Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at relocating from Australia to Toronto ( well - Kitchener Waterloo region actually) in December to work with enough time to do a lot of travelling.
Have previously lived in BC for 3 years & decided to go to the "other" side.

Here we go again............AWD v's FWD.

Thinking about the idea of a AWD as we will be doing a lot of travel & also looking at purchasing a snowmobile, so would be towing a trailer as well. We previously had a Dodge Caravan - fwd- and got us everywhere we wanted to go in BC but didn't go into much snow areas.

Besides the lower gas mileage, chewing up more tires & no spare, any opinions would be aprreciated. If we go the AWD way, I will not be running RFT's, carry a spare, with 2 sets of tires. Looking at 08 / 09 model.

AWD with snow tires, a reasonable idea towing a snowmobile to mostly trail areas, no bush bashing.

Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
We are looking at relocating from Australia to Toronto ( well - Kitchener Waterloo region actually) in December to work with enough time to do a lot of travelling.
Have previously lived in BC for 3 years & decided to go to the "other" side.

Here we go again............AWD v's FWD.

Thinking about the idea of a AWD as we will be doing a lot of travel & also looking at purchasing a snowmobile, so would be towing a trailer as well. We previously had a Dodge Caravan - fwd- and got us everywhere we wanted to go in BC but didn't go into much snow areas.

Besides the lower gas mileage, chewing up more tires & no spare, any opinions would be aprreciated. If we go the AWD way, I will not be running RFT's, carry a spare, with 2 sets of tires. Looking at 08 / 09 model.

AWD with snow tires, a reasonable idea towing a snowmobile to mostly trail areas, no bush bashing.

Thanks
Roger
Roger,

If you are not aware Kitchener gets a lot of snow in the winter. I would suggest snow tires. You don't really need AWD IMO. With the AWD there is no spare tire.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I would have 2 sets of tires, standard & full winter tires. But would be going to places like Sudbury towing a trailer, maybe with 2 sleds, in winter. Would fwd still be ok ??

Roger

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Thanks for the response. I would have 2 sets of tires, standard & full winter tires. But would be going to places like Sudbury towing a trailer, maybe with 2 sleds, in winter. Would fwd still be ok ??

Roger
It should be ok. If the snow is that bad, then most of the roads will be blocked with others that don't have snow tires.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Exactly. I live in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). I have never driven an AWD vehicle. Did not need it at all. As a heavy front wheel drive, you'd be hard pressed to even need the winter tires if you're driving on paved roads and highways. I've never seen semis and big trucks changing to winter tires during winter. However, having used winter tires myself the difference is quite significant.

So, in a nutshell, as you'd be following others and not be trailblazing a new path, you'd be well served with a two wheel drive. A significant majority of cars driven in the GTA are front wheel drive. When blizzard strikes, you'll not go any faster than the lowest common denominator blocking your way.

·
Banned
11 Posts
You know, Sienna is a great car for moving. I used it not only when I moved, but my friends and family also asked me to help them move as my Sienna could replace a moving truck. And it's true, you can fit a lot of things in it, besides the old big furniture of course. My last move was the most difficult that I ever had to do. There was so much furniture to move that I filled the Sienna with only clothing and appliances, and for the rest, we paid a moving company. First of all, they got me rid of the back pain and the nerves from disassembling the furniture - I hate that. Secondly, they just fitted all the big pieces in their trucks. Even if taken by pieces, I should have done dozens of return trips to move them all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From the rest of the responses here it sounds like you may be well enough served with FWD. Some of the reason I prefer to always have AWD is that there are areas I could most likely drive without it, but that have regulations about chaining up if you don't have AWD and four wheels turning will absolutely work better at times than just two of them.

·
Registered
Old
547 Posts
Does Sienna have a limited slip equivalent for their front wheel drive? I had it on a 60s muscle car that could match 4wd's from the 60's in the snow. At least until being hung up on a drift.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,594 Posts
All vehicles today have traction and stability control. Very few have an actual mechanical 'limited slip differential' but instead use computer controlled ABS to slow an individual spinning wheel. That forces engine torque thru the open differential(s) to the other side or to the other axle. This re-purposing of existing hardware works fine for occasional use, but heavy duty continuous operation would overheat the brakes. For that reason, most systems also dial back the throttle or ignition timing to reduce applied torque. That's the downside - as that can kill forward motion when you need it the most.

Reactions: paul r and Shinmai

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I was thinking about buying a car for traveling on the snowy road. Also, one that could hold a snowmobile. I would probably buy myself a Ford F150. It seems like a great option to me. If you need to carry a lot of stuff, I recommend going with this site. They can help you with moving, packing, and unpacking. When I was moving, that's exactly what they helped me with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so did the guy move Down Under? is this thread from 2015? if so hows it doing? still driving the AWD Sienna? do tell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts