Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I thought Id introduce myself and join your community as a new 49 year old, wife and 2 kids, Sienna owner.
When I first thought to replace our 11 year old 2009 Honda Pilot 4wd, it was for the Tesla X long range. I already own a 2018 Model 3 Performance.
I ordered a X in early Dec. Elon decided no one will get their cars until Feb-Mar 2021 so I got anxious to fill the empty garage slot.
After a craze of waiting a month, my wife and I decided ok lets go check out the Sienna because we had a minivan in mind also since the last two car shows. Minivan’s space convenience was really what prompted me to even think about replacing a low mileage 50k Pilot that has all the options. It was just getting old, long in tooth and had none of the modern techs. Thank the Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle to really get me to think about minivans as a possibility. Anyway, big turmoil :) under this pandemic. The Pilot went to Carvana.
I was very skeptical of the Atkinson 4 cylinder since we had a 2010 Prius V trim. Test drove the 2021 Sienna Platinum Grey exterior awd under heavy rain. Wow, they improved the throttle response by a whole lot, enough to convince me that if I wasn’t thinking about the engine as a 4 cylinder, the power was enough to move it around without thinking its a Prius. After just 30 min of driving, we drove alone, no sales person with us, I was convinced that my future van didn’t need a big v6. I was not convinced the FCA v6 in the Pacifica nor its quality would be better than the Sienna’s.
After driving I thought sure its great but something about that grey exterior wasn’t to my taste and my wife’s 2018 Camry XSE’s pearl white was a better color choice.
Suddenly with the help of my wonderful salesman, I went through 2 other vans and test drove the Limited and XSE in Ruby red. I thought a red XSE would be cool.
Huh? as I drove and realized the XSE has no entertainment option in this one, no digitsl rearview mirror option, no birds-eye view option - everything the Camry has. Why Toyota?? it already doesnt have the ottoman option strangely due to awd and no 20” wheels. Oook. Went on to try the Limited.
Huh? well that front end.. love the XSE look but the Limited (and Platinum) is a step back. No matter its ok. Went on with the drive. Hmm ok, everything seems to be there, digital rearview, awd, upgraded entertsinment..WHAT, hey we parked near the curb, wheres the view of the curb like my Camry does? It doesn’t have it! Wow what BS Toyota.
Theres noway I was going to spend 50K+ on a Toyota Sienna and not get the color I like. No green, no brown, no blue, no stark white, no silver, no black (ironically my X order was black), dark grey maybe, but pearl white or red.
I go back the next day and ask to drive the first platinum again. Maybe I can get convinced that silver was ok. NOPE the car was sold, the one we drove under heavy rain. Well hell...gotta find another Plstinum. Wow there are NONE. I finally found one in another city just 15 miles away and its my dream, a fully loaded Platinum awd Sienna. MSRP $55k but I wasn’t going to get one for that price, so yeah gave a little more but its ok to me (why? see above about the X).

My new van barely fits in the garage slot it replaced the Pilot that once was. I could eat off the hood from the doorway to my house. Ill need to figure something out but its very long but did fit in the width of my single door garage (3 cars) at 90” wide.

Cant wait to take it to a trip and see what range it really has. It shows 500mi+ full tank.
Let me know if you have any questions as I know whats on the FWD, AWD, Limited, XSE trims.
And oh .. I wonder if people will talk or complain about that strange wobble in the rear 2nd row seat while driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While Im not used to seeing the HUD, my wife has had it in her XSE Camry. She seems to enjoy it and not having to move her eyes off the road. It shows up as a faint white color. It isn’t too bright so it doesnt get in the way at night and is still visible during the day. Its one of those things that you can ignore if you want to or look at it if you like to. It is below my line of sight.
Its nice to have but because Im not used to it, I dont really find it useful and the speedometer is just in the middle of the dash where youd naturally would look. However, with that said, I may start to use it as Im conscious about what my speed is. I however find the power dial much less useful and should be the speedometer since the fancy graphics goes away after seeing it for a while.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats on the new van! I've heard good things about the 4 cylinder hybrid engine despite some reviews claiming it is underpowered. Out of curiosity, how much did Carvana give you for the Pilot?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the new van! I've heard good things about the 4 cylinder hybrid engine despite some reviews claiming it is underpowered. Out of curiosity, how much did Carvana give you for the Pilot?
Only 10.9k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's this wobble you're referring to in the middle row? On our test drive, there was something back there making noise (sounded like paper flapping) but I just assumed it was a sales paper back there somewhere. However, I've read a few more posts regarding the same noise lately. Our sienna hasn't arrived yet so can't confirm if ours has it, but I'd like to know what that was. Hopefully nothing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's this wobble you're referring to in the middle row? On our test drive, there was something back there making noise (sounded like paper flapping) but I just assumed it was a sales paper back there somewhere. However, I've read a few more posts regarding the same noise lately. Our sienna hasn't arrived yet so can't confirm if ours has it, but I'd like to know what that was. Hopefully nothing
In the 5 cars I've tested, the XLE, XSE, Platinum AWD have this issue.
The rear suspension is too stiff and causes the car to wobble when theres no weight (assuming).
The gas tank was near empty and there was no one else sitting in the 2nd row seat besides me, with my wife driving. She told me of the wobble when I first drove and thought what the heck?
So when I experienced it, it felt like how small trucks roll. The bed is empty and the chassis just wobbles over any bump. It exaggerates bumps by a lot. If you've experienced riding in an empty truck, its that same feel. However, the XSE trim did not have this issue as the rear felt planted. The suspension on the XSE is superior, even over the Platinum, which I think is dumb. All van trims should have this suspension.

I asked my wife if she felt this in the Platinum car we bought, she said no its less but this time it has a full tank of gas so we'll see.
I think this might be something that will get smoother over time as the rear suspension breaks in.

One of the XLE we test drove with 5 miles had a very strong burning smell in the rear. I believe it was heating up the seals in the diff or something down there. It caused a lot of burning smell in the cabin.

Regarding the flapping, some cars had this big box of option in the rear and it was flapping back and forth. Most dealers leave the extras loose in the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't noticed the wobble you're talking about. 🤷‍♂️

I had already set my mind to get the Pacifica Pinnacle....thinking there's no way I could tolerate a 4 cylinder and CVT. But the local Toyota dealer called me when they got a couple Siennas in, and I decided it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance. Was very impressed with the drive...as a conservative driver, I determined that the engine would have plenty of power for me in 99% of situations. And the CVT didn't feel super weird like the old belt driven CVT Nissan Versa I test drove years ago. Over the next two days, I learned that the local Chrysler dealer had no idea when the Pinnacle would be available for order (this was the first week of November). I had already sold my 2017 Kia Sedona in mid-October and upon finding out that I didn't mind the 4 cylinder/CVT in the Sienna after all, I wasn't willing to wait indefinitely on the Pacifica Pinnacle to replace the Sedona. So I got the local Toyota dealer to tweak the color on a Platinum that was scheduled to be built in Indiana with the options I wanted, and had them reserve it for delivery to their dealership. It came in on Dec 18, and I came and got it for test driving the next morning. They let me keep it the rest of weekend. Completed purchase on Dec 21.

Satisfied with the Sienna so far. I am occasionally reminded it's a 4 cylider by the noise in certain situations, but after 3 weeks I've really never "felt" that it was a 4 cyl. There are a few other things I wish were different, but truthfully I've felt that way about every vehicle I've ever had.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I had already set my mind to get the Pacifica Pinnacle....thinking there's no way I could tolerate a 4 cylinder and CVT. But the local Toyota dealer called me when they got a couple Siennas in, and I decided it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance. Was very impressed with the drive...as a conservative driver, I determined that the engine would have plenty of power for me in 99% of situations. And the CVT didn't feel super weird like the old belt driven CVT Nissan Versa I test drove years ago. Over the next two days, I learned that the local Chrysler dealer had no idea when the Pinnacle would be available for order (this was the first week of November). I had already sold my 2017 Kia Sedona in mid-October and upon finding out that I didn't mind the 4 cylinder/CVT in the Sienna after all, I wasn't willing to wait indefinitely on the Pacifica Pinnacle to replace the Sedona. So I got the local Toyota dealer to tweak the color on a Platinum that was scheduled to be built in Indiana with the options I wanted, and had them reserve it for delivery to their dealership. It came in on Dec 18, and I came and got it for test driving the next morning. They let me keep it the rest of weekend. Completed purchase on Dec 21.

Satisfied with the Sienna so far. I am occasionally reminded it's a 4 cylider by the noise in certain situations, but after 3 weeks I've really never "felt" that it was a 4 cyl. There are a few other things I wish were different, but truthfully I've felt that way about every vehicle I've ever had.
What did you wish were different?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
62 Posts
It seems to me that the XSE trim is meant for people that aren't transporting people in the back. The suspension and options just don't really support passengers as much. The XLE, Limited, and Platinum that I drove (and the Limited that I bought) definitely are made for a family. The ride is so smooth and quiet that my 4 year old noticed it.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
62 Posts
@CAADet you mentioned the 500 miles to refill, mine shows the same, until I park on a hill. It also goes about 140 miles before it moves off of FULL. If you get this too, would you mind letting me know? I'm in contact with Toyota about it, I think there is a hardware or software issue with the fuel tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What did you wish were different?
I wish it had a blu ray player. I wish the front passenger seat had the same power seat adjustment options. I wish the engine didn’t cut off immediately upon opening a door when started remotely. I wish the heated steering wheel was actually for the entire wheel. I wish the heated/cooled seats settings would reset on start up. I wish it had a USB port for playing movies. I wish there were USB charge ports in the third row on the driver’s side. I wish the motor wasn’t as noisy at moderate RPMs. I wish there was a hybrid V6 option. I wish there were more interior color scheme choices for the Platinum. I wish the driver easy speak feature could be toggled by a button on the dash or steering wheel. I wish the rear cargo area had better lighting. I wish it had a capless fuel tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I had already set my mind to get the Pacifica Pinnacle....thinking there's no way I could tolerate a 4 cylinder and CVT.

The wobble is felt when I sat in the 2nd row. It is the amplification of bumps from the rear. Sitting in front seats won’t feel it. If you go over bumps try looking back at the 2nd row seats and notice how they vibrate. I had the seat all the way back. Car was nearly empty on gas.

I was rooting for the Pacifica but my parents had a Chrysler 300 with the same engine and it died on the road. My dad was a gear head and does his maintenance . I dont trust FCA because of Italian quality. I had a Ducati x-diavel that pissed coolant on the same day I rode it home. I just don’t like those experiences.

I had a 2010 Prius, was my wife’s car, I hated it the day I brought it home and changed it to a 300hp Camry XSE but that damn auto tranny sucks at gear selection. But driving the Sienna, even though its the same tech engine, I never felt bothered. Yeah it groans on high power delivery but that doesnt last long as that gas tank staying at full, for such a big car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@CAADet you mentioned the 500 miles to refill, mine shows the same, until I park on a hill. It also goes about 140 miles before it moves off of FULL. If you get this too, would you mind letting me know? I'm in contact with Toyota about it, I think there is a hardware or software issue with the fuel tank.
I will check, I believe Im at 150mi and its still there. hmm
Ill say this, in our Camry the gas gauge doesnt drop till its 1/4 tank then it rapidly drops in the last quarter tank. Hardly accurate.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
62 Posts
@CAADet yeah that’s really frustrating. Does the “Distance to empty” number change drastically on your Camry as well? Or is it pretty consistent all the way through?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven’t looked since its my wife’s car. But thinking it would get data from the same sensor it would. Ill pay attention to the Sienna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another new guy here. I was also looking at the Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle vs the Sienna Platinum. Neither was available here, so I ended up getting a Sienna Limited. The '21 Pacificas were supposed to be in on 1/4/21, but still haven't shown up. The dealers show "vehicle in transit" for all of them. I decided the test the Sienna Limited and my wife decided that she HAD TO HAVE the seats with the foot rest, so the Sienna won out. That also meant AWD was out.

I'm interested to see how it really does on fuel mileage. I've put 160 miles on it and the computer shows 35 mpg with about 425 miles of range left. The gauge just got down to the full line, which is weird. We have a second home in the mountains about 4 hours away. I'm thinking of taking it up there next week to see how it handles the 6 - 8% grades. On the trips to the mountains, I used to fold the seats in the floor of the Pacifica and my wife would sleep on a foam mattress in the back with the dogs. The Sienna has the entertainment option, so I think she'll kick back in the second row seats and watch movies on the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the Sienna Club! Took the first road trip in ours yesterday and got to experience the cruise control hit the brakes when the car in front of us abruptly stopped due to several deer jumping over the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts