25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I got my question answered over at Reddit. Basically:
  • Trans pan leaking - Gasket around the transmission oil pan is leaking
  • 3 Stage Intake Cleaning
  • Brake Fluid Flush Service
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor
Original Post

I haven't taken my van in since late 2019, before the pandemic, as once it hit, I basically stopped driving. Last time I had my van serviced by Toyota, I was recommended these items. Can someone interpret what these mean?

1623302611731.png

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE "Clifford the Big Red Van"
50 Posts
Your findings make sense. The mass airflow sensor sometimes gets covered with dirt and crud and it can't do its job. Some people remove and clean it themselves, you can find this process on youtube. The others are obvious, I don't know what three stage intake cleaning is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On the other hand, if your car runs efficiently, passes emissions inspection, and the transmission leak is not terrible and leaving puddles on your floor, then I wouldn't do any of it. - edit - it is a Gen 2 which means it is at least 10 years old. These are minor problems on a 10-year-old car if it is running well.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Trans pan cleaning / 3 stage. Maybe drop the pan change the strainer , drain and fill a couple times?
I did not see 3 stage "intake cleaning" unless that is what the service tech told you. If that is the case then maybe throttle body cleaning and fuel treatment a couple times?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
how many miles on your van??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1. how many miles on your van??
    Just shy of 90,000. If you need an explanation as to why the mileage is so low with respect to the year...I bought it used in late 2009 from a Vietnam vet who was actually in an accident in 2001 or somewhere there abouts taking his grandkid to school, he got $25k worth of conversions done for free, thanks to the VA Hospital. His only use for the van was for when his wife drove him around. The son sold it to me for cheap after the owner passed away. Plus with quarantine, I haven't been working since March of last year so I haven't driven much since then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trans pan cleaning / 3 stage. Maybe drop the pan change the strainer , drain and fill a couple times?
I did not see 3 stage "intake cleaning" unless that is what the service tech told you. If that is the case then maybe throttle body cleaning and fuel treatment a couple times?
I'll be having someone do all of this for me, I'm disabled, I can't stand up, nor am I very steady when holding things. My ability to drive isn't affected, I have had had controls installed onto the vehicle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
JOSHKORN, you can probably ignore all of it @ 90K miles. Check the transmission fluid per the owners manual. If it's OK then you probably have some minor trans pan seepage. Just check the trans fluid whenever you stop for gas and if it's OK then no need to replace the trans pan gasket.

The other three items are high profit service recommendations from the dealer. What part of the country did the van reside? If it it was in a dry climate then the brake fluid is fine, especially if you aren't frequently driving on very long and steep grades where old brake fluid can boil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JOSHKORN, you can probably ignore all of it @ 90K miles. Check the transmission fluid per the owners manual. If it's OK then you probably have some minor trans pan seepage. Just check the trans fluid whenever you stop for gas and if it's OK then no need to replace the trans pan gasket.

The other three items are high profit service recommendations from the dealer. What part of the country did the van reside? If it it was in a dry climate then the brake fluid is fine, especially if you aren't frequently driving on very long and steep grades where old brake fluid can boil.
Southern California, near Long Beach.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have all that stuff to deal with and the dealer tries to take advantage of you like that? Ask your neighbors for recommendations for a private mechanic or private shop, not a dealership. Never go back to that dealer again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The first and last one,, maybe.
If the trans pan gasket is leaking its not a expensive thing. You could visit a trans shop or independent repair shop an request a new trans filter with a drain and refill. Mention you want a new pan gasket.
The 4th one I do in my driveway and takes 5 min.tops.

·
Registered
238 Posts
all I get out of that is tech is billing your car for $$$ even though it doesn't need it....Just more upsell $$ for dealer and tech....Run away from that shop..

·
Registered
37 Posts
At 90,000 and an '04 you should plan on the timing belt to be done soon if it hasn't been done yet...

Yes have the trans filter changed when they do the gasket, and change the oil.
Yes purge the brake fluid.
As for intake cleaning, dump a bottle of Techron cleaner in your gas tank, and change the air filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts