• I will wait till they fix the issues above

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • No, I will switch to a different Minivan

Votes: 10 19.2%
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
It’s a very vocal but small minority. Toyota did market research and determined the vast majority of owners are just like you, so that’s why they ditched the removable seats in exchange for more safety for rear passengers.
For what it's worth, I don't think it was a safety issue -- it was/is a comfort issue. They used to protect the 2nd row passengers with curtain airbags in the sides of the vehicle. To create the absurdly long (in a good way!) slide in the second row they had to move the airbags to the seat itself -- they couldn't protect that full range with air bags in the sides. And similarly comfort-wise once they had non-removable seats they could add the seat heaters to certain models. Both required connections that they clearly didn't want owners responsible for reconnecting each time.

As it happens, we did OFTEN use the removable seats, both for transporting large things (televisions mostly) and more often for bike rides where it was very easy to put them in and out the side doors. So I was disappointed with the non-removable seats but not so much that it was a deal killer. And my kids, especially my very tall teenager, love the long slide seats.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The safety issue with backward facing seat with an infant seat is that the infant would then be facing forward. In a frontal collision (the most likely type), the infant’s head and neck would be unsupported and would stretch forward. With a forward facing vehicle seat and rear facing infant seat, the head and neck are supported during the rapid deceleration of the vehicle.

-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can blame these guys for the design of the new van. I may wait until summer or fall to see if they fix any problem from the first build. Never own a hybrid before so not sure about the battery after 10 years as this will be our long term van.
One thing that the Prius has done is create a solid market for battery cells, my In-laws have an '08 that's had a few cells swapped, got cheaper every time. No one does hybrids as painless as Toyota, loved both out Prii.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2011 XLE with ~130k. Wondering why you want to replace yours with so few miles on it? Im expecting to be buried in this van 😄

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am firmly on the fence right now. Currently have a 2011 XLE with 145K. Some random thoughts:

• I'm feeling the lure of the Ody like never before, but I can't bring myself to test drive one. I simply do not trust their reliability; From what I see on the internet, I think their quality is a bit of a myth.
  • Same with Chrysler; I just don't trust the product.
  • There's a lot to be said for the Kia Sedonas, but as far as I can tell, they don't have that huge open space between the passenger and driver like the Sienna does. Total show-stopper. That's the back-pack/snack/purse space.
  • Haven't test driven 2021 Sienna yet. I love the looks and the gas mileage, but I suspect I will dislike the softex material, the price, and the driving performance. We will see.
  • In ten years I have never felt the need to remove our 2nd row seats. So many people are obsessed with this feature; maybe I don't do enough home improvement projects.
  • I think the 2011 has been the perfect vehicle. That's why I think we will wind up with a gently used 2019 or 2020, but who knows.
  • The 2022 Kia definitely looks like it's going to shake up the minivan market.
I had a 2005 and a 2015 Sienna SE, I have a 2019 Odyssey XLE looked at both 2019's, don't know why Toyota doesn't put child seat attachments in all 3 positions in the rear. This makes it inconvenient for families with 3 or more youngsters.. I liked the heatin/cooling vent layout and the rear wiper location on the Sienna better. We bought the Ody because it handles better just felt like a better choice. I'd really have to drive the 2021 Hybrid to decide and see what other differences still exist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am firmly on the fence right now. Currently have a 2011 XLE with 145K. Some random thoughts:

• I'm feeling the lure of the Ody like never before, but I can't bring myself to test drive one. I simply do not trust their reliability; From what I see on the internet, I think their quality is a bit of a myth.
  • Same with Chrysler; I just don't trust the product.
  • There's a lot to be said for the Kia Sedonas, but as far as I can tell, they don't have that huge open space between the passenger and driver like the Sienna does. Total show-stopper. That's the back-pack/snack/purse space.
  • Haven't test driven 2021 Sienna yet. I love the looks and the gas mileage, but I suspect I will dislike the softex material, the price, and the driving performance. We will see.
  • In ten years I have never felt the need to remove our 2nd row seats. So many people are obsessed with this feature; maybe I don't do enough home improvement projects.
  • I think the 2011 has been the perfect vehicle. That's why I think we will wind up with a gently used 2019 or 2020, but who knows.
  • The 2022 Kia definitely looks like it's going to shake up the minivan market.
I bought the 21 Sienna the last of Dec, my selling dealer discounted it $3000 plus threw in leather, mine is the LE, so far I am very happy with it, I’m getting between 32 to 35 mpg in town, when I brought it home, it was all highway driving for 45 miles, when I fit home it was showing 42 mpg on the computer, not bad for a 4600 lb vehicle. Don’t expect a hot rod, it had adequate acceleration, at least for me. Has a very good ride and quite, and very fuel efficient.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought the 21 Sienna the last of Dec, my selling dealer discounted it $3000 plus threw in leather, mine is the LE, so far I am very happy with it, I’m getting between 32 to 35 mpg in town, when I brought it home, it was all highway driving for 45 miles, when I fit home it was showing 42 mpg on the computer, not bad for a 4600 lb vehicle. Don’t expect a hot rod, it had adequate acceleration, at least for me. Has a very good ride and quite, and very fuel efficient.
leather in an LE?

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
59 Posts
The Sienna was never really meant to be used as a utility vehicle. It's just a bonus, albeit, a bit limited. It was designed to move people around and some of their cargo.

if you want flexible utility potential as well and a people mover.. there are alternatives out there for much more bargain.

Such as Ford Transit..
The Ford Transit comes in different configuration to fit your needs.. like do you want a mobile workshop or do you want to haul 15 people or a mix. It can even tow 7500lbs

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Sienna was never really meant to be used as a utility vehicle. It's just a bonus, albeit, a bit limited. It was designed to move people around and some of their cargo.

if you want flexible utility potential as well and a people mover.. there are alternatives out there for much more bargain.

Such as Ford Transit..
The Ford Transit comes in different configuration to fit your needs.. like do you want a mobile workshop or do you want to haul 15 people or a mix. It can even tow 7500lbs
Thank you so much, I was going to use the Sienna as a utility vehicle occasionally, as it gets such great gas mileage and it's reputation for reliability. But.... Since reading you post, I will definitely get that Ford. Is there a particular year you recommend for maximum utility?

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
59 Posts
If you want MPG benefits then the Sienna definitely got the Ford Transit beat. Not even comparable.

The best I could ever get from our company's Transit and Transit Connect is low 20s on a very good day and light loads.

We have recently acquired several 2020s Ford Transit and Transit Connect in our fleet. Some were outfitted with full-on workbench and test equipments, others were plushed out to carry clients and cargo. We have a few that only have front driver and passenger and were left empty with reinforced floor for use as shop trucks and to tow.

The 2021 version is supposed to be a bit beef up for more capacity. Ordered a few but still waiting for it to be outfitted.

The MB Sprinter van is capable too but more pricey for what you can get.

(╭☞ ಠ ͜つ ಠ )╭☞ r=1+sinθ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2011 XLE with ~130k. Wondering why you want to replace yours with so few miles on it? Im expecting to be buried in this van 😄
I replaced a 2013 AWD XLE with 74,000 miles -- originally I was thinking it would be my last car with a steering wheel but things haven't developed as quickly as I would have liked on that front. I figured sell it now while the value is still good and there is a market for traditional non-electric, non-hybrid minivans. My roommate is on his 2nd Prius and I was intrigued by the hybrid van. Spending so much time at home the last year, boredom set in and I thought it was time for something shiny and new. Not the greatest of reasons but if I am stuck at home for 5-6 more months I am guessing the 2021 will have pretty low mileage too when its time to trade up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha! You may have to reserve a spot for me next to you in the auto graveyard! We're at 145K. The more I drive this vehicle, the more I want to keep driving this vehicle. I was getting into the habit last year of taking my daughter back to college in one shot - 13 hours round trip. Probably not the safest decision, but the living room on wheels is so darn comfortable that I didn't mind doing it.

Borrowing from a different thread, I stand by my suspicion that the 2021s are a sales disaster. (I don't care what the sales figures say.) I am on the road a lot here in Southern Virginia, and I've seen one 2021 Sienna (ONE!) in four months. Meanwhile, you can't drive 10 seconds in this town without seeing an Ody or a Gen 2/3 Sienna.

I know. That's circumstantial evidence and I am probably wrong, but I have a nagging feeling the American public does not want a hybrid minivan, at least with gas @ $2.20.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced a 2013 AWD XLE with 74,000 miles -- originally I was thinking it would be my last car with a steering wheel but things haven't developed as quickly as I would have liked on that front. I figured sell it now while the value is still good and there is a market for traditional non-electric, non-hybrid minivans. My roommate is on his 2nd Prius and I was intrigued by the hybrid van. Spending so much time at home the last year, boredom set in and I thought it was time for something shiny and new. Not the greatest of reasons but if I am stuck at home for 5-6 more months I am guessing the 2021 will have pretty low mileage too when its time to trade up.
So you've bought one? Did you get the XLE? Do you like it so far?

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
58 Posts
Borrowing from a different thread, I stand by my suspicion that the 2021s are a sales disaster. (I don't care what the sales figures say.) I am on the road a lot here in Southern Virginia, and I've seen one 2021 Sienna (ONE!) in four months. Meanwhile, you can't drive 10 seconds in this town without seeing an Ody or a Gen 2/3 Sienna.

I know. That's circumstantial evidence and I am probably wrong, but I have a nagging feeling the American public does not want a hybrid minivan, at least with gas @ $2.20.
GoodCarBadCar reports Toyota sold 6,944 Siennas last month, up ~3K YOY, down slightly from 7,513 in December. Total Sienna sales for 2020 were 42K, the worst year GCBC has in 15 years of reporting, and less than half of 2018's.

Edit: Honda Odyssey sales were 5,336 in January, 83.4K for 2020.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^ The way I saw it was that the problem wasn't demand, it was inventory. I was looking for a Limited or Platinum trim with certain options. There were a couple within 250 miles and I bought one, a Limited. The situation hasn't really improved in the past month. It's not just limited to the Sienna. I was also looking at the Pacifica Hybrid and was told that the local dealers would have them on January 4. They're still not in stock here.

After a couple of Pacificas, I saw the Sienna as a compelling upgrade and don't regret it. The fuel mileage is ridiculous. I've never owned anything that could easily go 600 plus miles on a tank. It's not about the economics, I like that I don't need to find a gas station nearly as often. The bottom line is that I think Toyota made a smart decision with the powertrain. The acceleration is competitive and the fuel economy is well ahead of the competition. The only serious competitor is the Pacifica Hybrid with 30 miles range on the batteries, 30 mpg and the $7500 tax credit. I was willing to wait on the Pacifica but she who must be obeyed had to have the second row seats of the Sienna with the (FWD only) foot rests. I'm good with that.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Anecdotal evidence is about as reliable as an old Yugo. Last weekend, my wife and I took a trip and I saw three Lotus Elises. They sold about a thousand per year in the US and I saw three of them on one trip. When we lived in another town, there were Pontiac Aztecs everywhere, yet we all know that nobody bought them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is about as reliable as an old Yugo. Last weekend, my wife and I took a trip and I saw three Lotus Elises. They sold about a thousand per year in the US and I saw three of them on one trip. When we lived in another town, there were Pontiac Aztecs everywhere, yet we all know that nobody bought them.
Aztecs? Yikes! I wonder if you stumbled upon the local chapter of the Breaking Bad fan club :)

Yes, I know my methodology is pretty silly, and the point about supply and demand is a very good one, but I still have a nagging feeling Toyota is going to be very disappointed by the Sienna sales.

Of course, if and when gas hits four bucks again, it will be another story entirely.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts