Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 05/03/2021 >>
OK --- No luck for me!!! Pretty disappointing now. Its a bit later then real life events but had to wait for the parts to arrive! So far this has been done:
Replaced with a new sensor (not OEM) and at the same time did a really good cleaup of the throttle body, MAF sensor and all in the direction of the air suction along with a new filter as well. (was pretty bad looking)
Started the car and it ran better then before. Started driving all excited and BOOM them X-Mas tree went on... Now I have Code P0793 - Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor, Circuit No Signal
I looked up how to test the wiring and couldn't find anything useful. I have done a visual inspection around the wiring and loom and all seemed pretty well off. I did not take the cover sheathing off the wires.
1. If you guys know how to test the wiring I would appreciate you letting me know (12v, resistance etc.?)
2. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
On the positive note -- I am now less afraid to go in and to spark plugs and all, the throttle body is really good looking now, and I even got my 3yr old dirty helping out as a tool attended.
On another not I did read at some places that the sensor might still be the issue since its a cheap replacement. (dropping a $120 for an OEM sensor its bit crazy)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 04/27/2021 >>
I shall start with saying thank you again for all the help. I have gotten to the sensor and took it out for inspection and cleaning. The sensor tested well on the bench and seems to be operational. There were no excessive shavings or the sort. No signs of damage to the wiring (at-least near the connector area). After a good clean and assembly back to place it all seems to be working great. (for now!!)
I did order a replacement sensor just in-case so if t does end up being bad il have one handy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT>>>
1st I wanna thank you all for your time in helping. So after reading the comments I tried to read the ABS and got nothing there as well. Shortly after... (lucky me!!) the light came up just as the X-mas lights the Sienna can do and now I have a solid P0500. All seemed to work good and no funny stuff (slipping transmission nor speedometer failure). So I cleared out the code. Then it showed up again. This time I was more observant and indeed noticed the speedometer non functional.
The weird stuff is that after a short while the speedometer started working again (P0500 still present). So now I'm pretty baffled. My thoughts are that Either the sensor is bad or there is somewhere a disconnect in the wiring.
The code indicates the "Speed Sensor A" looking online I find conflicting information as to which one this is. Some direct to the one thats connected to the transmission and some indicate there is a problem with the ABS sensors on the wheels.
Any further advise as to the correct sensor would be helpful.
When I get some time over the weekend I plan to take some stuff apart and gain access to the sensor on the transmission to see for connectivity and possibly replace it to test that lead. (rather do that then get the ABS sensors on the wheels)
Thanks you all again for the great help.

Hello to all,
I have a 2004 Expedition XLE and after a while not running (stuck with some exhaust repair) I had it up and runing again. Now with no real pattern I have the Tire pressure, VSC, ABS, and BRAKE lights on. Its not always showing and pretty random. I have no codes in the system. Had a past code for the A/F sensor and after that was replaced no more of that nonsense. Cant really think of what may be the issue. If anyone had experienced it and can shed some light that would be great. Thanks for all the help and advise.
IMG_20210416_183810.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello to all,
I have a 2004 Expedition XLE and after a while not running (stuck with some exhaust repair) I had it up and runing again. Now with no real pattern I have the Tire pressure, VSC, ABS, and BRAKE lights on. Its not always showing and pretty random. I have no codes in the system. Had a past code for the A/F sensor and after that was replaced no more of that nonsense. Cant really think of what may be the issue. If anyone had experienced it and can shed some light that would be great. Thanks for all the help and advise.
View attachment 49820
You need a code reader that can read your abs codes for the first step. Probably a sensor linked to the abs or VDC system...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a code reader that can read your abs codes for the first step. Probably a sensor linked to the abs or VDC system...
Thanks for the advise. Il get a better scanner and have another go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just to cover your (easy) bases, I think it's worth asking if the tires are all properly inflated. If I tire is significantly underinflated, it no longer has the same rotating diameter. Theoretically, that can throw off the speed sensor, and consequently the ABS. That being said, these vans love to light up the whole christmas tree for the silliest littlest things, so it may be some thing else completely. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Please see edit I posted to the original issue. It seems to be a sensor indeed. Now to figure out which one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to cover your (easy) bases, I think it's worth asking if the tires are all properly inflated. If I tire is significantly underinflated, it no longer has the same rotating diameter. Theoretically, that can throw off the speed sensor, and consequently the ABS. That being said, these vans love to light up the whole christmas tree for the silliest littlest things, so it may be some thing else completely. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Hi. After reading your post I checked the tires and they are indeed all inflated correctly. And I believe theorethically that is true since the Sienna does calculate according to the sensors on the wheels. Every little issue does seem to trigger the X-Mass tree!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd also look for rodent damage (i.e. chewed/frayed wires). I had a rat literally destry the speed sensor wiring on a Mazda I own. The sensor itself was in perfect shape, but the wiring just before the connector was toast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd also look for rodent damage (i.e. chewed/frayed wires). I had a rat literally destry the speed sensor wiring on a Mazda I own. The sensor itself was in perfect shape, but the wiring just before the connector was toast.
That is definitly an option. Today I shall find out! Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there please see updated events and let me know your thoughts.Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm not familiar with this particular code, but "Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor, Circuit No Signal" sounds like you might have knocked a wire block loose or disconnected one as part of your work and not reconnected it. I'd look for a video for replacement of the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor and see where the wire block is connected and make sure it is tight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not familiar with this particular code, but "Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor, Circuit No Signal" sounds like you might have knocked a wire block loose or disconnected one as part of your work and not reconnected it. I'd look for a video for replacement of the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor and see where the wire block is connected and make sure it is tight.
Hi Bill,
To my best understanding it relates to the same sensor I have just replaced. Only that this time the speedometer works, and instead of the P0500 I now get this code along with some slippage in the change of gears as I drive (did not occur before.)
I need to see how to test the wiring part (connector) and then i"l open it up again and see if something got pinched or is possibly shorting somewhere.
Thanks for the reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts