Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

2010 Sienna LE AWD, still trying to track down the issue of a whine only while pressing accelerator stops when releasing, I decided to go ahead and take a stethoscope and listen around my vehicle while driving, I tried to listen around the trans area, and transfer case area barely heard anything, until I came up to the driveshaft carrier bearing It was much louder there and noise stopped while releasing accelerator like normal.

I have a video of the movement in the driveshaft please give me your opinions, I saw Toyota has them for $250 but RockAuto has it for $25
'

Could the driveshaft bearing only be really making the sound under load?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Different car, but my '07 Honda Odyssey had a vibration when pressing the gas (but no noise like you have) that I suspected was the driveshaft carrier bearing. When I had it removed, it was not turning smoothly, so something was clearly wrong with it. If you or your mechanic has a bearing press, it's possible to replace just the bearing instead of the whole center driveshaft.

Reactions: SilverMachine

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Different car, but my '07 Honda Odyssey had a vibration when pressing the gas (but no noise like you have) that I suspected was the driveshaft carrier bearing. When I had it removed, it was not turning smoothly, so something was clearly wrong with it. If you or your mechanic has a bearing press, it's possible to replace just the bearing instead of the whole center driveshaft.
Alright, thank you for the info, honestly I'm not surprised if the bearing did go out as it has 260k miles on it, just curious if the driveshaft is supposed to have this much play since there is rubber in it.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,509 Posts
Based on what I have experienced with my 91 Volvo I wanna say it looks like too much play. The symptoms I was getting was vibration / rumbling feeling when accelerating, especially when the car was loaded. The bearing was fine but for a 30 year old car the rubber had deteriorated. When I changeout everything the symptoms went away . Hopefully someone else with a similar van like yours can do a quick check and confirm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok checked mine , it has about 1/2 the play that you shown in that video.
The second one has more than the first. I had to reef on it pretty good with 2 hands but was unable
To replicate the play you have. The vehicle has 110000 miles.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok checked mine , it has about 1/2 the play that you shown in that video.
The second one has more than the first. I had to reef on it pretty good with 2 hands but was unable
To replicate the play you have. The vehicle has 110000 miles.
Alrighty, thank you for that info, I have ordered a brand new one looks simple and easy to replace.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I would update this post with the final update, I did originally just order the carrier bearing as I thought it was only the carrier bearing but the U Joint also failed so I decided to get a full driveshaft from detroit axle, so I guess I have a spare mount now.

I have went ahead and installed the replacement driveshaft and has fixed my whine when applying the accelerator until I remove my foot from it, I guess it was whining under load but wasn't loud enough when coasting, transmission shifts a lot better now no more jerky shifting.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad all is well now. So , compared to the old carrier bearing and its support was the movement too much now that you have a new one to see the difference?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update. Glad all is well now. So , compared to the old carrier bearing and its support was the movement too much now that you have a new one to see the difference?
The old support definitely had a lot more movement and bearing noise when spinning it by hand than the new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts