • White (Fair) 1260 - 1225
  • Red (Recharge) 1225 - 1100

The cell readings were:

1. White Fair 1220
  2. White Fair 1230
  3. Red Recharge 1170
  4. White Fair 1230
  5. White Fair 1250
  6. White Fair 1225

Looks like cell-3 is bad. Is that right?

Do you think my battery is the cause of my momentary ABS light with speedometer bouncing between 50 and zero?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Battery voltage is too low. Replace the battery and then go from there.

After replacing the battery, clear code 41 from the ABS ECU. Here is the procedure:

(1) Connect terminals Tc and E1 in DLC1.
(2) Turn ignition switch ON.
(3) Depress brake pedal 8 or more times within 5 seconds.
(4) Verify that ABS warning light now shows no codes.
(5) Disconnect terminals Tc and E1 in DLC1.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery voltage is too low. Replace the battery and then go from there.

After replacing the battery, clear code 41 from the ABS ECU. Here is the procedure:

(1) Connect terminals Tc and E1 in DLC1.
(2) Turn ignition switch ON.
(3) Depress brake pedal 8 or more times within 5 seconds.
(4) Verify that ABS warning light now shows no codes.
(5) Disconnect terminals Tc and E1 in DLC1.
Replaced the battery today. Will clear the 41 code tomorrow.

Couple of finishing questions please:

1. The 41 code is for a too low or too high battery voltage. Is that code specifically in relation to the ABS circuitry, or is it just an overall battery condition code? Since the code output is by blinking the ABS light, I'm wondering if my low battery condition was sensed by the ABS computer.

2. Did you get the procedure to short the pins to read the the ABS light blinking from the Sienna service manual? I have the factory manual on a CD that I bought in 2002 from ebay but I haven't been able to find the procedure you gave me. I did find the drawing that you posted but could not find the procedure.

98SiennaLE, thank you very much for your help on this. I would never have found the bad battery condition without your help.
Siennaguy77

·
Registered
476 Posts
1. The 41 code is for a too low or too high battery voltage. Is that code specifically in relation to the ABS circuitry, or is it just an overall battery condition code? Since the code output is by blinking the ABS light, I'm wondering if my low battery condition was sensed by the ABS computer.
Correct.

2. Did you get the procedure to short the pins to read the the ABS light blinking from the Sienna service manual? I have the factory manual on a CD that I bought in 2002 from ebay but I haven't been able to find the procedure you gave me. I did find the drawing that you posted but could not find the procedure.
The procedure is found in the Diagnostics (DI) chapter under the Anti-lock Brake System subchapter.

98SiennaLE, thank you very much for your help on this. I would never have found the bad battery condition without your help.
Siennaguy77
Glad to help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been experiencing a similar thing with my 2002 sienna. Same exact symptoms and it has been becoming more frequent and causing the transmission to act funny. I pulled the codes and got 11 and 41. Had my battery tested at autozone and they told me it was reading as good and 100% charge. I cleared my codes yesterday and waited for the abs light to come on again today. It comes on at a random time during the drive but once i turn the car off the light stay off once restarted. I read the codes again today after having the light come on 2 different times and no trouble codes are found. Any suggestions? Was your issue ever resolved?

Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pull the ABS code. The ABS computer is storing trouble codes crucial to diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you try TC to CG, on the DLC3, to get the 11 and 41?

11 and 41 are strange. Maybe it's that solenoid?

How old is your battery?
I tried TC to E1 to get those codes. I cleared the codes and the issue happens everytime i drive but when trying to get codes now I just get constant flashing as if there is no code. Seems hard to diagnose since there are no codes and as soon as i shut the car off the lights go away and usually come back after 20 minutes or more of driving.

I'm unsure of the battery age but at least a few years old. Autozone told me it tested good and it 100% charge. Even with that info could it still be causing the issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts