Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure where else to post so...

My van is very close to 200,000 kms. Should be there by Tuesday or Wednesday. It's a milestone to me. We bought it back in March 2008 with 78,215 kms on her for $15,000 and she was beautiful and still is. This is our 1st Chrysler Product as well.

Currently the van has 199,741 KMS on the ODO,and still runs and drives like new to date. Has lots of life left in her, at this rate i'll be at 300,000 kms in no time.

Here's my journey from 180,000 kms to now: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/37393-My-van-is-at-180-000...
My sig should tell me what has been replaced since we bought the van in 2008. All it needs right now is a Serpentine belt, and Alt pulley replaced. Brakes need servicing and i'm going to fix a rust spot here and there, all which will be fixed this summer. Should be done with my mods by then as well.

Case in point, these Chrysler vans are just as reliable as the Toyota vans and wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Caravan right now.

Current mileage:

Rust spot to take care of:

Recent picture of the van:

This is a 10+ year old van and is going strong with minimal rust (First 9 years, never rustproofed, been rustproofed by me since 2013, and still has minimal rust for being in the rustbelt). I'm looking forward to the next 7+ years of Mopar ownership with this van!!!

These vans are equally as good as your Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My sister had an 03 Grand Caravan with the 3.3L, it was junk. In its defense, it wasn't taken care of by its previous owner (or my sister), so when she bought it (against my advice, I instantly noticed some issues that let me know it was neglected) I wasn't happy since she always calls me when her cars have a problem. In the 18 months she had it, she blew apart an axle, needed multiple brake jobs, developed a short in the injector harness that kept cyl. #5 pegged, and she blew the engine (the oil light came on, I told her to pull over and park it, she decided to keep going because her friend needed to get home, engine made it another 20 miles before it locked up). Got her a new engine and two weeks later a 14 year old stole it and rammed into three cars trying to run away from the police (gotta love living in Baltimore lol).

I don't think they're bad vans; in fact I liked how it drove (though it was a bit soft). My first car was a 1988 Plymouth Voyager (the original minivan) and I got rid of it in 2004 with over 200,000 miles (it was on its second engine, third head, but original transmission, which was a modern day miracle for the rep Chrysler transmissions had back then). I say all that to say that I know Chrysler vans can be every bit as reliable as any other van with the right care. Having been in a new T&C though, it's not as roomy as the Sienna, and the AWD was something we wanted since we got all this snow this last winter. That's the only reason at this point that I prefer the Toyota over the Chrysler.

·
Registered
940 Posts
200,000 km is roughly equal to 125,000 miles. Let me know when you get to 400,000 km and I'll celebrate with you, which was the miles of my 1998 Honda Civic.
I recently sold the Civic. The car only had one spot of rust on the bottom of the passenger door, I was the original owner. I put it on Craigslist for $2000 and had a bidding war for it. I stopped answering the phone after I got 30+ calls in one hour.

A few months later, I sold our 2001 Dodge Stratus: 50,000 less miles than the Civic, 3 years newer, rust forming inside all the doors and trunk lid. After two days, I finally got ONE phone call and sold it for $950.

·
Registered
71 Posts
200,000km is still a baby, congrats though.

My hockey teammate has that era Caravan with about 250,000km on it. The A/C doesn't work but otherwise it's been a reliable vanpool machine for us, when it's been his turn to drive. Another teammate has an 03 Odyssey with just under 200,000km on it, and then me with my Sienna. We take turns driving.

I've always wondered if following the maintenance schedule to the T can make a perceived unreliable vehicle, reliable? Or if a slight lack of maintenance can send our Siennas to an early grave? A lot of vehicle owners seem to try to get away with doing as little to maintain their vehicles as possible.

Oh and while minivan shopping, I had a couple of people recommend the Venture/Montana citing bulletproof drivetrains, maybe except the head gaskets.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
200,000 km is roughly equal to 125,000 miles. Let me know when you get to 400,000 km and I'll celebrate with you,
I have no doubts that I will make it. These vans can easily get to 400,000 kms. Many owners on the forum have achieved and past that mileage, even with the original tranny. Heck a few of them are past 500,000 kms. I have no doubts that my van will make it that far. Gonna prove many wrong.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200,000km is still a baby, congrats though.

My hockey teammate has that era Caravan with about 250,000km on it. The A/C doesn't work but otherwise it's been a reliable vanpool machine for us, when it's been his turn to drive. Another teammate has an 03 Odyssey with just under 200,000km on it, and then me with my Sienna. We take turns driving.

I've always wondered if following the maintenance schedule to the T can make a perceived unreliable vehicle, reliable? Or if a slight lack of maintenance can send our Siennas to an early grave? A lot of vehicle owners seem to try to get away with doing as little to maintain their vehicles as possible.

Oh and while minivan shopping, I had a couple of people recommend the Venture/Montana citing bulletproof drivetrains, maybe except the head gaskets.
Thanks! It's a milestone for me, as I haven't witnessed a vehicle flip to 200,000 kms in Years.

My friend owns a 2005 Montana 3.5 with nearly 150,000 kms. Tons of problems with it. Even had to replace the tranny. I think the dexcool is what screws many of those GM cars up

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here we are now...This will be the very last time I will see the van at 199,000 kms. As of tomorrow it'll turn over to 200,000 kms. Sadly I won't be in the van to take the picture of the van at exact 200,000 kms. A milestone in my books.

Here is a pic of it at 199,950 kms about an hour ago...

Here is the mileage right now, needless to say, this is the last pic before 200,000 kms.

My uncle also told me this as well: "if it wasn't for you this van would have been in the scrap yard already, no Chrysler product can make it this far". I didn't feel like arguing but I was dying to tell him this "look around, there is a chrysler minivan at every stoplight, that has to tell you how reliable they are, 200,000 kms is nothing for these vans...How many engines did that 2008 F550 go through again??"

I shall prove them all wrong in 3 years when I cross over 250,000 kms.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We crossed that path. We're now at 200,000 kms on our lovely 2004 Caravan. Sadly I was not in the van to grab the pic at exact 200,000 kms, but I was still amazed. Still purrs like a kitten. Now I got to get used to the odometer numbers lol.

Here's to another 200,000 kms!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts