Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an update for those who would like to monitor their Transmission Fluid Temperature EASILY.....no complicated formulas to enter.

THIS IS EASY to do.... If you have a OBDII reader that uses your smart phone, tablet, etc

If you have one of the newer OBDII readers that uses your smart phone, tablet, etc......
There is an app called "Torque".....there is a free version and there is the Pro version that costs $5 to activate (for life).

The new version of Torque is really easy to set up to use the transmission fluid temperature sensor in your transmission.

This is best done with the OBDII adaptor plugged in and the vehicle engine running at idle. (mine is bluetooth connection......no wires)

You will want to have your phone or device "connected" to your OBDII adaptor......

With the Torque App open at the home screen (first screen that comes up when you open the app)

From the "home" screen....select "Realtime Information"
You will see a screen with lots of gauges.......you could delete one that you won't use.....or swipe the screen with your finger to get a blank screen.

Press your finger on a blank spot on the screen......and hold....until "Item Options" comes up.....and select "Add display"

The "select type of display" screen comes up......where you can do as indicated.......I selected the first one....."Dial (Needle)"

At this point your screen will be filled with "Sensor Options"

With your engine running......all the sensors that you can monitor with your setup will be highlighted in GREEN.
Scroll down (they are in alphabetical order) to "Transmission Temperature"

Mine listed 2 "Transmission Temperature" selection.....(Method 1) and (Method 2)
For my 2003 Sienna (1st gen), ONLY the (Method 2) was GREEN.....and that is the only one that works (this is why I recommended you be connected and have the engine running......so you select what works on your vehicle).

Select the (method x) that is GREEN

The next screen lets you select the size of your gauge (you can change this later easily)......select your gauge size....

Then your gauge comes up......press your finger on the gauge and hold it there until the "Item options" menu comes up.

Select "Display configuration"......then select Set Maximum Value........and select 290, 300, or 350
If you don't like the display numbers....change the max (or min) value to get the display numbers you like.

You can also set a "min and/or max" notify value that will flash the display when the value is beyond the value you set.

You can also change the display type and size without having to go through the whole process of setting up a new meter.

To select between metric and english (C vs F)....go to the Torque "Home screen" and select the "gear" symbol at the bottom left of your screen......
Select "Settings" and then select "Units" and make your selections in the menu that comes up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
wiswind-
Hope your still around, Have Torque Pro and 2004 LTD Sienna and have tried to get trans temp. While vehicle running and connected it has 3 trans temp meters listed but none turn green while running and fully connected. Have tried all 3 but no luck. Under Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors a trans temp option is there but doesn't work. Do you have any way to make the program access my trans temp? Really need the reading, anyone?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I set this up in Torque app but all methods 1,2 and 3 read the same as coolant temp. I haven't had a chance to put a load on the trans yet towing but is this normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is an update for those who would like to monitor their Transmission Fluid Temperature EASILY.....no complicated formulas to enter.

THIS IS EASY to do.... If you have a OBDII reader that uses your smart phone, tablet, etc

If you have one of the newer OBDII readers that uses your smart phone, tablet, etc......
There is an app called "Torque".....there is a free version and there is the Pro version that costs $5 to activate (for life).

The new version of Torque is really easy to set up to use the transmission fluid temperature sensor in your transmission.

This is best done with the OBDII adaptor plugged in and the vehicle engine running at idle. (mine is bluetooth connection......no wires)

You will want to have your phone or device "connected" to your OBDII adaptor......

With the Torque App open at the home screen (first screen that comes up when you open the app)

From the "home" screen....select "Realtime Information"
You will see a screen with lots of gauges.......you could delete one that you won't use.....or swipe the screen with your finger to get a blank screen.

Press your finger on a blank spot on the screen......and hold....until "Item Options" comes up.....and select "Add display"

The "select type of display" screen comes up......where you can do as indicated.......I selected the first one....."Dial (Needle)"

At this point your screen will be filled with "Sensor Options"

With your engine running......all the sensors that you can monitor with your setup will be highlighted in GREEN.
Scroll down (they are in alphabetical order) to "Transmission Temperature"

Mine listed 2 "Transmission Temperature" selection.....(Method 1) and (Method 2)
For my 2003 Sienna (1st gen), ONLY the (Method 2) was GREEN.....and that is the only one that works (this is why I recommended you be connected and have the engine running......so you select what works on your vehicle).

Select the (method x) that is GREEN

The next screen lets you select the size of your gauge (you can change this later easily)......select your gauge size....

Then your gauge comes up......press your finger on the gauge and hold it there until the "Item options" menu comes up.

Select "Display configuration"......then select Set Maximum Value........and select 290, 300, or 350
If you don't like the display numbers....change the max (or min) value to get the display numbers you like.

You can also set a "min and/or max" notify value that will flash the display when the value is beyond the value you set.

You can also change the display type and size without having to go through the whole process of setting up a new meter.

To select between metric and english (C vs F)....go to the Torque "Home screen" and select the "gear" symbol at the bottom left of your screen......
Select "Settings" and then select "Units" and make your selections in the menu that comes up.
Hi I follow your instructions and yes I have the transmission temperature and it’s working but I thought it should read as Transmission FLUID temperature. is it the same? I’m planning to flush the fluid on my 2013 Sienna that’s why I need the correct temperature thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts